|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of singers have been singing Good King Wenceslas at the manor since the beginning of the manor?
2. According to Will, what embodies the power of the Dark at its Midwinter peak?
3. According to James, where does the Stanton family Christmas tree come from?
4. According to the Old Ones, what do the birds speak with?
5. According to Merriman, the peak of the Dark occurs during what time of year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
2. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
3. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
4. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
5. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
6. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
7. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
8. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
9. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
10. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Dark associated with the cold and with rooks?
Essay Topic 2
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)