|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Patricia McKissack born?
2. How much time passes before Grady sees the same woman in "The Woman in the Snow"?
3. What month is it in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. What does Josie's conjured brother prevent her from watching in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What becomes possessed with the spirit of a gingi in "The Gingi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
2. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
3. What happens when Josie awakens after revisiting the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. How does Leddy attempt to communicate with Nealy after he's found? What does she discover?
5. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
6. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
7. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
8. What causes the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster" to have to brave the coop?
9. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
10. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Lester Simmons in "The 11:59." What is the objective of the protagonist in the story? What actions does he take once he's heard the 11:59 train?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Esau's father in "The Sight" with the slave owner in "We Organized." What similarities exist between these men? What differences?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)