|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hal performs a tarot reading for herself in Chapter 7, she draws the card depicting the Page of which objects?
2. What is NOT the name of one of Hester Westaway's three sons?
3. In Chapter 17, Hal mistakenly wanders into rooms belonging to whom?
(b) Mrs. Warren.
4. Which character pulls Hal into a hug upon meeting her in Chapter 12?
5. About how many years before the narrative present had Hal taken out a loan from Mr. Smith?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Hal a ride to the noon appointment at Mr. Treswick's office in Chapter 20?
2. Hal's tattoo on her side and back pictures what sort of bird?
3. Who flashes a "Cheshire cat smile" (68) at Hal during the funeral for Hester Westaway?
4. Which character uses their medical training to examine Hal in Chapter 15?
5. The charitable donations box shaped like an ice cream cone changes in what way as Hal walks away from it in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distinction does Hal make between two different types of her clientele?
2. What does the narrator mean with the claim that Hal tells her clients not only what they wanted to hear, but "What they needed to know as well" (24)?
3. Who is Mrs. Warren?
4. Describe the three Westaway brothers' three different reactions to the news that Hal is Maud's daughter.
5. Name one main theme introduced by the novel's epigraph in The Death of Mrs. Westaway.
6. Describe Hal's job.
7. In what way does Ware join together the themes of free will and responsibility?
8. For what reason is Hal herself dismayed when the contents of Hester Westaway's will are revealed?
9. What meaningful item does Hal keep on her mantelpiece and what does the object symbolize?
10. Discuss an instance when Ware uses personification to suggest the qualities of Trepassen House.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)