|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fat lady say to the conductor about the weather at the beginning of The Walker on the Way?
2. What does Merriman do for the Walker?
3. Who comes to the door when Will and his siblings come to carol at Greythorne Manor?
4. What does Merriman tell Will are gateways through time?
5. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
2. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
3. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
4. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
5. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
6. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
7. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
8. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
9. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
10. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
Essay Topic 2
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)