|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will pin over the door on Christmas Eve?
2. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
3. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
4. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
5. Who tells Will that the tramp stole something from them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
2. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
3. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
4. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
5. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
6. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
7. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
8. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
9. What is the importance of the third sign?
10. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Dark associated with the cold and with rooks?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process by which the Book of Gramayre is protected and what effect this has on Hawkin.
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)