|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prime suspect in the Burnt Water Trading Post burglary?
2. How old is Lomatewa?
3. According to the conversation at the Burnt Water Trading Post, what did the man seen lurking around suddenly turn into?
4. On the night the Cessna crashes, who is scheduled to meet the plane when it lands?
5. After Chee explains what happened in the trailer to Largo, how many days does Largo tell Chee to take off from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there only a few exit points from the wash in which Chee finds the missing vehicle?
2. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
3. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
4. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
5. According to Mr. Armijo, how did Armijo know the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
6. When Chee approaches the car as the car sits in the middle of the plaza, what does Chee realize that West wanted all along?
7. What does Albert Lomatewa notice about the boot he sees fifteen yards away from him on the trail?
8. What does Johnson assume took place when Chee and Gaines were talking at the plane crash site?
9. How was Thomas West killed?
10. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Cowboy Dashee's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his clan, and his friend, and he refuses to divulge information or leave evidence that might be damaging to Jim Chee. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Captain Largo, Jake West, T.L. Johnson, and Miss Pauling. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,949 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)