|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the woman need a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. How old is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
3. What do the grandparents claim caught the neighboring girl's arm and injured her in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
4. What is Grady's last name in "The Woman in the Snow"?
5. Where does the woman say her husband is in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
3. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
4. Who is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"? Where is she?
5. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
6. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
7. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
8. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
9. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
10. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)