|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has the Lady gone when she vanishes?
2. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
3. What does Paul state is the reason Will's skylight broke?
4. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
5. What does Merriman accuse Will of doing every spring at Huntercombe Manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
2. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
3. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
4. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
5. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
6. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
7. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
8. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
9. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
10. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the act of catching someone out of time and why it is an important tool for both the Light and the Dark.
Essay Topic 2
What is the protagonist's main goal throughout the Dark is Rising, and how does he fulfill his mission? What obstacles does Will face in reaching his goals?
Essay Topic 3
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)