|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grady's profession in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. What threatens to attack Laura's daughter while she plays outside in "The Gingi"?
3. Why does the woman need a ride in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. How is Josie's conjured brother described in "The Conjure Brother"?
5. What about Josie's new brother is not in accordance with her wish in "The Conjure Brother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
2. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
3. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
4. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
5. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
6. What is the moral of the story in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
7. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
8. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
9. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
10. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of "The Sight." During what time period is this story set? How does the setting of the narrative relate to the settings of other stories in the book?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)