|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company was the first to be led by what?
2. What caused the fire in "The Sight"?
3. What do the slaves do to the item taken from the plantation owner in "We Organized"?
4. What does the slave owner begin to hear in his head after the "spell" by the slaves in "We Organized"?
5. From what do the slaves hang an item from the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the etchings in the window come from in "Justice"?
2. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
3. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
4. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
6. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
7. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
8. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
9. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
10. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Hoop Granger and Alvin Tinsley in "Justice." What history do these characters have with one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the origins and history of the Ku Klux Klan. What role does the KKK play in "Justice"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)