|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ajax refuse to knock from a tree in "We Organized"?
2. Which of the following is true of Henri's wife in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. Who received ownership of Pin Oak Plantation after his father died?
4. When the police go to inspect the gas station in "Justice," what happens?
5. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
2. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
3. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
4. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
5. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
6. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
7. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
8. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
9. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
10. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)