|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Chee leaves Lomatewa and types his report, he goes back to his trailer. Where is Chee planning to go the next day?
2. According to Chee, how many men searched the possible exit arroyos out of the wash for the missing vehicle?
3. What is the person searching Chee's trailer looking for?
4. When Chee telephones the hotel where Gaines is staying, where is Chee calling from?
5. Where does Chee tell Largo that he wants to go visit to find out more about Musket?
Short Essay Questions
1. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, what does he notice about the body's feet?
2. What is the first rule of collecting gossip according to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
3. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
4. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
5. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
6. As Chee studies the tracks left on the ground in the wash, what does Chee deduce about the hidden car?
7. According to Lomatewa's plan, when can the three men finally talk about the body they have discovered?
8. According to what Largo tells Chee, what does the Drug Enforcement Agency think about the location of the drug shipment?
9. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
10. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)