|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
2. What weapon is Ajax particularly good at in "We Organized"?
3. Which of the following is true of Ajax in "We Organized"?
4. The third development of the Ku Klux Klan developed just after what?
5. When Harper realizes he cannot sell his brother, who does he decide to sell to the slave dealers instead in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
2. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
3. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
4. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
5. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
6. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
7. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
8. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
9. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
10. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the structural elements of "We Organized," including exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. What are character actions and objectives and how do they drive the story forward?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of racism in "Justice" and the other stories of the collection. How are whites and blacks portrayed differently in the narratives? Is this a fair depiction, given the settings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)