|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the taxi driver at the Penzance train station say the fare will be to St. Piran's Church?
(a) 25 pounds.
(b) 10 pounds.
(c) 5 pounds.
(d) 50 pounds.
2. In what position is octogenarian Mrs. Warren employed within Trepassen House?
(b) Interior designer.
3. Into what location does Hal put her tarot cards and the picture Abel had given her before going downstairs to answer Harding's summons in Chapter 19?
(a) Behind the wainscoting.
(b) Her back pocket.
(c) Under the sink.
(d) Her suitcase.
4. Which member of the Westaway family appears not to have an online presence?
5. Hal's mother mentioned that Hal's father had sported what kind of accent?
(b) New Zealander.
6. What sort of aid does Mrs. Warren use to help her move around?
(a) A cane.
(b) A pair of leg braces.
(c) A wheelchair.
(d) A walker.
7. In whose honor does Hal say she had gotten a tattoo of a bird?
(a) Her aunt's.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) Her grandmother's.
(d) Her sister's.
8. Who flashes a "Cheshire cat smile" (68) at Hal during the funeral for Hester Westaway?
(d) Mrs. Warren.
9. What does Hal do when she hears that Harriet Westaway has been awarded the remainder of Hester Westaway's estate?
(a) She sits down quickly.
(b) She screams.
(c) She faints.
(d) She covers her face.
10. When Hal performs a tarot reading for herself in Chapter 7, she draws the card depicting the Page of which objects?
11. To what creatures does the narrator compare the black sedans that bring the Westaway family to Trepassen from the funeral?
12. In Chapter 16, Hal receives a threatening text message from one of Mr. Smith's lackeys that states only which two words?
(a) Five days.
(b) Take care.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Hurry up.
13. Hal's tattoo on her side and back pictures what sort of bird?
(a) A starling.
(b) A robin.
(c) A swallow.
(d) A magpie.
14. In Chapter 12, when Hal decides that she does not feel like an athlete after all, she decides that she instead "feels like a grandmaster before a" (90) what?
(a) Chess match.
(b) Court hearing.
(c) Piano concert.
15. Hal finds a letter in the recycle bin inviting her to Trepassen House at the behest of what kind of person?
(a) An aunt.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were held responsible for the death of Hal's mother?
2. What kind of food is Hal carrying home to her flat in Brighton in Chapter 1?
3. At the end of Chapter 2, Hal feels which emotion that "she hadn't dared to feel in many years" (12)?
4. Maggie's diary entry included in Chapter 18 describes the father of her baby's eyes in what way?
5. About how many years before the narrative present had Hal taken out a loan from Mr. Smith?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)