|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the younger son end up becoming after going to jail in "Hsi-liu?"
(a) A successful father.
(b) A successful merchant.
(c) A successful student.
(d) A successful scholar.
2. What is another name for sorghum?
(c) T'an Cheng.
(d) Peking Duck.
3. What does the widow force the lazy person to do in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
(a) Work in the fields.
(b) Herd pigs.
(c) Fight men.
(d) Count sheep.
4. What does the widow with the two sons run well in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
(b) Family business.
5. What do some soldiers in T'an-ch'eng do when the change of government occurs?
(a) Rape, pillage, and murder.
(b) Cry, shout, and revel.
(c) Rip, scream, and shout.
(d) Drink, feast, and be merry.
6. In Huang's "Local History," who are pressed to remarry?
7. According to what custom does a woman return dowry to her husband's family?
(a) Ch'ang-hu inheritance.
(b) P'eng policy.
(c) Chinese legal code.
(d) Hsi-liu notary.
8. What do the young couple set up as a new occupation after Ting is freed by a large bribe?
(a) Glass factory.
(b) Herbal shop.
(c) Tax accountancy firm.
(d) Shoe shop.
9. From where does a woman who is a spirit medium produce a voice in one of the stories told by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
(a) Below a box.
(b) Behind a fan.
(c) Above the stairs.
(d) In a garden.
10. What system is used to maintain public order, police functions, and militia defense to deal with attacks by bandits in Huang's story?
11. What is the exam that the sons of widows need to pass?
12. From what position is Feng fired?
(b) Taoist mystic.
(d) Public officer.
13. What does a rich bandit give the couple?
(a) 2,000 taels.
(b) 1,000 taels.
(c) 4,000 taels.
(d) 3,000 taels.
14. As power changed hands in China in 1644, what did not decline?
15. Who writes the misery of the peasants during the ransacking?
(a) Feng K'o-t'san.
(b) Huang Liu-hung.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are taxes used to maintain in Huang's story?
2. What does the snowfall fail to lessen in Huang's story?
3. What does the couple use to elope?
4. What is used for fertilizer for sorghum cultivation in Peking in Huang's story?
5. By the Chinese law, what does the boy's killer receive in the Woman P'eng story?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)