|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is accompanying Lomatewa on his quest for spruce?
2. Where is Jerry Jansen from?
3. To what clan was Captain Largo born to?
4. How old is Lomatewa?
5. What is a powaqa?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
2. How does Chee respond when the dead pilot's attorney tries to hire him to investigate the plane crash?
3. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
4. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
5. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
6. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
7. After visiting the crash site and hearing Chee's explanation of events, what conclusion does the woman who emerged from the car draw?
8. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
9. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
10. According to Lomatewa's plan, when can the three men finally talk about the body they have discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)