|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
2. From what do the slaves hang an item from the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
3. Into what river does Harper watch his brother leap to his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. In what town did the Pullman Strike begin?
5. Who does Harper announce he is planning to sell in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
2. How is Grady Bishop described in the beginning of "The Woman in the Snow"? What does he do?
3. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
4. How does Leddy attempt to communicate with Nealy after he's found? What does she discover?
5. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
6. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
7. What object does Laura notice in a shop window in "The Gingi"?
8. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
9. What leads Leddy to leave behind society in "Boo Mama"? What happens to her son?
10. How is Laura's husband almost injured in "The Gingi"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Lester Simmons in "The 11:59." What is the objective of the protagonist in the story? What actions does he take once he's heard the 11:59 train?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of "We Organized." What year is it in the story? Where does the action take place? How does the setting support the themes of the collection?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)