|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a person who professes an ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through extrasensory perception?
2. What is Lester's last name in "The 11:59"?
3. Who owns the gas station in town in "Justice"?
4. Which of the following is true of Henri's wife in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. From what job position did Lester retire in "The 11:59"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harper attempt to sell Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? Why doesn't he?
2. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
3. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
4. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
5. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
6. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
7. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
8. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
9. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
10. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)