|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, where does George leave Will?
2. According to George, the big oak in Great Park is called what?
3. When Hawkins speaks of the Old Ones, what does Will notice in his voice?
4. When the signs are joined in the rings of gold, which two signs are in the center?
5. When does Merriman say the most dangerous peak of the Dark's power will come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
2. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
3. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
4. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
5. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
6. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
7. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
8. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
9. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
10. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
How does Will embody the hero archetype in the fantasy novel, The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Rider embodies the villain archetype and how his actions are typical of villains in fantasy novels.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)