|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred declares what about Bruce Wayne when Carrie asks about Bruce after their return from the county fair?
2. Just before the Soviets launch their nuclear weapons, what does Clark say to Bruce at their meeting?
3. Who thwarts a 7-11 robbery in the name of Batman?
4. With whom does Batman share his plan to render the Mutants helpless?
5. Why does Clark Kent suddenly break off his conversation with Bruce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
2. How does The Joker attempt to have one last laugh at Batman's expense?
3. What is the importance of Superman's efforts to intercept the nuclear warhead from Russia?
4. What is the irony of the Mutants changing their name to "Sons of Batman"?
5. What is the "spirit" Commissioner Gordon refers to when he says, "The spirit spreads as fast as a fire."?
6. How does Batman feel that Jason, the last Robin, was a good solider and honored him?
7. Why does Batman ask the newly escaped ex-Mutants to help him restore order to Gotham City?
8. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
9. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
10. Batman shouts at an image and tells it to "stop laughing." What is the significance of Batman seeing the Joker laughing at him long after the Joker has died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Violence, injuries, and deceit are a part of Bruce Wayne's everyday life, even when not Batman. Analyze how these events alter his life and impact his interactions with those around him. How do these indulgences derail his attempt at normalcy and his ability to maintain relationships with others? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Commissioner Gordon has been Bruce Wayne's friend. Describe how Commissioner Gordon and Alfred act as father figures for Bruce Wayne. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)