|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the richest man in town found murdered in the beginning of "Justice"?
2. Who was Esau's father in the Hebrew Bible?
3. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
4. What does the slave owner begin to hear in his head after the "spell" by the slaves in "We Organized"?
5. What refers to a thin, filmy membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face immediately after birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
2. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
3. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
4. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
5. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
6. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
7. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
8. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
9. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
10. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of compassion in the story "The Woman in the Snow." How does Ray's compassion "free" the ghost of the woman and her child?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)