|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the couple use to elope?
(d) Magical kites.
2. What is used for fertilizer for sorghum cultivation in Peking in Huang's story?
(a) Coal and wood pellets.
(b) Artificial pellets.
(c) Vegetable compost.
(d) Human and animal waste.
3. Who is an official who passed his scholarly chu-jen examination?
(a) Feng K'o-t'san.
(c) Huang Liu-hung.
4. Huang tells a story about a heavy snowfall in what year?
5. After what event in 1641 is there an attack on the city by bandits?
6. What is the name of the Revolution described in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories?
(b) White Lotus.
7. By the Chinese law, what does the boy's killer receive in the Woman P'eng story?
(d) Death sentence.
8. What does the old woman fantasize about her guest in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
(a) Talking to her.
(b) Sleeping with her.
(c) Traveling with him.
(d) Sleeping with him.
9. What does the widow with the two sons run well in one of P'u Sung-Ling's stories about widows?
(c) Family business.
10. What skill does the woman who makes medical prescriptions have in one of the stories told by P'u Sung-ling from 1668?
11. Who is the writer that says this earthquake is one of the natural disasters of the time?
(a) Huang Liu-hung.
(d) Feng K'o-t'san.
12. To what spirit is a shrine made in T'ang-ch'eng to protect from evil spirits in the 17th century?
(b) P'u Sung-ling.
13. What does the killer of the boy expect as he claims the murder was revenge in the Woman P'eng story?
14. What act does the official consider morally evil and degrading that many people in China are doing?
15. Who attacks the couple and have to be stopped by magic?
(b) Tribal people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a county in Northeastern China, in the province of Shantung?
2. In "Hsi-liu," how old is the widow when she is forced to raise two sons on her own?
3. What is the exam that the sons of widows need to pass?
4. What are taxes used to maintain in Huang's story?
5. In "The Local History of T'an-ch'eng," who do widows struggle to raise?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)