|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just before Chee falls asleep after returning from Lomatewa's, Chee makes a phone call. Who does Chee call?
2. What is the name of the man who is accompanying Lomatewa on his quest for spruce?
3. Where does Chee come from?
4. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, how long does Chee wait before moving from his hiding spot?
5. Where does Chee tell Largo that he wants to go visit to find out more about Musket?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the crash site and hearing Chee's explanation of events, what conclusion does the woman who emerged from the car draw?
2. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
3. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
4. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, why is Lomatewa thinking about how to handle the body?
5. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
6. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
7. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
8. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
9. What similarity does Chee notice about the man who was at the plane crash site and the man who almost discovered Chee's hiding place during his night in the arroyo?
10. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have--or should have--been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)