|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two days after his birthday, how does Will's relationship with the animals change?
2. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
3. According to James, girls have always been what since year one?
4. Where are Will and his brother, James, going to get hay to feed the rabbits?
5. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the third sign?
2. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
3. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
4. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
5. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
6. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
7. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
8. What is odd about Hawkins?
9. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
10. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 2
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 3
The Signs are instrumental to Will's mission and to the Old Ones' attempt to keep the Dark from rising. Define the importance of each sign's origins (wood, iron, bronze, fire, etc.) and their elemental significance.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)