|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bill and Josella find when they reach her father's house?
(a) Her father has gone mad.
(b) Triffids have attacked and killed everyone.
(c) The blind have attacked and killed everyone.
(d) Sighted burglars have attacked and killed everyone.
2. Why does Walter believe triffids strike the head?
(a) They are trying to crack the skull.
(b) They are trying to knock people unconscious.
(c) They are trying to blind people.
(d) They are trying to deafen people.
3. What does Walter Lucknor claim the plants are doing when they strike their three sticks against their base?
(a) They are counting.
(b) They are talking.
(c) They are mating.
(d) They are calling others.
4. What does the Colonel suggest the colony does immediately?
(a) Destroy the triffids.
(b) Leave London.
(c) Set fire to London.
(d) Begin to procreate.
5. What can the child do that others cannot?
(a) She can see.
(b) She can hear.
(c) She can smell.
(d) She can run.
6. What does the triffid do at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) It dies.
(b) It begins to 'talk'.
(c) It attacks the car.
(d) It kills Josella.
7. What is the man at the end of Chapter 1 going to do?
(a) Murder his children.
(b) Murder his wife.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Commit suicide.
8. Why does Josella wear such extravagant clothing the first evening Bill and she are together?
(a) She always dresses in such a manner.
(b) She is trying to reclaim her beauty.
(c) She is saying goodbye to frivolity.
(d) She is trying to entice Bill.
9. What time does the clock chime, which indicates a problem to the narrator?
10. Who is Elspeth Cary?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A doctor.
11. What is his response to what he hears in the garden?
(a) He yells for silence.
(b) He cries.
(c) He screams.
(d) He sits quietly.
12. What do Bill and Josella see at the gates of the University Tower?
(a) An argument between two blind men.
(b) An argument between two women.
(c) An argument between a sighted man and a woman.
(d) An argument between the sighted and the blind.
13. What do some nations eject into space?
(a) Unwanted people.
(b) Nuclear missiles.
(c) Satellites with atomic heads.
14. What does Beadley encourage the group they can do?
(a) Take care of the blind.
(b) Rebuild the world.
(c) Capture the blind.
(d) Take over the triffids.
15. Who does the narrator meet at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The landlord of the pub.
(c) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bill and Josella go at the end of Chapter Four?
2. Why does Bill seem to be looking forward to the future?
3. Where does Josella suggest they go in the morning?
4. What is one theory of how the triffids appeared?
5. How does Bill know so much of the triffids?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)