|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Johnson tells Chee, how many days will it be before the people who own the drugs figure out that Chee had them?
2. According to Johnson, how many sets of tracks are visible at the plane crash site?
3. How old is Lomatewa?
4. When Chee finds the missing vehicle, it has already been searched. Who does Chee believe already searched the vehicle?
5. According to the rental documents, who had originally rented the missing vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. When questioned by the dead pilot's attorney, how does Chee justify his conclusion as to where the plane had previously landed and taken off?
2. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, why is Lomatewa thinking about how to handle the body?
3. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
4. What is the first rule of collecting gossip according to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
5. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
6. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
7. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
8. According to Lomatewa's plan, when can the three men finally talk about the body they have discovered?
9. What similarity does Chee notice about the man who was at the plane crash site and the man who almost discovered Chee's hiding place during his night in the arroyo?
10. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Miss Pauling is greatly affected by the events the death of her brother. Discuss how her brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Miss Pauling's worldview, but also her determination to find her brother's killer. How do Miss Pauling's experiences affect her mental state, her susceptibility to being used by Gaines, and her willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 3
T.L. Johnson seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Johnson helped by his utter confidence? How is Johnson hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)