|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merriman, where will the food and fuel be dropped?
2. Instead of presenting Will with a story, what does Merriman tell Will the book will provide for him?
3. Who orders that Merriman should be made?
4. Where does Old George take Hawkin's body?
5. According to the book of Gramayre, how many centuries did the Old Ones spend bringing their lands out of the Dark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
2. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
3. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
4. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
5. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
6. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
7. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
8. How does Will demonstrate changes and reveals his new powers to others?
9. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
10. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the use of musical references throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Rider embodies the villain archetype and how his actions are typical of villains in fantasy novels.
Essay Topic 3
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)