|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the local gossip, who killed the John Doe that Chee was investigating?
2. How long does Chee explore the crash site looking for answers before he hears a car approaching?
3. At the Burnt Water Trading Post, whose picture does Dashee show to West and Chee?
4. Before the night the Cessna crashes, how many times had the pilot previously flown this exact route?
5. According to the rumors that Chee shares with the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, what kind of drugs were being smuggled in on the Cessna?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
2. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
3. According to Lomatewa's plan, when can the three men finally talk about the body they have discovered?
4. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
5. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
6. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
7. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
8. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
9. What similarity does Chee notice about the man who was at the plane crash site and the man who almost discovered Chee's hiding place during his night in the arroyo?
10. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jake West employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify three methods that West uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does the West hide his true motives and what does he have to gain by keeping his real purpose a secret? What does he have to lose by keeping his real purpose a secret?
c. What other methods might West have used to achieve his purpose? Would any of your methods have been as effective as West's plan in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)