|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bill seem to be looking forward to the future?
(a) He can find a new profession.
(b) He is no longer employed.
(c) He can find a new wife.
(d) He is no longer a cog, but his own master.
2. What do some nations eject into space?
(a) Nuclear missiles.
(b) Satellites with atomic heads.
(c) Unwanted people.
3. What does the sighted leader of blind drunks take from the streets and give to one of the men?
(a) A dog.
(b) A child.
(c) A cat.
(d) A woman.
4. Why does Josella wear such extravagant clothing the first evening Bill and she are together?
(a) She is saying goodbye to frivolity.
(b) She always dresses in such a manner.
(c) She is trying to entice Bill.
(d) She is trying to reclaim her beauty.
5. What is the function of the Colonel?
(a) He admits individuals into the sighted colony.
(b) He admits individuals into the blind colony.
(c) He is in charge of assigning duties.
(d) He is in charge of the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bill go in the beginning of Chapter Three?
2. What feeling does Bill have at the end of Chapter Three?
3. Where do Bill and Josella agree the light in the night came from?
4. What happened to Bill as a child that caused curiosity about triffids?
5. What does the narrator note occurred on May 7th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances that resulted in Bill's hospitalization.
2. What clues does the narrator have that there is something wrong when he wakes in the hospital?
3. Describe the walking style of a triffid.
4. What surprises Josella about her actions when she was captive?
5. Do you agree with Bill's statement at the end of Chapter Six that man is lost without his ability to see? Why or why not?
6. Give a brief explanation of the various speculations pertaining to the coming of the triffids.
7. Describe the different aspects of society Bill and Josella say goodbye to in Chapter Five.
8. Explain why Bill feels a sense of relief at his new situation?
9. Explain why Bill decides to go to London at the beginning of Chapter Three?
10. Following the witness of a couple committing suicide, Bill admits to himself that he must 'grow a hide'. Explain his meaning.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)