|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Johnson's partner who searches Chee's trailer with Johnson?
2. According to the conversation at the Burnt Water Trading Post, when a woman shot a dog with her .22, what did the dog turn into?
3. What is the name of the prime suspect in the Burnt Water Trading Post burglary?
4. What one drink does Chee not touch?
5. According to Chee, what do the Navajo's not have a word for in their language?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
2. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
3. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
4. After visiting the crash site and hearing Chee's explanation of events, what conclusion does the woman who emerged from the car draw?
5. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
6. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
7. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, why is Lomatewa thinking about how to handle the body?
8. According to Lomatewa's plan, when can the three men finally talk about the body they have discovered?
9. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
10. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)