|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a fire take place in "The Sight"?
2. In Hebrew, the name Esau means what?
3. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"?
4. What is Lester's last name in "The 11:59"?
5. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
2. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
3. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
4. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
5. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
6. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
7. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
8. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
9. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
10. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)