Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chee tell Largo that he wants to go visit to find out more about Musket?
2. What is a powaqa?
3. As the Cessna's pilot is bringing the plane in for landing, what does the pilot suddenly realize?
4. Where does Johnson find the business card that Gaines had given to Chee when they first met?
5. How far above the ground does the pilot fly his Cessna plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on the day that Chee first met the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post?
2. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
3. Why does the Cessna's pilot fly near Balakai Mesa on his route?
4. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
5. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
6. What does Chee find when he approaches the car as the car sits in the middle of the plaza?
7. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
8. After Johnson handcuffs Chee in Chee's trailer, what does Johnson insist that Chee keep in mind?
9. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
10. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, whom does Chee think the two men may have been?
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)