|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the slaves do to the item taken from the plantation owner in "We Organized"?
(a) Chant to it.
(b) Light it on fire.
(c) Scream at it.
(d) Throw water on it.
2. How many children does Henri have in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
3. What is the name of the sac in which the fetus develops?
(a) Amniotic sac.
(b) Natal sac.
(c) Fataliacal sac.
(d) Baby sac.
4. Where does a fire take place in "The Sight"?
(a) Esau's neighbor's house.
(b) Esau's house.
(c) Esau's father's house.
(d) Esau's mother's house.
5. How many employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a wildcat strike in response to recent reductions in wages, which led to the Pullman Strike?
6. In what town did the Pullman Strike begin?
(a) Pullman, New York.
(b) Pullman, Texas.
(c) Pullman, North Dakota.
(d) Pullman, Illinois.
7. Which of the following is true of Ajax in "We Organized"?
(a) He is a plantation owner.
(b) He is a circus performer.
(c) He is a god.
(d) He is a slave.
8. Why does Esau's psychic ability leave him in "The Sight"?
(a) His mother dies.
(b) He sells his soul to the devil.
(c) He goes blind.
(d) He misuses it.
9. Esau warns his father that the men from whom he borrowed money intend to do what in "The Sight"?
(a) Be his friend.
(b) Forgive him.
(c) Hurt him.
(d) Kill him.
10. From what job position did Lester retire in "The 11:59"?
(a) Coal shoveler.
(b) Pullman porter.
11. According to legend, anyone who hears the fabled 11:59 train will die within how much time?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 72 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 24 hours.
12. Why is Henri a free black man and not a slave in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) He bought his freedom.
(b) His mother was free.
(c) His father was free.
(d) He was granted his freedom.
13. Which of the following is true of Henri's wife in "The Legend of Pin Oak"?
(a) She is white.
(b) She is a freed slave.
(c) She was born in New Orleans.
(d) She is a slave.
14. What does Esau begin having nightmares about in "The Sight"?
(a) A fire.
(d) A dead relative.
15. When the police go to inspect the gas station in "Justice," what happens?
(a) It goes up in flames.
(b) They find a body.
(c) It's locked.
(d) They crash into the pump.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lester often go to regale stories of the past in "The 11:59"?
2. Who was the father of Ajax in Greek mythology?
3. How does Esau injure himself in "The Sight"?
4. What is the name of the labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company?
5. The labor union associated with the Pullman Palace Car Company was the first to be led by what?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)