|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a bomb goes off forcing people to scatter for safety, which character flees into the House of Mirrors?
2. What does Batman threaten Robin with doing if Robin disobeys him again?
3. After fighting Batman in the Tunnel of Love, what does the Joker do as a last act of defiance?
4. While treating Bruce Wayne's injuries, Alfred asks Bruce if he remembers who?
5. The lawyers for the Mutants still in jail argue that the members should be released for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
2. How does the author build suspense leading up to Clark Kent's arrival in Gotham City?
3. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
4. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
5. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
6. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
7. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
8. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
9. How does Batman feel that Jason, the last Robin, was a good solider and honored him?
10. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Commissioner Gordon has been Bruce Wayne's friend. Describe how Commissioner Gordon and Alfred act as father figures for Bruce Wayne. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
One central theme revolving through "The Dark Knight Returns" is the question of who is good and who is evil? It seems that many of the characters, including the protagonist, are not always good. Explain who you believe in the story to be truly good. Also, discuss what it means to be good. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Batman's new Robin is a girl, and one who is seemingly unaware of the dangers the job. Many of the women Bruce Wayne/Batman has in his life are endangered or harmed in some way. Select one of the female characters (Robin, Selena Kyle, Sarah Gordon, or Commissioner Yindel) and define how their representations are reflections of Batman's relentless attitude toward upholding justice. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)