Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
2. From what do the slaves hang an item from the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
3. Into what river does Harper watch his brother leap to his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. In what town did the Pullman Strike begin?
5. Who does Harper announce he is planning to sell in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
2. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
3. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
4. How does Leddy attempt to communicate with Nealy after he's found? What does she discover?
5. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
6. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
7. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
8. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
9. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
10. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe George Pullman, the Pullman Car Company and The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters. When did the first black union organize and what obstacles did they face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)