|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctors from Arkham believe the threat will come from what character during the television appearance?
2. After the television incident, how do Batman and Robin pursue the Joker?
3. While in the House of Mirrors, who repeatedly fires a gun at Batman?
4. Who is badly hurt in the Tunnel of Love?
5. Why does Clark Kent suddenly break off his conversation with Bruce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the boy with the radio and the priest who thought to treat him in a mean manner during the aftermath of the electromagnetic pulse?
2. What does Clark Kent/Superman mean when he says, "...like a murderer, you'd cover it up again"?
3. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
4. How does Batman escape from the Gotham City police?
5. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
6. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
7. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
8. How does Batman feel that Jason, the last Robin, was a good solider and honored him?
9. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
10. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a bat, the symbol for Batman, is a symbol for Bruce Wayne's life choices. A bat drains its prey of blood. How does Bruce Wayne's alter ego, Batman, symbolically manage to do the same to others in the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's parents' murders? Why is this event an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)