|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person who runs the Burnt Water Trading Post?
2. What one drink does Chee not touch?
3. Who is Albert Lomatewa?
4. From where was the missing vehicle rented?
5. How many grandchildren does Lomatewa have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
2. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
3. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
4. When questioned by the dead pilot's attorney, how does Chee justify his conclusion as to where the plane had previously landed and taken off?
5. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
6. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
7. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
8. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
9. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
10. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)