|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mayor in "Justice" announces that Alvin Tinsley died how?
2. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
3. In what format is "We Organized" written?
4. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
5. What begins to show etchings of Hoop's crimes in "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
2. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
3. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
4. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
5. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
6. How did Amos treat Henri growing up in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
7. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
8. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
9. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
10. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)