|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chee, what do the Navajo's not have a word for in their language?
2. What is Jerry Jansen's occupation?
3. Just before Chee falls asleep after returning from Lomatewa's, Chee makes a phone call. Who does Chee call?
4. What name does Dashee go by when being addressed by his family members?
5. After Chee leaves Lomatewa and types his report, he goes back to his trailer. Where is Chee planning to go the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
2. When Dashee meets Chee on U.S. 160, what does Chee tell Dashee?
3. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
4. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
5. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
6. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
7. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
8. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
9. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
10. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
Essay Topic 1
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Miss Pauling is greatly affected by the events the death of her brother. Discuss how her brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Miss Pauling's worldview, but also her determination to find her brother's killer. How do Miss Pauling's experiences affect her mental state, her susceptibility to being used by Gaines, and her willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
This section contains 2,023 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)