|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the young couple buy for themselves after they elope?
(a) Farm and implements.
(b) Furniture and clothes.
(c) A house and animals.
(d) Drugs and supplies.
2. What is cruelly enforced in the countryside more than the city according to the magistrate?
3. In "The Local History of T'an-ch'eng," who do widows struggle to raise?
4. From whom does the young girl learn magical powers in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories?
(d) Sect leader.
5. What do some soldiers in T'an-ch'eng do when the change of government occurs?
(a) Cry, shout, and revel.
(b) Drink, feast, and be merry.
(c) Rape, pillage, and murder.
(d) Rip, scream, and shout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ting arrested?
2. Who does not understand the law and thinks it is more convoluted that it is in fact in the Woman P'eng story?
3. Who writes the misery of the peasants during the ransacking?
4. Who is the writer that says this earthquake is one of the natural disasters of the time?
5. What is a profession of parents in "The Local History of T'an-ch'eng?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Huang Liu-hung find most disturbing about the people in his county?
2. What kind of loot does the Manchu army take in 1643?
3. How does Lien's killer misunderstand the Chinese law?
4. What magic does Hsiao-erh practice to escape with Ting and to survive the bandits?
5. Describe what happens after the famine in T'ang-Ch'en in 1641.
6. What is the story about the old widow and her fantasy that P'u Sung-ling shares?
7. What happens after the Manchus take power in T'an-ch'eng in 1644?
8. Describe the story of the boy and the magical trick.
9. Describe the snowfall and its effect on the farmers in T'an-ch'eng in 1671.
10. Describe Hsi-liu and her struggle with Ch'ang hu.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)