|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the woman need a ride to in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. When Josie returns to the conjure woman, the conjure woman suggests different ways to do what in "The Conjure Brother"?
3. Who tells Josie that no one has lived at the conjure woman's address for a long time in the ending of "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What is the woman clutching on the side of the road in "The Woman in the Snow"?
5. How much time passes before Leddy finds her son in "Boo Mama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
2. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
3. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
4. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
5. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
6. What is Laura's daughter's reaction to the sculpture in "The Gingi"?
7. How is Adam described in "The Conjure Brother"?
8. What is the monster symbolic of in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
9. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
10. What does Laura encounter which causes her family to leave their home in "The Gingi"? Who is left behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Hoop Granger and Alvin Tinsley in "Justice." What history do these characters have with one another?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)