|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Chee explains what happened in the trailer to Largo, how many days does Largo tell Chee to take off from work?
2. According to the local gossip, who killed the John Doe that Chee was investigating?
3. How many lights are used to mark the plane's "landing" site?
4. Whose body does Chee find inside the missing vehicle?
5. According to Chee, what do the Navajo's not have a word for in their language?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee approaches the car as the car sits in the middle of the plaza, what does Chee realize that West wanted all along?
2. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
3. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
4. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
5. What similarity does Chee notice about the man who was at the plane crash site and the man who almost discovered Chee's hiding place during his night in the arroyo?
6. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
7. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
8. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
9. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
10. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Cowboy Dashee, T.L. Johnson, Captain Largo, and Ben Gaines.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)