|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the guardian spirit of the Fourth World of the Hopis?
2. According to Lomatewa, how old does he suspect the dead man he finds on the trail is?
3. According to Lomatewa, how many times has Sotuknang destroyed the world?
4. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, how long does Chee wait before moving from his hiding spot?
5. After Chee leaves Lomatewa and types his report, he goes back to his trailer. Where is Chee planning to go the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
2. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
3. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
4. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
5. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
6. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
7. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
8. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
9. What similarity does Chee notice about the man who was at the plane crash site and the man who almost discovered Chee's hiding place during his night in the arroyo?
10. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Cowboy Dashee, T.L. Johnson, Captain Largo, and Ben Gaines.
Essay Topic 3
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)