|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merriman tell Will about the signs and the Dark?
2. What does John Smith mean when he tells Will, "It is your privilege. Take hold of her mane where you can reach it, and you will see"?
3. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
4. What does Will do to tell Mr. Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
5. Where is Will's bedroom located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
2. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
3. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
4. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
5. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
6. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
7. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
8. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
9. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
10. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 2
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)