|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the customer pay that Alex is helping at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. Where does Alex go to scream curses at an empty building?
3. By June 4, how many mass suicides had there been in and around Los Angeles?
4. How often does Alex try on Bri's birthday to get a dial tone and call her?
5. What landmark has Alex heard was destroyed during the disaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alex's new headmaster.
2. Where do Alex and Julie get food to replace their dwindling supplies?
3. Where does Brianna have a chance to go?
4. Who is the new headmaster for Alex's school after the disaster?
5. What does Alex see when he approaches his apartment after work on May 18?
6. Why does a tenant call Alex's apartment in Chapter 5?
7. Why does Chris give Alex his father's business card?
8. Why is it thought that there will be more tsunamis?
9. Why does Briana think that the blackout has something to do with the moon?
10. What is a bigger problem than the earthquake on August 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 17, Alex still has hope even through the long tortuous walk to the Port Authority. The objective of this lesson is to discuss hope and where Alex and Bri find hope.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 17, after Alex finds Harvey dead, he makes a note to pray for Harvey's soul. Discuss the role of prayer in the Morales children's lives.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Alex considers rules and the structure they impose. Discuss rules and Alex's feelings about rules.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)