|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chee, what is a belacani?
2. According to Chee's calculations, when had John Doe's body been dumped on the path?
3. What color is the missing vehicle?
4. How long does Chee explore the crash site looking for answers before he hears a car approaching?
5. When the dead pilot's attorney questions Chee about the shot Chee heard, what kind of gun does Chee think fired the round?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
2. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
3. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
4. How does Chee respond when the dead pilot's attorney tries to hire him to investigate the plane crash?
5. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
6. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
7. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, why is Lomatewa thinking about how to handle the body?
8. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
9. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
10. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have--or should have--been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)