|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the slave from which the plantation owner offends in "We Organized"?
(b) South Africa.
(c) The Congo.
2. Who received ownership of Pin Oak Plantation after his father died?
(c) Harper McAvoy.
(d) Amos McAvoy.
3. Where does Lester lock himself in "The 11:59"?
(a) His apartment.
(b) A train car.
(c) The station house.
(d) The porter house.
4. Who attempted to take away the gas station in order to fulfill a debt in "Justice"?
(a) Alvin Tinsley.
(b) Hoop Holt.
(c) Hoop Granger.
(d) Riley Holt.
5. How many employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a wildcat strike in response to recent reductions in wages, which led to the Pullman Strike?
Short Answer Questions
1. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
2. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
3. In what format is "We Organized" written?
4. In Hebrew, the name Esau means what?
5. Esau's father exploits his son's psychic abilities where in "The Sight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Esau's parents each react to their son's gift in "The Sight"?
2. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
3. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
4. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
5. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
6. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
7. Upon what stories is "We Organized" derived?
8. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
9. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
10. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)