|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
2. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
3. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
4. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
5. What does seeing the stranger in the black coat do to Will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
2. What is odd about Hawkins?
3. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
4. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
5. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
6. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
7. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
8. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
9. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
10. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Miss Greythorne in the story? Compare her role to that of the Lady.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the act of catching someone out of time and why it is an important tool for both the Light and the Dark.
Essay Topic 3
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)