|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the snowfall fail to lessen in Huang's story?
(a) Air conditioning bill.
(c) Tax burden.
(d) Electric bill.
2. What is a county in Northeastern China, in the province of Shantung?
3. In the story of Woman P'eng, what is the name of the young son?
4. What story is about people who survive through their magical powers?
(d) White Lotus.
5. What act does the official consider morally evil and degrading that many people in China are doing?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what custom does a woman return dowry to her husband's family?
2. In the second magic story, what does a man who falls asleep dream of?
3. What are people forced to do even if they are naked during an earthquake?
4. What is NOT part of the loot when the city is ransacked?
5. Who does the young boy see leading government officials in the first magic story by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hsiao-erh save the the people in the village from drought and famine?
2. What happened in the story of the man falling asleep and dreaming?
3. Describe corvee in T'an-ch'eng in the 1640s.
4. What is the story about the old widow and her fantasy that P'u Sung-ling shares?
5. What is the temptation that arose from the complex Chinese legal code about marriage and widows?
6. Describe the snowfall and its effect on the farmers in T'an-ch'eng in 1671.
7. What is the challenge that P'eng faces after her husband dies in the story of Woman P'eng?
8. Describe Hsi-liu and her struggle with Ch'ang fu.
9. What is the story that P'eng's husband's relatives make up in order to attack Lien?
10. How is Feng K'o-t'san described in Chapter 1, the Observers?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)