|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to The Lady, each of the things of power is made by who?
2. Instead of presenting Will with a story, what does Merriman tell Will the book will provide for him?
3. What do the Old Ones do when the Dark attacks?
4. How many times in a year does the Hunting of the Wren occur?
5. What rings the Great Park, according to Merriman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
2. Who is Mr. Mitothin, and who is he really?
3. How does Hawkin trick Will to allow the Dark into the manor?
4. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
5. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
6. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
7. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
8. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
9. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
10. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the act of catching someone out of time symbolic of being out of the loop or being frozen, suspended in time? Why is this power useful to Will and the Old Ones?
Essay Topic 2
How is the symbolism of the Light and the Dark portrayed throughout the novel, The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Hawkin's betrayal is justified or not justified. Does he receive proper justice in the end? Be sure to include some of his dialogue from the novel that supports your position.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)