|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator go first when he leaves the hospital?
(a) A pub.
(b) A police station.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A Laundromat.
2. What does Bill claim is the reason there were few wars in the time immediately prior to the triffids?
(a) No one had contact with one another.
(b) Everyone lived happily together.
(c) Everyone believed the same things, politically.
(d) No one believed their chances of winning were good.
3. Where does Bill go at the end of Chapter Three?
(a) Out into the world.
(b) Into a hospital.
(c) To his parents' house.
(d) Into a bar.
4. What is one theory of how the triffids appeared?
(a) They were planted by a radical group.
(b) They were magical.
(c) They were planted by gardeners.
(d) They were spontaneously generated.
5. What does the triffid do at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) It begins to 'talk'.
(b) It dies.
(c) It attacks the car.
(d) It kills Josella.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bill go in the beginning of Chapter Three?
2. What is the result of Bill's attempts with the sighted leader of the drunks?
3. What was considered the main problem in the world prior to the triffids?
4. How does Bill make the solution to his hunger even more acceptable?
5. Why does Bill seem to be looking forward to the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Bill finds it difficult at first to break the law, even for food.
2. Give a brief explanation of the various speculations pertaining to the coming of the triffids.
3. Describe the scene where the narrator first learns of the blindness that plagues mankind.
4. Do you think the narrator is right to leave the blind group in the lobby of the hospital, knowing they cannot see to get out?
5. Describe the argument between the sighted leader of the blind at the gates of University Tower and the sighted leaders of the sighted colony at the university.
6. Following the witness of a couple committing suicide, Bill admits to himself that he must 'grow a hide'. Explain his meaning.
7. Explain Vorless' opinion on the new role of men and women in society.
8. Explain the difference between Josella's view of triffids and Bill's. Why are they do drastically different?
9. Explain why Bill feels a sense of relief at his new situation?
10. Why does Bill not kill the man holding Josella captive?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)