|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When riots break out all over Gotham, what else spreads and threatens to destroy the city?
2. Who appears on the television talk show with Dr. Wopler?
3. Who sets off the explosives in the Tunnel of Love while still inside?
4. What is Batman's plan to defeat the Mutants?
5. With whom does Batman share his plan to render the Mutants helpless?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
2. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
3. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
4. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
5. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
6. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
7. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
8. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
9. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
10. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
One central theme revolving through "The Dark Knight Returns" is the question of who is good and who is evil? It seems that many of the characters, including the protagonist, are not always good. Explain who you believe in the story to be truly good. Also, discuss what it means to be good. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)