|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clark Kent suddenly break off his conversation with Bruce?
2. After fighting Batman in the Tunnel of Love, what does the Joker do as a last act of defiance?
3. Once Robin gets away from the cops, how is Batman's location revealed?
4. In pursuit of Batman at the fair, what do the commissioner and the cops find instead?
5. What happens inside the television studio during the talk show?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Joker attempt to have one last laugh at Batman's expense?
2. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
3. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
4. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
5. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
6. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
7. How does Batman utilize his brain instead of his brawn when fighting the Mutants' leader a second time?
8. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
9. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
10. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One central theme revolving through "The Dark Knight Returns" is the question of who is good and who is evil? It seems that many of the characters, including the protagonist, are not always good. Explain who you believe in the story to be truly good. Also, discuss what it means to be good. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Commissioner Gordon has been Bruce Wayne's friend. Describe how Commissioner Gordon and Alfred act as father figures for Bruce Wayne. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Vigilantism is a major theme in "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one of the characters (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Clark Kent, Commissioner Gordon, Commissioner Yindel) and analyze how he/she reacts to acts of vigilantism throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)