|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Hunt, who is wearing the great horned mask that Will received as a gift?
2. What sign does Merriman force Hawkin to carry throughout the centuries?
3. What are the names of the horses on Dawson's farm?
4. Who betrays Merriman and shapes the course of Will's quest?
5. Which of the two things of power have not been found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
2. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
3. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
4. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
5. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
6. In what ways does the Dark's power react in the Hawk in the Dark section?
7. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
8. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
9. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
10. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Dark associated with the cold and with rooks?
Essay Topic 2
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the act of catching someone out of time symbolic of being out of the loop or being frozen, suspended in time? Why is this power useful to Will and the Old Ones?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)