|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the slave owner begin to hear in his head after the "spell" by the slaves in "We Organized"?
2. Who beats Esau's father in "The Sight"?
3. What title does Henri hold at the Pin Oak Plantation?
4. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
5. What refers to a thin, filmy membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face immediately after birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
2. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
3. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
4. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
5. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
6. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
7. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
8. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
9. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
10. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Hoop Granger and Alvin Tinsley in "Justice." What history do these characters have with one another?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism in "Justice" and the other stories of the collection. How are whites and blacks portrayed differently in the narratives? Is this a fair depiction, given the settings? Why or why not?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)