|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
2. What does Mr. Stanton state was on Will's ornament?
3. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
4. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
5. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
2. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
3. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
4. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
5. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
6. What is the importance of the third sign?
7. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
8. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
9. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
10. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Rider embodies the villain archetype and how his actions are typical of villains in fantasy novels.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)