|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to one of Chee's sources, who could be a powaqa?
2. When Lomatewa discovers the Navajo body, how long has the blessing of rain been withdrawn from the land?
3. While Chee is waiting to talk to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading post, what are the three women in front of the store talking about?
4. What kinds of lights are used to guide the pilot to his "landing" site?
5. What is the name of the younger Navajo woman talking while Chee is waiting to talk to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the crash site and hearing Chee's explanation of events, what conclusion does the woman who emerged from the car draw?
2. When Chee asks Largo if he's concerned with the missing fifty minutes that Johnson is concerned about, why does Largo admit he's not concerned with the missing minutes?
3. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
4. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
5. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
6. When questioned by the dead pilot's attorney, how does Chee justify his conclusion as to where the plane had previously landed and taken off?
7. When Largo tells Chee to take a few days off from work, what does Largo caution Chee to do?
8. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
9. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
10. According to what Largo tells Chee, what does the Drug Enforcement Agency think about the location of the drug shipment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Cowboy Dashee's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his clan, and his friend, and he refuses to divulge information or leave evidence that might be damaging to Jim Chee. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Captain Largo, Jake West, T.L. Johnson, and Miss Pauling. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Cowboy Dashee, T.L. Johnson, Captain Largo, and Ben Gaines.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)