|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Stanton's friend, Mr. Mitothin, is really who in disguise?
2. What rings the Great Park, according to Merriman?
3. Who offers to take the little signs from Will and carry them?
4. According to the book of Gramayre, what is one of the five birds that can see the Dark?
5. What does Mr. Stanton give Will's mother for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
2. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
3. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
4. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
5. How does Hawkin trick Will to allow the Dark into the manor?
6. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
7. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
8. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
9. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
10. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Miss Greythorne in the story? Compare her role to that of the Lady.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
Essay Topic 3
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)