|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clark Kent meets with Bruce, what important information does he tell him?
2. After sharing his plans with Commissioner Gordon and Robin to defeat the Mutants, who does Batman meet at the Mutants' dump?
3. Who snaps back to reality after being in a comatose state once he hears Batman has returned?
4. After the nuclear weapons detonate, what do the people of Gotham do?
5. Who appears on the television talk show with Dr. Wopler?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
2. How does Batman utilize his brain instead of his brawn when fighting the Mutants' leader a second time?
3. Why does Batman think of Robin as a good soldier as she falls from the broken cable?
4. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
5. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
6. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
7. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
8. Why does Alfred feel that Carrie is not a suitable choice to be Batman's partner?
9. What is the importance of Superman's efforts to intercept the nuclear warhead from Russia?
10. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Vigilantism is a major theme in "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one of the characters (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Clark Kent, Commissioner Gordon, Commissioner Yindel) and analyze how he/she reacts to acts of vigilantism throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)