|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When taking his shortcut home, what does Will do to the branch lying on the ground?
2. When Will goes through the doors, who does he find waiting for him along the fireplace inside the manor?
3. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
4. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
5. What does Will notice is acting strangely toward him as he walks through the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
2. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
3. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
4. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
5. What is the importance of the third sign?
6. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
7. What is odd about Hawkins?
8. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
9. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
10. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Will embody the hero archetype in the fantasy novel, The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Rider embodies the villain archetype and how his actions are typical of villains in fantasy novels.
Essay Topic 3
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)