|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the bomb is set to go off, what are the people outside the House of Mirrors doing?
2. What is Batman's plan to defeat the Mutants?
3. After sharing his plans with Commissioner Gordon and Robin to defeat the Mutants, who does Batman meet at the Mutants' dump?
4. What location does the Joker's thug put one of the bombs?
5. What object explodes into the side of a building after the nuclear bombs go off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
2. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
3. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
4. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
5. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
6. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
7. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
8. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
9. How does The Joker attempt to have one last laugh at Batman's expense?
10. Why does Alfred feel that Carrie is not a suitable choice to be Batman's partner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)