|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the conjure woman tell Josie she will have soon on Josie's second visit in "The Conjure Brother"?
2. Where does the statue sit in Laura's home in "The Gingi"?
3. Who tells Josie that no one has lived at the conjure woman's address for a long time in the ending of "The Conjure Brother"?
4. How many years pass before Ray becomes a bus driver on Grady's former route in "The Woman in the Snow"?
5. Where is Patricia McKissack from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"? Where is she?
2. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
3. What causes the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster" to have to brave the coop?
4. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
6. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
7. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
8. Why does Grady not give the woman a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"? What happens to her?
9. What encounter does Grady have on his way back to the bus depot in "The Woman in the Snow"?
10. How does Leddy attempt to communicate with Nealy after he's found? What does she discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)