|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
2. The conjure woman tells Josie she should remember what it feels like to be what on Josie's second visit in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. Where does Ray drive the woman in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. What does Josie's mother announce the day after Josie's second visit to the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. How much time passes before Leddy finds her son in "Boo Mama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the moral theme of "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
5. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
6. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
7. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
8. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
9. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
10. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of racism in "Justice" and the other stories of the collection. How are whites and blacks portrayed differently in the narratives? Is this a fair depiction, given the settings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the origins and history of the Ku Klux Klan. What role does the KKK play in "Justice"?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)