|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Ray driving when he sees a woman on the side of the road in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. The conjure woman tells Josie she should remember what it feels like to be what on Josie's second visit in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. What does the conjure woman tell Josie she will have soon on Josie's second visit in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What is Leddy doing when her son disappears in "Boo Mama"?
5. What becomes possessed with the spirit of a gingi in "The Gingi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
2. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
3. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
4. What is the moral theme of "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
6. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
7. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
8. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
9. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
10. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)