|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading the book of Gramayre, how does Will feel?
2. When Hawkins speaks of the Old Ones, what does Will notice in his voice?
3. What does the book of Gramayre send Will swimming through?
4. According to George, moving water is free of what?
5. What rings the Great Park, according to Merriman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
2. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
3. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
4. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
5. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
6. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
7. How does Will demonstrate changes and reveals his new powers to others?
8. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
9. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
10. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Hawkin's betrayal is justified or not justified. Does he receive proper justice in the end? Be sure to include some of his dialogue from the novel that supports your position.
Essay Topic 2
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 3
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)