|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former owner of the Pin Oak Plantation?
2. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
3. When did the second development of the Ku Klux Klan flourish nationwide in the U.S.?
4. In what format is "We Organized" written?
5. What sound does Lester hear after leaving his friends to head home in "The 11:59"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
2. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
3. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
4. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
5. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
6. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
7. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
8. Where did the etchings in the window come from in "Justice"?
9. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
10. How did Amos treat Henri growing up in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)