|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Will deal with Hawkin?
2. What is another word for the hounds of doom?
3. After the Dark attacks after the church service on Christmas Day, what does Will do to try to stop the Dark?
4. According to the book of Gramayre, how many centuries did the Old Ones spend bringing their lands out of the Dark?
5. How many flames of Dark are there, according to the Walker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
2. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
3. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
4. In what ways does the Dark's power react in the Hawk in the Dark section?
5. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
6. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
7. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
8. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
9. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
10. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Rider embodies the villain archetype and how his actions are typical of villains in fantasy novels.
Essay Topic 2
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the act of catching someone out of time and why it is an important tool for both the Light and the Dark.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)