|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign must be broken to keep the Circle of Signs from being joined?
2. When the signs are joined in the rings of gold, which two signs are in the center?
3. Windsor Castle is located where?
4. The Rider tells Will that the great and noble book states that he cannot harm those of the same blood as who?
5. How many times in a year does the Hunting of the Wren occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
2. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
3. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
4. What significant acts occur during the late night of Christmas Day?
5. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
6. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
7. Why is the rain significant to the villagers and to Will?
8. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
9. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
10. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Hawkin's betrayal is justified or not justified. Does he receive proper justice in the end? Be sure to include some of his dialogue from the novel that supports your position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the use of musical references throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)