|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the dead pilot's attorney questions Chee about the shot Chee heard, what kind of gun does Chee think fired the round?
2. When Chee awakes in the arroyo, how close is the man to Chee's hiding spot?
3. How many lights are used to mark the plane's "landing" site?
4. What is the name of the prime suspect in the Burnt Water Trading Post burglary?
5. When Chee awakens in the arroyo and the man is nearby, where is Chee's rifle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plane wreckage when Jim Chee first sees it.
2. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, what is Chee's first instinct?
3. As Chee is being questioned by Johnson about the plane crash, what professional habit does Chee decide to avoid developing?
4. After Johnson leaves Chee's trailer, Chee tells Captain Largo what happened. According to Chee, what was Johnson's story going to be if Chee filed a complaint against Johnson?
5. According to the owner of the Burnt Water Trading Post, why did he fire Joseph Musket?
6. After escaping detection from the man investigating Chee's truck in the arroyo, Chee is nervous about returning to his vehicle. Describe Chee's actions as he goes back to his truck.
7. How did Gaines and Miss Pauling meet?
8. When Chee suddenly awakens in the arroyo, what sound first causes him to wake?
9. According to Chee, how does one become a good tracker?
10. When questioned by the dead pilot's attorney, how does Chee justify his conclusion as to where the plane had previously landed and taken off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Johnson helped by his utter confidence? How is Johnson hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have--or should have--been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)