|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esau's mother believe Esau should do with his psychic abilities in "The Sight"?
(a) Share them with her.
(b) Repent for them.
(c) Hide them.
(d) Use them for profit.
2. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
(a) Beats them.
(b) Sells them.
(c) Frees them.
(d) Makes them work harder.
3. Where does Lester lock himself in "The 11:59"?
(a) The porter house.
(b) The station house.
(c) A train car.
(d) His apartment.
4. What is Lester's last name in "The 11:59"?
5. What does Hoop begin having a few days after the death of Alvin Tinsley in "Justice"?
(b) Sneezing fits.
(d) Religious visions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hebrew, the name Esau means what?
2. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"?
3. How many employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a wildcat strike in response to recent reductions in wages, which led to the Pullman Strike?
4. Where does a fire take place in "The Sight"?
5. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
2. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
3. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
4. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
5. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
6. Why does Harper attempt to sell Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? Why doesn't he?
7. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
8. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
9. Where did the etchings in the window come from in "Justice"?
10. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)