|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ends up becoming Li's servant for a year?
2. What does Jen's wife's supposed killer admit to doing?
(a) Hitting Kao.
(b) Hitting Huang.
(c) Hitting Jen.
(d) Hitting Ts'ao.
3. Who is the magistrate overseeing the case of the murder?
4. What is not fully enforced during the trial?
(a) Full practical application.
(b) Full severity of the law.
(c) Respectful judgment.
(d) Innocent arrests.
5. How far away is T'an-ch'eng from Jen's house?
(a) 16 miles.
(b) 3 miles.
(c) 8 miles.
(d) 24 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Ts'ui's wife who is captured in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories?
2. Who is the local farmer who steps over the adjoining Wang land boundary with his livestock?
3. When Jen's wife's body is examined, what is noticed about her?
4. When is Jen's wife's supposed killer brought to trial?
5. After the death of his wife, where does Jen and his father walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict between a local farmer and another Wang family?
2. Why is keeping order difficult in T'an-ch'eng County?
3. What is the story that P'u Sung-ling writes about a woman confronting rampaging soldiers?
4. How does Kao get involved in Jen and Wang's marital dspute at the temple?
5. How is the woman Wang described in Chapter 5?
6. What is Chinese law regarding adultery?
7. What does Li do to avenge the death of Wang's wife?
8. What is Jen's punishment for killing his wife?
9. Why is Kao made to pay for Wang's burial?
10. What is done to placate Wang's ghost and why?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)