|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the people on the roller coaster escape danger?
2. Who escapes from the Gotham City jail with the help of Commissioner Gordon?
3. What does the Mutants' leader do in front of Commissioner Gordon?
4. While the bomb is set to go off, what are the people outside the House of Mirrors doing?
5. Where do the commissioner and the cops go to look for Batman at the county fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
2. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
3. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
4. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
5. What does Superman mean when he refers to Bruce's "wild obsession"?
6. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
7. How does The Joker attempt to have one last laugh at Batman's expense?
8. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
9. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
10. How does the author build suspense leading up to Clark Kent's arrival in Gotham City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gotham is a metropolis and has big city/urban problems. Compare the fictionalized city of Gotham to a real life metropolis or the city you live in. Does your city have the same or different issues as Gotham? Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for comparison.
Essay Topic 2
Batman and Superman are allies and have known each other for years. Compare/contrast how each one reacts to violence, authority, and the nuclear threat posed to the United States from the Soviets. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your comparisons.
Essay Topic 3
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)