|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the statue sit in Laura's home in "The Gingi"?
2. Where does the woman say her husband is in "The Woman in the Snow"?
3. What does Grady tell the woman when he opens the door in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. What is the woman covered with who emerges from the woods in "Boo Mama"?
5. What does Leddy discover on her son's spine and hands in "Boo Mama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What does Leddy notice about her son after he's returned? What appears in the night?
3. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
5. Who is the protagonist in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"? Where is she?
6. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
7. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
8. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
9. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
10. What encounter does Grady have on his way back to the bus depot in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of racism in "Justice" and the other stories of the collection. How are whites and blacks portrayed differently in the narratives? Is this a fair depiction, given the settings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)