|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the seventh son of the seventh son?
2. According to the book of Gramayre, what is one of the five birds that can see the Dark?
3. What does the book of Gramayre send Will swimming through?
4. What does Merriman reveal is the Walker's real name?
5. The Rider tells Will that Mary is caught by what kind of spell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
2. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
3. How does Hawkin trick Will to allow the Dark into the manor?
4. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
5. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
6. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
7. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
8. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
9. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
10. How does Will demonstrate changes and reveals his new powers to others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
How is the symbolism of the Light and the Dark portrayed throughout the novel, The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 3
The Signs are instrumental to Will's mission and to the Old Ones' attempt to keep the Dark from rising. Define the importance of each sign's origins (wood, iron, bronze, fire, etc.) and their elemental significance.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)