|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
2. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
3. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
4. In the opening scene of Part One, what does James proclaim there are too many of?
5. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
2. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
3. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
4. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
5. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
6. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
7. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
8. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
9. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
10. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the symbolism of the Light and the Dark portrayed throughout the novel, The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 2
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 3
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)