|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Smith mean when he tells Will, "It is your privilege. Take hold of her mane where you can reach it, and you will see"?
2. What does Merriman tell Will about the signs and the Dark?
3. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
4. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
5. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
2. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
3. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
4. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
5. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
6. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
7. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
8. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
9. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
10. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
Essay Topic 2
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)