|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a powaqa?
2. According to the conversation at the Burnt Water Trading Post, what did the man seen lurking around suddenly turn into?
3. According to Lomatewa, how many times has Sotuknang destroyed the world?
4. How long does Chee explore the crash site looking for answers before he hears a car approaching?
5. As the Cessna's pilot is bringing the plane in for landing, what does the pilot suddenly realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
2. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, what does he notice about the body's feet?
3. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
4. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
5. What is the first rule of collecting gossip according to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
6. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
7. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
8. After visiting the crash site and hearing Chee's explanation of events, what conclusion does the woman who emerged from the car draw?
9. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
10. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, Hopi and Navajo traditions abound. In fact, these traditions and rituals become a main reason behind the story's plot. Identify at least three different Hopi or Navajo traditions that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the Hopi or Navajo traditions impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)