|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stephen King says that he is done with telling the story and asks that readers be content to now know what is in ______________________.
2. Roland is dragged back in time, back to the ________ to the moment when his quest became clear to him. He has made this journey before.
3. Roland decides to take the ___________ from Patrick as he wants to make sure that it will last when it is needed.
4. How does the jolly man prove to the travelers that he has been to the Dark Tower before?
5. Who is the first to notice the characters when they are approaching the Dark Tower, according to the descriptions in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three men who greet the travelers when they reach the door of the castle.
2. What is the purpose of Stuttering Bill, according to Joe Collins, who Eddie and Jake meet in New York?
3. What does Nancy tell Roland to do in relation to finding the information he needs?
4. What does Susannah find she is doing more and more as they continue to travel in this story?
5. What happens when Susannah begins to laugh too hard when Joe Collins is showing them a comic routine?
6. What does Bill make for Susannah and for Patrick during this section of the story as they continue to travel?
7. What does Susannah find is happening to Roland when she leaves the bathroom after finding the note?
8. What does Jake end up doing in order to get the man to slow down, the one who is suposed to hit Stephen King?
9. What happens to distract Smith from seeing the road and from seeing King when he is walking in the road?
10. What is the picture that Roland tries to destroy at the start of this section of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheemie decides to hide in his room when the fighting is going on, something that seems to be a cowardly way to approach the tension.
Part 1: Do you think of the Sheemie character as being a very strong person?
Part 2: Do you think you would hide in another room if you heard that fighting was happening?
Part 3: How do you think a person should deal with fighting when they hear it, but are not a part of the argument?
Essay Topic 2
Roland tells King that things are going badly for them because King is not writing the story anymore and he gets King to promise to finish the story.
Part 1: Do you think Roland has the right to tell King what to do about the story?
Part 2: Do you agree that the events in the story itself are the result of King as the character in the story who doesn't write?
Part 3: If you were able to do so, would you tell an author to rewrite their story for you?
Essay Topic 3
Fear causes many of the characters in this story to be extra careful in all that they do. For example, Finli encourages them to increase their guards to prevent problems.
Part 1: Does fear allow a person to make the best decision possible for themselves and for others?
Part 2: How do you think that fear could cloud the thinking of a person in the midst of a dangerous situation?
Part 3: Why do you think fear is something that a character in this story might need to have as a basic emotion and state of mind?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)