|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Rider tells Will that Mary is caught by what kind of spell?
2. What is Will's delivered present arrive in?
3. How does the Dark attack the Old Ones at the church?
4. How many times in a year does the Hunting of the Wren occur?
5. Where does Old George take Hawkin's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
2. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
3. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
4. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
5. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
6. Who is Mr. Mitothin, and who is he really?
7. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
8. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
9. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
10. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Herne Hunt and the Wren are ancient legends that are incorporated into the Dark is Rising text. How are these two tales important to the overall plot?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Dark associated with the cold and with rooks?
Essay Topic 3
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)