|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose help does Batman believes he needs to defeat the Mutants?
2. After fighting Batman in the Tunnel of Love, what does the Joker do as a last act of defiance?
3. With whom does Batman share his plan to render the Mutants helpless?
4. What does the Mutants' leader do in front of Commissioner Gordon?
5. Alfred declares what about Bruce Wayne when Carrie asks about Bruce after their return from the county fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
2. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
3. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
4. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
5. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
6. What is the importance of Superman's efforts to intercept the nuclear warhead from Russia?
7. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
8. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
9. How does the author build suspense leading up to Clark Kent's arrival in Gotham City?
10. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How do the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does the report of Bruce Wayne's racing accident being mentioned during the same piece as the anniversary of the last Batman sighting affect the tone?
Part 2) How does Bruce Wayne's brush with death further the tone of restlessness?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)