|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the jail, which group revolts against the guard and manages to weasel out of their cell?
2. What kind of bomb does the Joker threaten to set off at the county fair?
3. Why does Clark Kent suddenly break off his conversation with Bruce?
4. In order to establish order, Batman and Robin seek help from what group?
5. After the nuclear weapons detonate, what do the people of Gotham do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
2. Why does Batman think of Robin as a good soldier as she falls from the broken cable?
3. How does Batman feel that Jason, the last Robin, was a good solider and honored him?
4. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
5. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
6. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
7. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
8. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
9. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
10. What is the importance of Superman's efforts to intercept the nuclear warhead from Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)