|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee finds the missing vehicle, it has already been searched. Who does Chee believe already searched the vehicle?
2. What clan is the boy from who originally sees the body at the beginning of the story?
3. Where does Largo recommend that Chee go on his forced vacation?
4. According to Lomatewa, how many times has Sotuknang destroyed the world?
5. What is Jerry Jansen's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
2. How does Chee respond when the dead pilot's attorney tries to hire him to investigate the plane crash?
3. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
4. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
5. According to Lomatewa, why had Sotuknang destroyed the world?
6. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
7. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
8. According to what Largo tells Chee, what does the Drug Enforcement Agency think about the location of the drug shipment?
9. Describe the man who emerges from the car that drives to the crash site as Chee is looking for answers.
10. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, Hopi and Navajo traditions abound. In fact, these traditions and rituals become a main reason behind the story's plot. Identify at least three different Hopi or Navajo traditions that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the Hopi or Navajo traditions impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)