|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What short story by Edgar Allan Poe shares a similar subject and theme as "Justice"?
2. Why is Henri a free black man and not a slave in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. What sound does Lester hear after leaving his friends to head home in "The 11:59"?
4. Who is the former owner of the Pin Oak Plantation?
5. What refers to a thin, filmy membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face immediately after birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
2. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
3. Who takes over Grady's route 25 years in the future in "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he encounter?
4. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
6. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
7. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
8. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
9. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
10. What does the conjure woman tell Josie when Josie returns in "The Conjure Brother"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Lester Simmons in "The 11:59." What is the objective of the protagonist in the story? What actions does he take once he's heard the 11:59 train?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of "The Sight." During what time period is this story set? How does the setting of the narrative relate to the settings of other stories in the book?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)