|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rumors that Chee shares with the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, what kind of drugs were being smuggled in on the Cessna?
2. According to the conversation at the Burnt Water Trading Post, what did the man seen lurking around suddenly turn into?
3. When Chee awakes in the arroyo, how close is the man to Chee's hiding spot?
4. When Chee first hears the plane, where is he?
5. What is the name of Chee's uncle who taught Chee how to track?
Short Essay Questions
1. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, what does he notice about the body's feet?
2. While staring at the body Lomatewa finds off the trail, why is Lomatewa thinking about how to handle the body?
3. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
4. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
5. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
6. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
7. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
8. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
9. After making the telephone call to the hotel where Gaines was staying, why does Chee head towards the plane crash site?
10. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)