|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lacks an heir after the death of the young boy in the Woman P'eng story?
2. Who does Liu meet with the police who is threatened by starvation?
(a) A married couple.
(b) His fox spirit.
(c) His spirit medium.
(d) His magistrate.
3. What are the two major crops in Peking during the heavy snowfall described in Huang's story?
(a) Sorghum and barley.
(b) Sorghum and beets.
(c) Winter wheat and sorghum.
(d) Sorghum and potatoes.
4. What is complicated and difficult to follow in Chinese society regarding inheritance?
(a) Tax code.
(c) Chinese law.
5. After what event in 1641 is there an attack on the city by bandits?
6. Who by law stands to gain the inheritance lawfully in the Woman P'eng story?
7. What subject is some of the widows knowledgeable about?
8. Since the widow does not have any rights at all, what do the cousins believe that by killing the boy they could get in the Woman P'eng story?
9. As power changed hands in China in 1644, what did not decline?
10. In the second magic story, what does a man who falls asleep dream of?
11. From what position is Feng fired?
(b) Taoist mystic.
(d) Public officer.
12. How far away do workers have to go for forced labor in Huang's story?
(a) 400 miles.
(b) 25 miles.
(c) 2000 miles.
(d) 100 miles.
13. Who does the couple ransom after the war is over?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their daughter.
(c) Their nephew.
(d) Their niece.
14. To what spirit is a shrine made in T'ang-ch'eng to protect from evil spirits in the 17th century?
(b) P'u Sung-ling.
15. What is cruelly enforced in the countryside more than the city according to the magistrate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the widow with the two sons run well in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
2. Who does the widow beat because he is lazy in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
3. Who visits an old woman who is spinning in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
4. In "Hsi-liu," how old is the widow when she is forced to raise two sons on her own?
5. What is the exam that the sons of widows need to pass?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)