|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura the statue draws to it in "The Gingi"?
2. What is the protagonist of "The Chicken-Coop Monster" given to raise?
3. What does Josie's mother announce the day after Josie's second visit to the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. Why does the woman need a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"?
5. What does the conjure woman tell Josie to have with her siblings in "The Conjure Brother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the moral theme of "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
3. Why was Nealy returned in "Boo Mama"? Why is he taken away again?
4. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
5. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
6. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
7. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
8. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
9. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
10. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe George Pullman, the Pullman Car Company and The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters. When did the first black union organize and what obstacles did they face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)