|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Alvin Tinsley killed in "Justice"?
(a) He is given lethal injection.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is stabbed.
(d) He is hung.
2. What begins to show etchings of Hoop's crimes in "Justice"?
(a) The shop windows.
(b) A wood plank.
(c) A wall.
(d) A mirror.
3. To what do the slaves pin an item from the plantation owner's clothing in "We Organized"?
(a) A horse.
(b) A door.
(c) A doll.
(d) A tree.
4. What short story by Edgar Allan Poe shares a similar subject and theme as "Justice"?
(a) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Telltale Heart.
(d) The Fall of the House of Usher.
5. What refers to a thin, filmy membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face immediately after birth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esau's mother believe Esau should do with his psychic abilities in "The Sight"?
2. When Harper realizes he cannot sell his brother, who does he decide to sell to the slave dealers instead in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. The labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company was the first to be led by what?
4. Where is the slave from which the plantation owner offends in "We Organized"?
5. What flies up from the river after Henri is seen disappearing into it with his family in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
2. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
3. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
4. What does the shopkeeper tell Laura about the object in "The Gingi"?
5. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
6. What happens when Josie awakens after revisiting the conjure woman in "The Conjure Brother"?
7. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
8. Where did the etchings in the window come from in "Justice"?
9. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
10. What happens when Josie awakens after performing her "ritual" in "The Conjure Brother"?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)