|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leddy doing when her son disappears in "Boo Mama"?
2. What does Leddy do when the woman emerges from the woods in "Boo Mama"?
3. What is Leddy's son's name in "Boo Mama"?
4. What does the shopkeeper claim the statue is which Laura wants to buy in "The Gingi"?
5. Where does the woman need a ride to in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
2. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
3. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
4. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
5. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
6. What encounter does Grady have on his way back to the bus depot in "The Woman in the Snow"?
7. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
8. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
9. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
10. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Esau's father in "The Sight" with the slave owner in "We Organized." What similarities exist between these men? What differences?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)