|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has the Lady gone when she vanishes?
2. Where is Will's bedroom located?
3. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
4. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
5. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
2. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
3. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
4. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
5. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
6. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
7. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
8. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
9. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
10. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Signs are instrumental to Will's mission and to the Old Ones' attempt to keep the Dark from rising. Define the importance of each sign's origins (wood, iron, bronze, fire, etc.) and their elemental significance.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)