|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the protagonist of "The Chicken-Coop Monster" given to raise?
2. Why does the woman need a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"?
3. Where does Leddy decide to move when she drops out of society in "Boo Mama"?
4. Who tells Josie that no one has lived at the conjure woman's address for a long time in the ending of "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What gives the protagonist courage to face the monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
2. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
3. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
4. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
5. What happens when Josie awakens after revisiting the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
6. Why does Grady not give the woman a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"? What happens to her?
7. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
8. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
9. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
10. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Lester Simmons in "The 11:59." What is the objective of the protagonist in the story? What actions does he take once he's heard the 11:59 train?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Hoop Granger and Alvin Tinsley in "Justice." What history do these characters have with one another?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)