|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the customer pay that Alex is helping at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What does Julie worry won't survive in her garden now that the sun isn't shining?
3. At school, who refuses to pick up a piece of paper when Alex asks that it be picked up?
4. How many girls are being asked to stay indefinitely at a convent in upstate New York?
5. What is the name of the cousin that Uncle Jimmy and his family will stay with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alex see when he approaches his apartment after work on May 18?
2. What did Uncle Jimmy say happened to cause the emergency?
3. Why does Father Franco tell his parishioners to boil their drinking water and wear insect repellent?
4. What advice does Sister Rita give Alex?
5. Describe Alex's new headmaster.
6. What does Alex learn about conditions in Puerto Rico in Chapter 4?
7. Why are there no convents that can take Julie?
8. Why does Greg Dunlap give Alex the keys to his apartment and to his neighbors' apartment?
9. Why does Kevin take vodka rather than food for the items he collects body shopping?
10. What is a bigger problem than the earthquake on August 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, Alex goes to Yankee Stadium to try to find his mother. Discuss the trip to Yankee Stadium and Alex's feelings about the trip.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, Alex and Julie go to their first food distribution. Discuss the food distribution and whether it solves or creates problems.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Alex considers rules and the structure they impose. Discuss rules and Alex's feelings about rules.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)