|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter Lucknor claim the plants are doing when they strike their three sticks against their base?
(a) They are calling others.
(b) They are mating.
(c) They are talking.
(d) They are counting.
2. What did Bill's father want him to do for a living?
(a) He wanted him to become a doctor.
(b) He wanted him to become an accountant.
(c) He wanted him to become a lawyer.
(d) He wanted him to become a banker.
3. Who is the young woman on the committee at the meeting?
(a) A sociologist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A scientist.
4. What does Bill recall Walter saying about the triffids and blind men?
(a) That the blind are like the triffids.
(b) That the blind are not superior any longer.
(c) That the blind are superior to a triffid.
(d) That the blind are simple food for triffids.
5. How did Josella avoid being blinded?
(a) She was at a party.
(b) She was in the hospital.
(c) She was at work.
(d) She was asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vorless proclaim the community can support blind women?
2. What is the man at the end of Chapter 1 going to do?
3. Where do Bill and Josella agree the light in the night came from?
4. What feeling does Bill have at the end of Chapter Three?
5. What does the man in Chapter Three steal for the young mother and her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bill not kill the man holding Josella captive?
2. Explain why the Colonel and the others want to leave London?
3. Explain why Bill decides to go to London at the beginning of Chapter Three?
4. What is happening to society at the beginning of Chapter Four, and why?
5. Do you think the narrator is right to leave the blind group in the lobby of the hospital, knowing they cannot see to get out?
6. Explain how the seeds of the triffid came to spread across the world, according to the story by Bill of Umberto Palanguez.
7. What clues does the narrator have that there is something wrong when he wakes in the hospital?
8. Explain Vorless' opinion on the new role of men and women in society.
9. Describe the different aspects of society Bill and Josella say goodbye to in Chapter Five.
10. What surprises Josella about her actions when she was captive?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)