|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Julie's best friend?
2. In Chapter 9, who is Julie's new best friend?
3. How long does a scientist who is being interviewed on television believe it will take for life to return to normal?
4. What color hair does one dead girl have in Yankee Stadium?
5. On which coast of Puerto Rico were all the villages and small town decimated?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of August, what happened to Julie's garden?
2. When Father Mulrooney tells Alex he can't have lunch because he hasn't done his work, why does Alex just leave?
3. Why does Bri think her mother hasn't called?
4. Why does Chris give Alex his father's business card?
5. What does Alex learn about the situation in New York from the television news stations?
6. What does Alex see when he approaches his apartment after work on May 18?
7. Why does Father Franco tell his parishioners to boil their drinking water and wear insect repellent?
8. Where is Uncle Jimmy and his family going and why?
9. What does Alex learn about conditions in Puerto Rico in Chapter 4?
10. Why does a tenant call Alex's apartment in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, the Morales children have theories about why their mother hasn't called. Discuss these reasons.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 13-14, Alex worries about his sisters and wants to get them out of New York City. Discuss places Alex and his sisters could have gone and which option Alex chooses.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, after Alex finds Harvey dead, he makes a note to pray for Harvey's soul. Discuss the role of prayer in the Morales children's lives.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)