|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are people forced to do even if they are naked during an earthquake?
2. Huang tells a story about a heavy snowfall in what year?
3. What is another name for forced labor in Huang's story?
4. How does a woman make medical prescriptions in one of the stories told by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
5. From where does a woman who is a spirit medium produce a voice in one of the stories told by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Huang's relationship with local landlords and unpaid taxes.
2. How does a woman's rights compare to that of her son?
3. What is the temptation that arose from the complex Chinese legal code about marriage and widows?
4. Describe Hsiao-erh and Ting's relationship.
5. Describe Huang Liu-hung's work as an official for the county.
6. What is the story that P'eng's husband's relatives make up in order to attack Lien?
7. What is the challenge that P'eng faces after her husband dies in the story of Woman P'eng?
8. How is Feng K'o-t'san described in Chapter 1, the Observers?
9. What did Huang Liu-hung say about the peasant misery in the famine?
10. What is the funny story involving a fox and a rebellion that P'u Sung-ling tells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natural disasters occurred throughout the narrative.. How did these events impact Huang and in what ways? Describe, giving examples of observations he made about T'ang-Ch'eng.
Essay Topic 2
Taoism strongly emphasizes the relationship of people to the environment in harmony. How does this belief system contrast with the violence depicted in the book? Can such actions such as Ts'ui and Li's in response to injustice be reconciled with Taoism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Spence's book covers primarily a third-person narrative with some stories interwoven. Do you find this style choppy? Why or why not? Is it comprehensive? Does it flow well?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)