|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esau begin having nightmares about in "The Sight"?
2. The mayor in "Justice" announces that Alvin Tinsley died how?
3. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
4. Who attempted to take away the gas station in order to fulfill a debt in "Justice"?
5. Where does Esau send his wife and children after he begins having nightmares in "The Sight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
2. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
3. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
4. How did Amos treat Henri growing up in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
6. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
7. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
8. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
9. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
10. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Lester Simmons in "The 11:59." What is the objective of the protagonist in the story? What actions does he take once he's heard the 11:59 train?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)