|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
(a) His mother dies.
(b) He goes blind.
(c) He misuses it.
(d) He sells his soul to the devil.
2. The plantation owner in "We Organized" is described as being what?
3. When did the first organization of the Ku Klux Klan flourish in the American South?
4. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) He gets kicked by a horse.
(b) He falls into the river.
(c) He gets stabbed.
(d) He gets struck by lightning.
5. In what format is "We Organized" written?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Lester hear after leaving his friends to head home in "The 11:59"?
2. Who attempted to take away the gas station in order to fulfill a debt in "Justice"?
3. How was the richest man in town found murdered in the beginning of "Justice"?
4. What is the name of the labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company?
5. What is the setting of the story "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical relevance does Lester have in "The 11:59"?
2. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
3. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
4. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
5. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
6. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
7. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
8. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
9. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
10. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)