|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
2. According to Mrs. Stanton, who is Tom?
3. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
4. As Will walks across the room at the manor, he notices that what image is everywhere?
5. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
2. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
3. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
4. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
5. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
6. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
7. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
8. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
9. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
10. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Signs are instrumental to Will's mission and to the Old Ones' attempt to keep the Dark from rising. Define the importance of each sign's origins (wood, iron, bronze, fire, etc.) and their elemental significance.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Dark associated with the cold and with rooks?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Miss Greythorne in the story? Compare her role to that of the Lady.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)