|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the announcement of the new commissioner, what plan for Batman does the new commissioner want to begin?
2. What did the Joker want to accomplish with his latest action against Batman?
3. What happens to the Soviets' nuclear weapons?
4. With whom does Batman share his plan to render the Mutants helpless?
5. The Soviets' nuclear weapons were directed at which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
2. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
3. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
4. What are the results of the electromagnetic pulse on Gotham City and Batman?
5. Why does Alfred feel that Carrie is not a suitable choice to be Batman's partner?
6. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
7. What is the importance of Superman's efforts to intercept the nuclear warhead from Russia?
8. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
9. How does The Joker attempt to have one last laugh at Batman's expense?
10. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the usage of art/drawings helps provide authenticity about the violence in Gotham to the graphic novel. Does it help the reader support Batman's crusade against crime? What does it reveal about the character, his background, and environment in Gotham? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's parents' murders? Why is this event an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)