|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
2. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
3. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
4. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
5. What does seeing the stranger in the black coat do to Will?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
2. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
3. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
4. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
5. What is odd about Hawkins?
6. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
7. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
8. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
9. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
10. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 3
How does Will embody the hero archetype in the fantasy novel, The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)