|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Harper's father in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
2. What position were black employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company not eligible for promotion as it was reserved for whites?
3. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
4. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
5. What begins to show etchings of Hoop's crimes in "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
2. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
3. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
4. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
5. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
6. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
7. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
8. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
9. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
10. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe George Pullman, the Pullman Car Company and The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters. When did the first black union organize and what obstacles did they face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)