|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, how long does Chee wait before moving from his hiding spot?
2. According to the conversation at the Burnt Water Trading Post, when a woman shot a dog with her .22, what did the dog turn into?
3. Just before Chee falls asleep after returning from Lomatewa's, Chee makes a phone call. Who does Chee call?
4. After Chee explains what happened in the trailer to Largo, how many days does Largo tell Chee to take off from work?
5. Where does Chee tell Largo that he wants to go visit to find out more about Musket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first rule of collecting gossip according to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
2. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
3. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
4. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
5. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
6. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
7. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
8. According to what Largo tells Chee, what does the Drug Enforcement Agency think about the location of the drug shipment?
9. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, what does he notice about the body's feet?
10. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)