|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the second development of the Ku Klux Klan flourish nationwide in the U.S.?
2. Where does Esau send his wife and children after he begins having nightmares in "The Sight"?
3. Into what river does Harper watch his brother leap to his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. What flies up from the river after Henri is seen disappearing into it with his family in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. When the police go to inspect the gas station in "Justice," what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
2. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
3. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
4. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
5. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
6. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
7. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
8. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
9. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
10. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe George Pullman, the Pullman Car Company and The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters. When did the first black union organize and what obstacles did they face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)