|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merriman, where will the food and fuel be dropped?
2. What are the names of the horses on Dawson's farm?
3. What causes Will to realize the flood has come to his home?
4. Outside the manor, which sign is burned into Will's forearm and causes the Rider to fall back?
5. What reason does Hawkin give for betraying the Light to the Dark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
2. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
3. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
4. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
5. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
6. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
7. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
8. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
9. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
10. What significant acts occur during the late night of Christmas Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the act of catching someone out of time symbolic of being out of the loop or being frozen, suspended in time? Why is this power useful to Will and the Old Ones?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Hawkin's betrayal is justified or not justified. Does he receive proper justice in the end? Be sure to include some of his dialogue from the novel that supports your position.
Essay Topic 3
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)