|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the diary entry included at the end of Chapter 25, what object is revealed to have been used to scratch words into the attic window?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A rock.
(c) A seashell.
(d) A key.
2. When Hal gets to the village of St. Piran, the narrator describes it as "a collection of buildings blown together like" (254) what?
(b) Pick-up sticks.
(d) Lincoln logs.
3. How many miles lie between Trepassen House and the village of St. Piran?
4. Hal is nearby what structure when she falls to her knees "inches from the lake surface" (290) in Chapter 39?
(a) The shed.
(b) The garage.
(c) The servants' quarters.
(d) The boathouse.
5. Hal feels anger toward which member of her family as she sets out for her walk to the village of St. Piran?
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lizzie reports having seen Maggie sporting "a black eye and a split lip" (259) while on her way to what location one day?
2. In what country does Ezra live full-time?
3. How many minutes late for the appointment with Mr. Treswick do Hal and Ezra arrive?
4. A diary entry included in Chapter 22 features which character's return home during a break from Oxford?
5. Abel takes what action before Hal can complete his tarot reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an instance when Ware uses white space to intensify the impact of a particular sentence in the text.
2. What does Hal find out when she speaks with Lizzie?
3. When Hal gets back to her flat in Brighton in Chapter 28 and finds a diary in the box under her bed, what does she learn?
4. Describe a chapter that acts as a builder of tension and then as a diffuser of tension, for the purposes of maintaining suspense throughout the work.
5. Who is Lizzie?
6. What special sadness does Ezra express to Hal about the death of his twin sister Maud?
7. What is the most popular theory among Abel, Ezra, and Harding in relation to their mother's motive for drawing up her will the way she had?
8. What does Hal decide in Chapter 33 about Mrs. Warren's reason for staying silent about the identity of Hal's mother and why does her conclusion frighten her?
9. What is the real reason why Hal takes the four-mile walk to St. Piran village in Chapter 34?
10. How does Hal sustain a physical injury in Chapter 38?
This section contains 1,526 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)