Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chee tell Largo that he wants to go visit to find out more about Musket?
2. What is a powaqa?
3. As the Cessna's pilot is bringing the plane in for landing, what does the pilot suddenly realize?
4. Where does Johnson find the business card that Gaines had given to Chee when they first met?
5. How far above the ground does the pilot fly his Cessna plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
2. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
3. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
4. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
5. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
6. What does Chee find when he approaches the car as the car sits in the middle of the plaza?
7. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
8. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
9. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
10. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, whom does Chee think the two men may have been?
Essay Topic 1
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have--or should have--been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)