|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item do the slaves take off the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
2. When did George Pullman establish his company?
3. What is the setting of the story "Justice"?
4. How was the richest man in town found murdered in the beginning of "Justice"?
5. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
2. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
3. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
4. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
5. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
6. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
7. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
8. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
9. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
10. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Esau's father in "The Sight" with the slave owner in "We Organized." What similarities exist between these men? What differences?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)