|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who received ownership of Pin Oak Plantation after his father died?
2. What does Ajax refuse to knock from a tree in "We Organized"?
3. Henri's mother was what in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. Who owns the gas station in town in "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
2. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
3. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
4. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
5. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
6. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
7. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
8. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
9. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
10. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of symbolism in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What do the birds represent in the ending of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Henri and Harper in "The Legend of Pin Oak." What characteristics does each man embody? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of "The Legend of Pin Oak." When does the story take place in history? What role does the setting play in the actions and events of the narrative?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)