|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Patricia McKissack's favorite place to go as a child?
2. What month is it in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"?
3. What is the woman clutching on the side of the road in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. What threatens to attack Laura's daughter while she plays outside in "The Gingi"?
5. When was Patricia McKissack born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
2. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
3. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What encounter does Grady have on his way back to the bus depot in "The Woman in the Snow"?
5. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
6. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
7. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
8. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
9. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
10. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of "We Organized." What year is it in the story? Where does the action take place? How does the setting support the themes of the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the origins and history of the Ku Klux Klan. What role does the KKK play in "Justice"?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)