|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lester die in "The 11:59"?
2. The third development of the Ku Klux Klan developed just after what?
3. How many children does Henri have in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
5. Which of the following is true of Ajax in "We Organized"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
2. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
3. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
4. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
5. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
6. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
7. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
8. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
9. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
10. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of "We Organized." What year is it in the story? Where does the action take place? How does the setting support the themes of the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)