|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what river does Harper watch his brother leap to his death in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) Snake River.
(b) Green River.
(c) Fall River.
(d) Topps River.
2. What caused the fire in "The Sight"?
(b) A candle.
(c) Electrical wiring.
(d) A gas heater.
3. What sound does Lester hear after leaving his friends to head home in "The 11:59"?
(a) A barking dog.
(b) A train whistle.
(c) A car horn.
(d) An airplane.
4. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"?
(a) He breaks his neck.
(b) He runs a truck off the road.
(c) He cuts himself with a dagger.
(d) He breaks his arm falling.
5. What short story by Edgar Allan Poe shares a similar subject and theme as "Justice"?
(a) The Telltale Heart.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(d) The Fall of the House of Usher.
6. Henri's mother was what in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) Native American.
(b) A freed slave.
(c) A plantation owner.
(d) A white woman.
7. When did the Pullman Strike take place?
8. What is Esau's last name in "The Sight"?
9. What is the name of the sac in which the fetus develops?
(a) Amniotic sac.
(b) Fataliacal sac.
(c) Natal sac.
(d) Baby sac.
10. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
(a) The locomotive.
(b) The caboose.
(c) His church.
(d) The porter house.
11. The labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company was the first to be led by what?
(c) African Americans.
12. What begins to show etchings of Hoop's crimes in "Justice"?
(a) A mirror.
(b) The shop windows.
(c) A wall.
(d) A wood plank.
13. In what Classical work is the mythological Ajax notable for his abundant strength and courage, seen particularly in two fights with Hector?
(a) The Homeric Hymns.
(b) The Iliad.
(c) The Odyssey
(d) The Birds.
14. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 72 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
15. When did the second development of the Ku Klux Klan flourish nationwide in the U.S.?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a wildcat strike in response to recent reductions in wages, which led to the Pullman Strike?
2. What do the slaves do to the item taken from the plantation owner in "We Organized"?
3. Where does Lester lock himself in "The 11:59"?
4. Where was Henri's mother from in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
5. Why is Henri a free black man and not a slave in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)