|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company?
(a) Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters.
(b) International Brotherhood of Railworkers.
(c) Brotherhood of Guest Services Workers.
(d) International Brotherhood of Hospitality Workers.
2. Into what river does Harper watch his brother leap to his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) Fall River.
(b) Snake River.
(c) Topps River.
(d) Green River.
3. Who received ownership of Pin Oak Plantation after his father died?
(a) Amos McAvoy.
(c) Harper McAvoy.
4. What begins to show etchings of Hoop's crimes in "Justice"?
(a) A wall.
(b) The shop windows.
(c) A wood plank.
(d) A mirror.
5. Whose mother died the day he was born in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esau's last name in "The Sight"?
2. What is the name of Henri's wife in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. The mayor in "Justice" announces that Alvin Tinsley died how?
5. What short story by Edgar Allan Poe shares a similar subject and theme as "Justice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what folklore is the story "The Sight" based?
2. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
3. Who is found murdered in "Justice"? Who points the police in the direction of Alvin Tinsley?
4. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
5. How is the slave master described in "We Organized"? What does he do to cause the slaves to rise against him?
6. Who does Hoop organize in "Justice"? What do they do?
7. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
8. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
9. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
10. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)