|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the function of the Colonel?
(a) He is in charge of assigning duties.
(b) He admits individuals into the blind colony.
(c) He admits individuals into the sighted colony.
(d) He is in charge of the kitchen.
2. Where did Bill first see a triffid?
(a) In his garden as a child.
(b) In a zoo.
(c) In a factory.
(d) In a botanical garden.
3. What does Bill recall Walter saying about the triffids and blind men?
(a) That the blind are simple food for triffids.
(b) That the blind are like the triffids.
(c) That the blind are superior to a triffid.
(d) That the blind are not superior any longer.
4. What day does the narrator compare Wednesday to, based on sound?
5. Where do Bill and Josella go at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) To Ireland.
(b) To China.
(c) Back to London.
(d) To the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bill meet first in Chapter Three?
2. What did Bill's father do for a living?
3. Why does Josella agree to the taking on of blind women for such a purpose?
4. What does Bill point out to Josella after the argument?
5. What can the child do that others cannot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Bill decides to go to London at the beginning of Chapter Three?
2. What is revealed about the new use for sighted children and blind women in Chapter Three?
3. Describe the argument between the sighted leader of the blind at the gates of University Tower and the sighted leaders of the sighted colony at the university.
4. Describe the walking style of a triffid.
5. What is revealed about the triffids in Chapter Four, and how is this revealed in the book?
6. Do you think the narrator is right to leave the blind group in the lobby of the hospital, knowing they cannot see to get out?
7. Explain how the seeds of the triffid came to spread across the world, according to the story by Bill of Umberto Palanguez.
8. Describe why Bill finds it difficult at first to break the law, even for food.
9. Explain the argument of Beadley that the world is better off after the comet than it was before.
10. Explain what the landlord at the end of chapter 1 plans on doing, and how.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)