Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill reveal about radio broadcasts?
(a) Those in other countries are still functioning.
(b) There are none.
(c) They are jumbled.
(d) They are normal.
2. What does Walter Lucknor claim the plants are doing when they strike their three sticks against their base?
(a) They are counting.
(b) They are talking.
(c) They are calling others.
(d) They are mating.
3. What did Bill's father want him to do for a living?
(a) He wanted him to become a doctor.
(b) He wanted him to become an accountant.
(c) He wanted him to become a lawyer.
(d) He wanted him to become a banker.
4. Where do Bill and Josella go at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) To the United States.
(b) To Ireland.
(c) To China.
(d) Back to London.
5. Where does the narrator go first when he leaves the hospital?
(a) A Laundromat.
(b) A police station.
(c) A pub.
(d) A grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one theory of how the triffids appeared?
2. What do Bill and Josella find when they reach her father's house?
3. How does Bill solve the hunger issue to his standards?
4. Why is the narrator particularly anxious on the first day of the novel?
5. Why does Walter believe triffids strike the head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief explanation of the various speculations pertaining to the coming of the triffids.
2. Do you think the narrator is right to leave the blind group in the lobby of the hospital, knowing they cannot see to get out?
3. What is Josella's argument in terms of leaving Shirning and returning one day?
4. Explain why the young woman comes to Bill in his room in Chapter Eight, and his reaction.
5. Explain how Coker meets with Bill again.
6. Explain how Susan comes to travel with Bill.
7. Explain the mutual approval system of the Isle of Wright and Channel Isles.
8. Describe the circumstances that resulted in Bill's hospitalization.
9. Explain what Bill finds at Tynsham.
10. Explain Bill's response to the argument at the gate between the sighted and the blind.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)