|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lomatewa, how many times has Sotuknang destroyed the world?
2. What does Chee use to jimmy the missing vehicle's wing window open?
3. What one drink does Chee not touch?
4. How was the person inside the missing vehicle killed?
5. According to Lomatewa, how old does he suspect the dead man he finds on the trail is?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
2. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
3. When questioned by the dead pilot's attorney, how does Chee justify his conclusion as to where the plane had previously landed and taken off?
4. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
5. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
6. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
7. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
8. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
9. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, what does he notice about the body's feet?
10. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have--or should have--been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)