|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merriman, the peak of the Dark occurs during what time of year?
2. According to the Old Ones, what do the birds speak with?
3. The day after Christmas, James tells Will that the snow has broken what in the kitchen?
4. The Rider tells Will that Mary is caught by what kind of spell?
5. What does Will do to Mr. Beaumont and Paul to protect them from the Dark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
2. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
3. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
4. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
5. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
6. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
7. In what ways does the Dark's power react in the Hawk in the Dark section?
8. Why is the rain significant to the villagers and to Will?
9. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
10. How does Hawkin trick Will to allow the Dark into the manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process by which the Book of Gramayre is protected and what effect this has on Hawkin.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)