|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex eat for lunch at school on August 8?
2. At what street does Alex try to find a subway station?
3. What is James Flaherty's father's occupation?
4. In Chapter 5, which apartment has a leaking bathroom sink?
5. Which saint does Alex say must be very busy interceding for everyone who's praying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alex's father gone at the time the novel opens?
2. What does Alex learn about conditions in Puerto Rico in Chapter 4?
3. Why doesn't Alex set with his friends when he goes to the chapel in Chapter 3?
4. At the end of August, what happened to Julie's garden?
5. What are two reasons why the sky might be gray and the air taste funny?
6. Why does Father Franco tell his parishioners to boil their drinking water and wear insect repellent?
7. Where is Uncle Jimmy and his family going and why?
8. Why does Chris give Alex his father's business card?
9. What is Briana's schedule at the farm?
10. Describe Alex's new headmaster.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Alex and Julie are able to stretch their dwindling food supplies. Discuss how Alex and Julie are able to get enough food to survive.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 17, after Alex finds Harvey dead, he makes a note to pray for Harvey's soul. Discuss the role of prayer in the Morales children's lives.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11 Bri comes home. Discuss why Bri and five other girls returned to New York.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)