|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chee tell Largo that he wants to go visit to find out more about Musket?
2. What is a powaqa?
3. As the Cessna's pilot is bringing the plane in for landing, what does the pilot suddenly realize?
4. Where does Johnson find the business card that Gaines had given to Chee when they first met?
5. How far above the ground does the pilot fly his Cessna plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
2. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
3. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
4. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
5. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
6. What does Chee find when he approaches the car as the car sits in the middle of the plaza?
7. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
8. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
9. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
10. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, whom does Chee think the two men may have been?
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Miss Pauling is greatly affected by the events the death of her brother. Discuss how her brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Miss Pauling's worldview, but also her determination to find her brother's killer. How do Miss Pauling's experiences affect her mental state, her susceptibility to being used by Gaines, and her willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 2
Jake West employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify three methods that West uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does the West hide his true motives and what does he have to gain by keeping his real purpose a secret? What does he have to lose by keeping his real purpose a secret?
c. What other methods might West have used to achieve his purpose? Would any of your methods have been as effective as West's plan in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, Hopi and Navajo traditions abound. In fact, these traditions and rituals become a main reason behind the story's plot. Identify at least three different Hopi or Navajo traditions that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the Hopi or Navajo traditions impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 2,058 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)