|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the Arkham administrators?
2. What does Batman threaten Robin with doing if Robin disobeys him again?
3. In pursuit of Batman at the fair, what do the commissioner and the cops find instead?
4. Who rescues Batman from the television studio roof?
5. After Clark Kent gives Bruce an important warning, what does Bruce tell him in return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
2. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
3. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
4. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
5. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
6. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
7. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
8. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
9. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
10. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gotham is a metropolis and has big city/urban problems. Compare the fictionalized city of Gotham to a real life metropolis or the city you live in. Does your city have the same or different issues as Gotham? Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for comparison.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)