|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are people forced to do even if they are naked during an earthquake?
(b) Stay inside.
(c) Stay outside.
2. From what position is Feng fired?
(c) Taoist mystic.
(d) Public officer.
3. Who by law stands to gain the inheritance lawfully in the Woman P'eng story?
4. Who is educated to read and write by her scholar father and then struggles to raise two boys in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
5. How many males does T'an-ch'eng have to provide for forced labor at one time?
Short Answer Questions
1. As power changed hands in China in 1644, what did not decline?
2. What are taxes used to maintain in Huang's story?
3. What does the widow with the two sons run well in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
4. What scheme does the husband's relatives have to inherit the widow's property in Woman P'eng?
5. In "The Local History of T'an-ch'eng," who do widows struggle to raise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Huang Liu-hung find most disturbing about the people in his county?
2. Describe the heavy demands of the tax system in the 1640s in T'an-ch'eng.
3. What do many widows do to raise their children?
4. Describe Hsi-liu and her struggle with Ch'ang hu.
5. What kind of loot does the Manchu army take in 1643?
6. What happens after the Manchus take power in T'an-ch'eng in 1644?
7. What is the pao-chia system?
8. What is the story of The Fighting Cricket?
9. What is the pressure put on widows regarding marriage?
10. What is the challenge that P'eng faces after her husband dies in the story of Woman P'eng?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)