|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Uncle Jimmy and his family going when they leave New York?
2. At school, who refuses to pick up a piece of paper when Alex asks that it be picked up?
3. How many postcards does Alex find in his mailbox on July 19?
4. Where does Alex go to scream curses at an empty building?
5. What is the name of the customer Alex is helping at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Uncle Jimmy and his family going and why?
2. Why does Kevin take vodka rather than food for the items he collects body shopping?
3. Why is it so important for Alex and Julie to get to Morse before eight?
4. What is a bigger problem than the earthquake on August 1?
5. Why is Alex's father gone at the time the novel opens?
6. Describe Alex's new headmaster.
7. Why does Alex wake up on the sofa on June 30?
8. Why doesn't Alex set with his friends when he goes to the chapel in Chapter 3?
9. Why does a tenant call Alex's apartment in Chapter 5?
10. When Father Mulrooney tells Alex he can't have lunch because he hasn't done his work, why does Alex just leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Alex decides to throw Julie a birthday party. Discuss Julie's birthday party and what it meant to everyone to be able to have a birthday party.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 17, Alex realizes that Bri and Julie have been taking care of him just as he has taken care of them. Discuss how the siblings have been taking care of one another.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, Alex still has hope even through the long tortuous walk to the Port Authority. The objective of this lesson is to discuss hope and where Alex and Bri find hope.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)