|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
2. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
3. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
4. According to Mrs. Stanton, who is Tom?
5. Where is Will's bedroom located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the rain significant to the villagers and to Will?
2. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
3. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
4. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
5. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
6. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
7. What is the importance of the third sign?
8. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
9. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
10. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Miss Greythorne in the story? Compare her role to that of the Lady.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)