|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman from the woods say that Leddy's son will become in "Boo Mama"?
2. How much time passes before Grady sees the same woman in "The Woman in the Snow"?
3. What is the protagonist of "The Chicken-Coop Monster" given to raise?
4. Where is Patricia McKissack from?
5. How is the sculpture described which Laura purchases in "The Gingi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
2. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
3. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
4. What happens when Josie awakens after revisiting the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
6. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
7. How does Leddy attempt to communicate with Nealy after he's found? What does she discover?
8. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
9. What encounter does Grady have on his way back to the bus depot in "The Woman in the Snow"?
10. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)