|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Johnson's partner who searches Chee's trailer with Johnson?
2. Where is the Cessna scheduled to land on the night that it ends up crashing?
3. How much does the dead pilot's attorney offer to pay Chee for investigating the plane crash?
4. As the Cessna's pilot is bringing the plane in for landing, what does the pilot suddenly realize?
5. When Chee telephones the hotel where Gaines is staying, who does Chee get a hold of?
Short Essay Questions
1. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
2. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
3. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
4. After visiting the crash site and hearing Chee's explanation of events, what conclusion does the woman who emerged from the car draw?
5. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
6. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
7. According to what Largo tells Chee, what does the Drug Enforcement Agency think about the location of the drug shipment?
8. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
9. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
10. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Jake West employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify three methods that West uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does the West hide his true motives and what does he have to gain by keeping his real purpose a secret? What does he have to lose by keeping his real purpose a secret?
c. What other methods might West have used to achieve his purpose? Would any of your methods have been as effective as West's plan in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)