|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
2. How is Josie's conjured brother described in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
4. When will Josie's wish come true if she does what the conjure woman says in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What does Josie's conjured brother prevent her from watching in "The Conjure Brother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
2. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
3. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
4. What does Leddy notice about her son after he's returned? What appears in the night?
5. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
6. Why does Grady not give the woman a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"? What happens to her?
7. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
8. Who is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"? Where is she?
9. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
10. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)