|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true of Ajax in "We Organized"?
2. How many children does Henri have in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. What short story by Edgar Allan Poe shares a similar subject and theme as "Justice"?
4. How many employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a wildcat strike in response to recent reductions in wages, which led to the Pullman Strike?
5. What does the KKK try Alvin Tinsley for in "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
2. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
3. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
4. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
5. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
6. Where does Esau send his family for fear of a fire in "The Sight"? Where does the fire take place?
7. How is a neighborhood girl injured in the coop in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
8. What does Ray do that Grady doesn't in "The Woman in the Snow"? What is the outcome?
9. What does the protagonist's grandfather tell her about his experiences with a monster in "The Chicken-Coop Monster"?
10. Why was Nealy returned in "Boo Mama"? Why is he taken away again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Hoop Granger and Alvin Tinsley in "Justice." What history do these characters have with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism and themes in "We Organized", and examine the oral histories from which the story was derived. What was the purpose of these stories for their audiences?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)