|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leddy do when the woman emerges from the woods in "Boo Mama"?
2. When does the conjure woman tell Josie to go to bed exactly in order for her wish to come true in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. What becomes possessed with the spirit of a gingi in "The Gingi"?
4. When Josie returns to the conjure woman, the conjure woman suggests different ways to do what in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. Where does the neighboring girl hide during a game of hide-and-seek in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
2. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
3. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
4. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
5. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
6. What does Leddy notice about her son after he's returned? What appears in the night?
7. Why does Grady not give the woman a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"? What happens to her?
8. Why was Nealy returned in "Boo Mama"? Why is he taken away again?
9. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
10. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of "We Organized." What year is it in the story? Where does the action take place? How does the setting support the themes of the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)