|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item do the slaves take off the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
2. Who researches the story of Henri several decades after his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. How did Lester die in "The 11:59"?
4. What is the name of the sac in which the fetus develops?
5. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
2. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
3. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
4. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
5. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
6. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
7. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
8. Why does Harper attempt to sell Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? Why doesn't he?
9. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
10. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)