|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esau begin having nightmares about in "The Sight"?
2. The labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company was the first to be led by what?
3. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
4. Who was Esau's fraternal twin brother in the Hebrew Bible?
5. What does the AFL refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
2. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
3. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
4. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
5. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
6. Where did the etchings in the window come from in "Justice"?
7. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
8. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
9. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
10. How did Amos treat Henri growing up in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of racism in "Justice" and the other stories of the collection. How are whites and blacks portrayed differently in the narratives? Is this a fair depiction, given the settings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)