|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After sharing his plans with Commissioner Gordon and Robin to defeat the Mutants, who does Batman meet at the Mutants' dump?
2. Posing as a detective, Batman asks the new commissioner about what event?
3. Why does Clark Kent go to Bruce Wayne to talk?
4. What happens to the Joker after hand-to-hand combat with Batman?
5. The lawyers for the Mutants still in jail argue that the members should be released for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Batman feel that Jason, the last Robin, was a good solider and honored him?
2. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
3. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
4. What is the significance of the boy with the radio and the priest who thought to treat him in a mean manner during the aftermath of the electromagnetic pulse?
5. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
6. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
7. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
8. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
9. Why does Alfred feel that Carrie is not a suitable choice to be Batman's partner?
10. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does the report of Bruce Wayne's racing accident being mentioned during the same piece as the anniversary of the last Batman sighting affect the tone?
Part 2) How does Bruce Wayne's brush with death further the tone of restlessness?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the graphic novel, how does the perspective of distance between the past and the present affect the main protagonist, Bruce Wayne? Analyze how Bruce Wayne's character has/has not changed during the years since the he decided to put Batman away.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)