|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how far from the practice landing site does the plane attempt to land the night it crashes?
2. How many lights are used to mark the plane's "landing" site?
3. While Chee is waiting to talk to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading post, what are the three women in front of the store talking about?
4. According to the rumors that Chee shares with the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, what kind of drugs were being smuggled in on the Cessna?
5. According to Lomatewa, how old does he suspect the dead man he finds on the trail is?
Short Essay Questions
1. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
2. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
3. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, why is Lomatewa thinking about how to handle the body?
4. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
5. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
6. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
7. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
8. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
9. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
10. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jake West employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify three methods that West uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does the West hide his true motives and what does he have to gain by keeping his real purpose a secret? What does he have to lose by keeping his real purpose a secret?
c. What other methods might West have used to achieve his purpose? Would any of your methods have been as effective as West's plan in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)