|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true of Ajax in "We Organized"?
(a) He is a circus performer.
(b) He is a god.
(c) He is a plantation owner.
(d) He is a slave.
2. What do the slaves do to the item taken from the plantation owner in "We Organized"?
(a) Chant to it.
(b) Light it on fire.
(c) Throw water on it.
(d) Scream at it.
3. In what Classical work is the mythological Ajax notable for his abundant strength and courage, seen particularly in two fights with Hector?
(a) The Odyssey
(b) The Homeric Hymns.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) The Birds.
4. Who attempted to take away the gas station in order to fulfill a debt in "Justice"?
(a) Hoop Holt.
(b) Hoop Granger.
(c) Alvin Tinsley.
(d) Riley Holt.
5. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
(a) His mother dies.
(b) He sells his soul to the devil.
(c) He misuses it.
(d) He goes blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Esau announce that he could not be happier in his life in "The Sight"?
2. Where does Lester lock himself in "The 11:59"?
3. In what town did the Pullman Strike begin?
4. Esau's father exploits his son's psychic abilities where in "The Sight"?
5. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who researches the story of Henri in "The Legend of Pin Oak" years later? What does she find?
2. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. What stories does Lester regale in "The 11:59"?
4. How is Lester Simmons described in "The 11:59"?
5. What happened to Harper's mother in "The Legend of Pin Oak"? When was he brought to the plantation?
6. How does Lester attempt to avoid his fate in "The 11:59"? Does he?
7. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
8. What is Ajax adept at using in "We Organized"? How is this revealed?
9. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
10. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)