|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position were black employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company not eligible for promotion as it was reserved for whites?
2. In what format is "We Organized" written?
3. When had Hoop accused Alvin of killing a cat in "Justice"?
4. Whose mother died the day he was born in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. What begins to show etchings of Hoop's crimes in "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
2. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
4. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
5. Where did the etchings in the window come from in "Justice"?
6. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
7. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
8. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
9. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
10. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of "Justice" and analyze the events which take place in the climax and denouement of the story. Why does Hoop confess? What supernatural elements are in place in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and origins of voodoo. How did voodoo rituals enter into the American mythology? How are these rituals employed in "We Organized"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography and works of Patricia McKissack. What central themes and stylistic elements are noteworthy in the author's books?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)