|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merriman, what do the lords of the Dark never risk demanding?
2. What sign does Merriman force Hawkin to carry throughout the centuries?
3. What causes Will to realize the flood has come to his home?
4. According to James, where does the Stanton family Christmas tree come from?
5. What is Will's delivered present arrive in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
2. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
3. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
4. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
5. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
6. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
7. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
8. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
9. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
10. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 3
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)