|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Johnson, how many sets of tracks are visible at the plane crash site?
2. What is Jerry Jansen's occupation?
3. According to Chee, how many arroyos that feed Wepo Wash drain areas where a car might be hidden?
4. According to Chee, how many men searched the possible exit arroyos out of the wash for the missing vehicle?
5. What agency is Johnson with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
2. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
3. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
4. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
5. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
6. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
7. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
8. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
9. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
10. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)