|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
2. How does the blacksmith stop Will from taking the stranger's food offering?
3. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
4. Who tells Will that the tramp stole something from them?
5. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
2. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
3. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
4. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
5. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
6. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
7. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
8. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
9. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
10. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Hawkin's betrayal is justified or not justified. Does he receive proper justice in the end? Be sure to include some of his dialogue from the novel that supports your position.
Essay Topic 2
The Herne Hunt and the Wren are ancient legends that are incorporated into the Dark is Rising text. How are these two tales important to the overall plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is the protagonist's main goal throughout the Dark is Rising, and how does he fulfill his mission? What obstacles does Will face in reaching his goals?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)