|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes Laura's daughter's favorite toy in "The Gingi"?
2. Where is Patricia McKissack from?
3. What does Josie's mother announce the day after Josie's second visit to the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. Where does Ray drive the woman in "The Woman in the Snow"?
5. What does the woman say she does not have in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
2. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
3. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. What causes the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster" to have to brave the coop?
5. Who is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"? Where is she?
6. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
7. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
8. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
9. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
10. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of "The Sight." During what time period is this story set? How does the setting of the narrative relate to the settings of other stories in the book?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)