|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Mutants come to see as their leader?
2. Who escapes from the Gotham City jail with the help of Commissioner Gordon?
3. The Soviets' nuclear weapons were directed at which location?
4. Where do the commissioner and the cops go to look for Batman at the county fair?
5. After the detonation of the nuclear weapons, what disables all the electronics in Gotham and the Western hemisphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Superman find it important that the "...humans not be reminded that they walk amongst giants..."?
2. How does Batman utilize his brain instead of his brawn when fighting the Mutants' leader a second time?
3. During the pursuit from the Gotham City Police at Selina Kyle's escort surface, Batman thinks about Commissioner Gordon's words. What did Commissioner Gordon mean when he told Bruce that he makes the wrong enemies and all it would take is one bullet?
4. Why does the author interchange the scenes of Captain Yindl arriving on her first day as commissioner and Commission Gordon's and Carrie's beginning with Batman?
5. Why does the author include the stories of Arnold Crimp and Iron Man Vasquez?
6. Why does Clark Kent believe Bruce will ruin everything?
7. How is the last confrontation between The Joker and Batman in the House of Mirrors ironic?
8. How does the author build suspense leading up to Clark Kent's arrival in Gotham City?
9. How does Batman feel that Jason, the last Robin, was a good solider and honored him?
10. How do the citizens' reactions to the electromagnetic pulse show that Batman's work is far from over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's parents' murders? Why is this event an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)