|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns himself in for the murder of the richest man in town in "Justice"?
2. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
3. In what format is "We Organized" written?
4. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
5. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
2. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
3. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
4. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
5. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
6. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
7. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
8. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
9. Why does Harper attempt to sell Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? Why doesn't he?
10. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ray Hammond and compare him with Grady Bishop in "The Woman in the Snow." How do these bus drivers differ?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the structural elements of "We Organized," including exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. What are character actions and objectives and how do they drive the story forward?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)