|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the slaves do to the item taken from the plantation owner in "We Organized"?
(a) Scream at it.
(b) Light it on fire.
(c) Chant to it.
(d) Throw water on it.
2. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 72 hours.
3. From what job position did Lester retire in "The 11:59"?
(c) Pullman porter.
(d) Coal shoveler.
4. In what format is "We Organized" written?
5. What weapon is Ajax particularly good at in "We Organized"?
(a) A gun.
(b) A sword.
(c) The whip.
(d) A bow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the slave owner do with his slaves in the ending of "We Organized"?
2. What is the name of the labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company?
3. What flies up from the river after Henri is seen disappearing into it with his family in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. Who was Henri's father in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. Who is the former owner of the Pin Oak Plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"? Does he reach his family in time?
2. What is the thematic point of "We Organized"? Is the story based on fact?
3. What leads Hoop to confess in "Justice"? What happens to the windows?
4. How did Lester die? What symbolism surrounds his death in "The 11:59"?
5. How does Lester know he's heard the 11:59? What does this train whistle mean?
6. What happens when the police question Alvin in "Justice"?
7. What does the slave master do in the ending of "We Organized"? Why?
8. What happens on Esau's birthday as an adult in "The Sight"?
9. What is the "veil" in reference to in the story "The Sight"?
10. What ritual do the slaves perform in "We Organized"?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)