|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What classes are offered at St. Vincent de Paul by August?
2. Where does Bob from 12D work?
3. In Chapter 7, what street do Alex and Julie walk down as they head to the food distribution?
4. How many priests are missing when Alex first returns to school?
5. Which saint does Alex say must be very busy interceding for everyone who's praying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there no convents that can take Julie?
2. What did Uncle Jimmy say happened to cause the emergency?
3. What is a bigger problem than the earthquake on August 1?
4. Why is Alex's father gone at the time the novel opens?
5. What will determine if Alex is able to attend Georgetown?
6. What does Alex see when he approaches his apartment after work on May 18?
7. Describe Alex's new headmaster.
8. What is Briana's schedule at the farm?
9. At the end of August, what happened to Julie's garden?
10. Where does Brianna have a chance to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, Alex has an external conflict that he is struggling with. Then he faces some internal conflicts because of decisions he has made. Discuss conflicts that Alex faced throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, Alex begins to realize that rules are sometimes meant to be broken. The objective of this lesson is to discuss how and why Alex begins to realize that sometimes rules are meant to be broken.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 9-10, there are more health concerns and more people die. Discuss the health conditions after the disaster and how they were dealt with.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)