|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
2. To what do the slaves pin an item from the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
3. When did the second development of the Ku Klux Klan flourish nationwide in the U.S.?
4. The plantation owner in "We Organized" is described as being what?
5. How many children does Henri have in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
2. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
3. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
4. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
5. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
6. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
7. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
8. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
9. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
10. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)