|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are featured in the only photograph Abel gives to Hal?
2. What liquid splashes onto Hal's face when the man with the lisp destroys her property?
3. How old is Hal when the novel begins?
4. At the end of Chapter 2, Hal feels which emotion that "she hadn't dared to feel in many years" (12)?
5. In Chapter 12, when Hal decides that she does not feel like an athlete after all, she decides that she instead "feels like a grandmaster before a" (90) what?
(a) Court hearing.
(c) Chess match.
(d) Piano concert.
Short Answer Questions
1. The charitable donations box shaped like an ice cream cone changes in what way as Hal walks away from it in Chapter 6?
2. Hal's mother mentioned that Hal's father had sported what kind of accent?
3. In Chapter 8, the reader learns that Hal's mother had died "a couple of days before" (55) which of Hal's birthdays?
4. What color is Hal's hair?
5. Of what material is the heavy box made that Hal uses to hold all of her important documents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader come to find out that Maud and the writer of the diary had been cousins?
2. What are the contents of Hester Westaway's will?
3. What two metaphors having to do with games and sports does Hal conjure up when thinking about her plan to deceive the Westaway family?
4. Discuss an instance when Ware uses personification to suggest the qualities of Trepassen House.
5. In what way does Ware join together the themes of free will and responsibility?
6. What distinction does Hal make between two different types of her clientele?
7. How does the theme of trust enter the narrative within the diary entry featured at the end of Chapter 10?
8. Name one main theme introduced by the novel's epigraph in The Death of Mrs. Westaway.
9. What does the narrator mean with the claim that Hal tells her clients not only what they wanted to hear, but "What they needed to know as well" (24)?
10. What severe mistake does Hal nearly make when talking to Freddie, Harding's 12-year-old son, for the first time?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)