|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
2. What refers to a thin, filmy membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face immediately after birth?
3. Who was the father of Ajax in Greek mythology?
4. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
5. When did George Pullman establish his company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
2. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
3. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
4. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
5. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
6. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
7. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
8. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
9. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
10. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)