|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former owner of the Pin Oak Plantation?
2. What title does Henri hold at the Pin Oak Plantation?
3. In what town did the Pullman Strike begin?
4. When did the first organization of the Ku Klux Klan flourish in the American South?
5. In what Classical work is the mythological Ajax notable for his abundant strength and courage, seen particularly in two fights with Hector?
Short Essay Questions
1. What civil rights history is reflected in "The Woman in the Snow"?
2. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
3. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
4. What does Josie want in "The Conjure Brother"? Where does she go to fulfill her wish?
5. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
6. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
7. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
8. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
9. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
10. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Lester Simmons in "The 11:59." What is the objective of the protagonist in the story? What actions does he take once he's heard the 11:59 train?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ajax and the slave master in "We Organized." How old is each of these men? What characteristics are embodied in each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)