|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doll look like, which the shopkeeper insists Laura take along with the statue, in "The Gingi"?
2. Who does Josie overhear discussing a new conjure woman in town in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. What does the woman say she does not have in "The Woman in the Snow"?
4. Where is the protagonist sent to stay for a period of time in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
5. What is the name of Leddy's son's teddy bear in "Boo Mama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What creature appears from the woods in "Boo Mama"? What does it reveal about Nealy?
2. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
3. What happens in Laura's home after the purchases the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
4. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
5. What encounter does Grady have on his way back to the bus depot in "The Woman in the Snow"?
6. What happens when Josie awakens after revisiting the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
7. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
8. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
9. When is Leddy's son found in "Boo Mama"? How does he appear?
10. What is the moral theme of "The Conjure Brother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)