|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
2. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
3. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
4. When Will goes through the doors, who does he find waiting for him along the fireplace inside the manor?
5. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
2. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
3. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
4. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
5. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
6. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
7. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
8. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
9. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
10. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 2
How does The Dark is Rising fulfill the genre requirements of a fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process by which the Book of Gramayre is protected and what effect this has on Hawkin.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)