|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to establish order, Batman and Robin seek help from what group?
2. After the nuclear weapons detonate, what do the people of Gotham do?
3. Posing as a detective, Batman asks the new commissioner about what event?
4. After Clark Kent gives Bruce an important warning, what does Bruce tell him in return?
5. Once Batman and Robin return to the Bat Cave, who is badly injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
2. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
3. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
4. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
5. How does the author build suspense leading up to Clark Kent's arrival in Gotham City?
6. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
7. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
8. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
9. What are the results of the electromagnetic pulse on Gotham City and Batman?
10. What is the importance of Superman's efforts to intercept the nuclear warhead from Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence, injuries, and deceit are a part of Bruce Wayne's everyday life, even when not Batman. Analyze how these events alter his life and impact his interactions with those around him. How do these indulgences derail his attempt at normalcy and his ability to maintain relationships with others? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bruce Wayne's pushing the race car to its limits until it is engulfed in flames become symbolic of the protagonist's wish to kill Bruce Wayne? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)