|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two of Hester Westaway's children were born as twins?
2. Who flashes a "Cheshire cat smile" (68) at Hal during the funeral for Hester Westaway?
3. In what position is octogenarian Mrs. Warren employed within Trepassen House?
4. Hal's mother mentioned that Hal's father had sported what kind of accent?
5. What is NOT an emotion Hal feels as she looks at pictures of the Westaway family's opulent lifestyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss an instance when Ware uses personification to suggest the qualities of Trepassen House.
2. Name one main theme introduced by the novel's epigraph in The Death of Mrs. Westaway.
3. Discuss an instance when Ware uses a simile to indicate a violent emotional reaction.
4. Who is Mrs. Warren?
5. For what occasion must the Westaway family travel to Penzance together and how do they get there?
6. What distinction does Hal make between two different types of her clientele?
7. How and why does Abel's reaction to the news about the inheritance differ from his brother Harding's reaction?
8. What drastic change in Hal's life occurred just before her 18th birthday?
9. How does the theme of trust enter the narrative within the diary entry featured at the end of Chapter 10?
10. What are the contents of Hester Westaway's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ware’s use of the motif of water within the novel The Death of Mrs. Westaway.
Essay Topic 2
Could The Death of Mrs. Westaway be classified as a coming-of-age story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ways in which the themes of adaptability and resignation appear within Ware’s novel The Death of Mrs. Westaway. What message is Ware sending about these two themes over the course of the narrative?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)