|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Will deal with Hawkin?
2. After the Dark attacks after the church service on Christmas Day, what does Will do to try to stop the Dark?
3. According to George, the big oak in Great Park is called what?
4. Who betrays Merriman and shapes the course of Will's quest?
5. What is another word for the hounds of doom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
2. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
3. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
4. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
5. What significant acts occur during the late night of Christmas Day?
6. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
7. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
8. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
9. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
10. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Will embody the hero archetype in the fantasy novel, The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process by which the Book of Gramayre is protected and what effect this has on Hawkin.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Miss Greythorne in the story? Compare her role to that of the Lady.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)