|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grady's profession in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. How is Josie's conjured brother described in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. Of what society is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster" a founding member?
4. What is Leddy's son's name in "Boo Mama"?
5. Why is the protagonist sent away from her parents for a while in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
3. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
5. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
6. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
7. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
8. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
9. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
10. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)