|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first magic story by P'u Sung-ling from 1668, what event does a young boy attend?
2. What are people forced to do even if they are naked during an earthquake?
3. In "Hsi-liu," how old is the widow when she is forced to raise two sons on her own?
4. Who does not understand the law and thinks it is more convoluted that it is in fact in the Woman P'eng story?
5. What is complicated and difficult to follow in Chinese society regarding inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story about the old widow and her fantasy that P'u Sung-ling shares?
2. How is Feng K'o-t'san described in Chapter 1, the Observers?
3. Describe the story of the boy and the magical trick.
4. Describe the heavy demands of the tax system in the 1640s in T'an-ch'eng.
5. What did Huang Liu-hung say about the peasant misery in the famine?
6. How does a woman's rights compare to that of her son?
7. Describe Hsiao-erh and Ting's relationship.
8. Describe corvee in T'an-ch'eng in the 1640s.
9. How does Lien's killer misunderstand the Chinese law?
10. Describe Hsi-liu and her struggle with Ch'ang hu.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taoism strongly emphasizes the relationship of people to the environment in harmony. How does this belief system contrast with the violence depicted in the book? Can such actions such as Ts'ui and Li's in response to injustice be reconciled with Taoism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in the story of Woman Wang? When is it acceptable to be sexual and to whom in Chinese society at the time? When is sexual freedom punished by the law? Describe in relationship to the fictional stories presented by P'u Sung-ling and the real life story of the Woman Wang.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title, The Death of Woman Wang? Why did Spence choose this as the title? Do you think this choice is appropriate? Why or why not?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)