|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ajax refuse to knock from a tree in "We Organized"?
(a) An apple.
(b) A wasp nest.
(c) A walnut.
(d) A squirrel.
2. Who wants Ajax to prove his abilities by knocking something from a tree in "We Organized"?
(a) His father.
(b) The plantation owner.
(c) His brother.
(d) A fellow slave.
3. What is Lester's last name in "The 11:59"?
4. The mayor in "Justice" announces that Alvin Tinsley died how?
(a) In a tractor accident.
(b) By shooting himself.
(c) By falling into the river.
(d) By hanging himself.
5. Why is Henri a free black man and not a slave in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) He was granted his freedom.
(b) His father was free.
(c) His mother was free.
(d) He bought his freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who received ownership of Pin Oak Plantation after his father died?
2. How was the richest man in town found murdered in the beginning of "Justice"?
3. Who organized the union of workers associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company?
4. Where does Esau announce that he could not be happier in his life in "The Sight"?
5. In Hebrew, the name Esau means what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
2. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
3. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
4. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
5. How did Amos treat Henri growing up in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
6. What does Hoop experience after the murder of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
7. Who does Harper decide to sell instead of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? What happens?
8. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
9. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
10. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)