|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leddy decide to move when she drops out of society in "Boo Mama"?
2. How is Josie's conjured brother described in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. Whose chicken coop is plagued by a monster, according to the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
4. What does Josie want in the beginning of "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What is the name of the brother Josie conjures in "The Conjure Brother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
3. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
6. Who is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"? Where is she?
7. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
8. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
9. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
10. Why was Nealy returned in "Boo Mama"? Why is he taken away again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Hoop Granger and Alvin Tinsley in "Justice." What history do these characters have with one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)