|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the glowing signs lead Will at the end of the Dark's attack?
2. When Merriman commands the flames of Dark to leave the manor, who answers him back?
3. After the Dark attacks after the church service on Christmas Day, what does Will do to try to stop the Dark?
4. Windsor Castle is located where?
5. According to The Lady, each of the things of power is made by who?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
2. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
3. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
4. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
5. How does Hawkin trick Will to allow the Dark into the manor?
6. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
7. In what ways does the Dark's power react in the Hawk in the Dark section?
8. How does Will demonstrate changes and reveals his new powers to others?
9. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
10. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
Essay Topic 2
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 3
How is the symbolism of the Light and the Dark portrayed throughout the novel, The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)