|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will find standing next to the great beech tree?
2. After reading the book of Gramayre, how does Will feel?
3. What does the Walker summon from the book of Graymere?
4. According to James, where does the Stanton family Christmas tree come from?
5. The Rider tells Will that the great and noble book states that he cannot harm those of the same blood as who?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
2. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
3. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
4. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
5. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
6. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
7. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
8. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
9. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
10. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the act of catching someone out of time and why it is an important tool for both the Light and the Dark.
Essay Topic 2
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
Essay Topic 3
The Herne Hunt and the Wren are ancient legends that are incorporated into the Dark is Rising text. How are these two tales important to the overall plot?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)