|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Britain outlaw slavery?
2. Henri's mother was what in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) A plantation owner.
(b) A freed slave.
(c) A white woman.
(d) Native American.
3. What refers to a thin, filmy membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face immediately after birth?
4. What do the slaves do to the item taken from the plantation owner in "We Organized"?
(a) Light it on fire.
(b) Scream at it.
(c) Chant to it.
(d) Throw water on it.
5. In what town did the Pullman Strike begin?
(a) Pullman, New York.
(b) Pullman, North Dakota.
(c) Pullman, Illinois.
(d) Pullman, Texas.
6. "We Organized" is based on the oral histories documented in the Slave Narratives from when?
(a) The 1950s.
(b) The 1930s.
(c) The 1920s.
(d) The 1940s.
7. Whose mother died the day he was born in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
8. From what job position did Lester retire in "The 11:59"?
(c) Coal shoveler.
(d) Pullman porter.
9. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
(a) He goes blind.
(b) His mother dies.
(c) He misuses it.
(d) He sells his soul to the devil.
10. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Hurt him.
(c) Forgive him.
(d) Be his friend.
11. When had Hoop accused Alvin of killing a cat in "Justice"?
(a) 8 years ago.
(b) 5 years ago.
(c) 20 years ago.
(d) 14 years ago.
12. The mayor in "Justice" announces that Alvin Tinsley died how?
(a) By falling into the river.
(b) In a tractor accident.
(c) By shooting himself.
(d) By hanging himself.
13. Who was Harper's father in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) Harper McAvoy Sr.
(b) Clarence McAvoy.
(c) Henri McAvoy.
(d) Amos McAvoy.
14. What is the setting of the story "Justice"?
(a) Leake County, Mississippi.
(b) Hinds County, Mississippi.
(c) Yazoo County, Mississippi.
(d) Tallahatchie County, Mississippi.
15. What does Ajax refuse to knock from a tree in "We Organized"?
(a) A walnut.
(b) An apple.
(c) A wasp nest.
(d) A squirrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what river does Harper watch his brother leap to his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
2. How does Harper die in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. What flies up from the river after Henri is seen disappearing into it with his family in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
4. Who beats Esau's father in "The Sight"?
5. Who organized the union of workers associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)