|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josie's mother announce the day after Josie's second visit to the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What about Josie's new brother is not in accordance with her wish in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. Where does the woman say her husband is in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. What is the protagonist of "The Chicken-Coop Monster" given to raise?
5. What does Grady tell the woman when he opens the door in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
2. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
3. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What happens when Josie awakens after revisiting the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. Why does Grady not give the woman a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"? What happens to her?
6. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
7. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
8. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
9. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
10. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the origins and history of the Ku Klux Klan. What role does the KKK play in "Justice"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of "We Organized." What year is it in the story? Where does the action take place? How does the setting support the themes of the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the structural elements of "We Organized," including exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. What are character actions and objectives and how do they drive the story forward?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)