|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the conversation at the Burnt Water Trading Post, what did the man seen lurking around suddenly turn into?
2. Before Johnson slaps Chee, when was the last time Chee had been slapped by anyone?
3. With what group did the dead pilot used to fly?
4. According to Johnson, how many sets of tracks are visible at the plane crash site?
5. Who is Albert Lomatewa?
Short Essay Questions
1. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, what does he notice about the body's feet?
2. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
3. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
4. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
5. What similarity does Chee notice about the man who was at the plane crash site and the man who almost discovered Chee's hiding place during his night in the arroyo?
6. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
7. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
8. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
9. After making the telephone call to the hotel where Gaines was staying, why does Chee head towards the plane crash site?
10. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)