|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While treating Bruce Wayne's injuries, Alfred asks Bruce if he remembers who?
2. What happens inside the television studio during the talk show?
3. The doctors from Arkham believe the threat will come from what character during the television appearance?
4. After his release from Arkham Asylum, where is one of the recently "cured" patients supposed to make an appearance?
5. Once Robin gets away from the cops, how is Batman's location revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Batman think of Robin as a good soldier as she falls from the broken cable?
2. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
3. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
4. How does The Joker attempt to have one last laugh at Batman's expense?
5. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
6. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
7. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
8. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
9. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
10. What is the significance of the boy with the radio and the priest who thought to treat him in a mean manner during the aftermath of the electromagnetic pulse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)