|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beats Esau's father in "The Sight"?
2. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
3. Who does Harper announce he is planning to sell in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
5. How many employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a wildcat strike in response to recent reductions in wages, which led to the Pullman Strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
2. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
3. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
4. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
5. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
6. Why does Harper attempt to sell Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? Why doesn't he?
7. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
8. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
9. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
10. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the symbolism and themes in "The 11:59." What is the significance of Lester's watch in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)