|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Harper's father in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
2. When did George Pullman establish his company?
3. Which of the following is true of Henri's wife in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. When was the union of workers associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company established?
5. When did Britain outlaw slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
2. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
3. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
4. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
5. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
6. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
7. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
8. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
9. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
10. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)