|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merriman tell Will about time for the Old Ones?
2. When Will meets the Walker, what does he demand that the Walker give to him?
3. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
4. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
5. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
2. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
3. What is odd about Hawkins?
4. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
5. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
6. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
7. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
8. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
9. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
10. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 2
The Signs are instrumental to Will's mission and to the Old Ones' attempt to keep the Dark from rising. Define the importance of each sign's origins (wood, iron, bronze, fire, etc.) and their elemental significance.
Essay Topic 3
What is the protagonist's main goal throughout the Dark is Rising, and how does he fulfill his mission? What obstacles does Will face in reaching his goals?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)