|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doll look like, which the shopkeeper insists Laura take along with the statue, in "The Gingi"?
2. When does the narrative of "The Chicken-Coop Monster" take place?
3. What is the name of Leddy's son's teddy bear in "Boo Mama"?
4. Who tells Josie that no one has lived at the conjure woman's address for a long time in the ending of "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What does the conjure woman tell Josie she will have soon on Josie's second visit in "The Conjure Brother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
2. How does Leddy attempt to communicate with Nealy after he's found? What does she discover?
3. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
4. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
5. Why was Nealy returned in "Boo Mama"? Why is he taken away again?
6. What causes the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster" to have to brave the coop?
7. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
8. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
9. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
10. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of "We Organized." What year is it in the story? Where does the action take place? How does the setting support the themes of the collection?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)