|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is Bri's birthday?
2. How often does Alex try on Bri's birthday to get a dial tone and call her?
3. What does Julie worry won't survive in her garden now that the sun isn't shining?
4. What time is the mass that Alex attends in Chapter 2?
5. From which apartment do Alex and Julie get Oreos and other food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the new headmaster for Alex's school after the disaster?
2. What does Alex see when he approaches his apartment after work on May 18?
3. Why does Bri think her mother hasn't called?
4. Why does Chris give Alex his father's business card?
5. Why does Alex wake up on the sofa on June 30?
6. Why does a tenant call Alex's apartment in Chapter 5?
7. What will determine if Alex is able to attend Georgetown?
8. Why is it so important for Alex and Julie to get to Morse before eight?
9. At the end of August, what happened to Julie's garden?
10. What are two reasons why the sky might be gray and the air taste funny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 17, after Alex finds Harvey dead, he makes a note to pray for Harvey's soul. Discuss the role of prayer in the Morales children's lives.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, James Flaherty returns from a summer spent in Pennsylvania. Compare and contrast the conditions in New York City and in Pennsylvania.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 15, Alex has an external conflict that he is struggling with. Then he faces some internal conflicts because of decisions he has made. Discuss conflicts that Alex faced throughout the novel.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)