|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the young couple buy for themselves after they elope?
(a) A house and animals.
(b) Farm and implements.
(c) Furniture and clothes.
(d) Drugs and supplies.
2. In "Hsi-liu," how old is the widow when she is forced to raise two sons on her own?
3. What are the two major crops in Peking during the heavy snowfall described in Huang's story?
(a) Sorghum and beets.
(b) Winter wheat and sorghum.
(c) Sorghum and barley.
(d) Sorghum and potatoes.
4. By the Chinese law, what does the boy's killer receive in the Woman P'eng story?
(d) Death sentence.
5. The majority of people rebel against what Emperor?
6. According to what custom does a woman return dowry to her husband's family?
(a) Ch'ang-hu inheritance.
(b) Chinese legal code.
(c) Hsi-liu notary.
(d) P'eng policy.
7. In "The Local History of T'an-ch'eng," who do widows struggle to raise?
8. Who does the young boy see leading government officials in the first magic story by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
(a) Magician and son.
(b) Artist and cook.
(c) Lawyer and son.
(d) Writer and daughter.
9. How far away do workers have to go for forced labor in Huang's story?
(a) 2000 miles.
(b) 400 miles.
(c) 100 miles.
(d) 25 miles.
10. What is the name of the Revolution described in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories?
(d) White Lotus.
11. Who writes the misery of the peasants during the ransacking?
(c) Huang Liu-hung.
(d) Feng K'o-t'san.
12. Who by law stands to gain the inheritance lawfully in the Woman P'eng story?
13. To whom does the goddess ask the man to write a challenge in the second magic story by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
14. What is a county in Northeastern China, in the province of Shantung?
15. What storage facilities are abandoned during the time of the famine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous philosopher has ties to T'ang-ch'eng?
2. Who is the writer that says this earthquake is one of the natural disasters of the time?
3. Who is dragged out of school and beaten to death in the Woman P'eng story?
4. What act does the official consider morally evil and degrading that many people in China are doing?
5. What skill does the woman who makes medical prescriptions have in one of the stories told by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)