|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Smith mean when he tells Will, "It is your privilege. Take hold of her mane where you can reach it, and you will see"?
2. What does Mr. Dawson tell Will about Maggie?
3. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
4. At the beginning of the Midwinter Day section, what wakes up Will?
5. What is the ancient kind of symbol dating back to sun worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
2. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
3. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
4. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
5. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
6. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
7. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
8. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
9. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
10. What is odd about Hawkins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 2
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the act of catching someone out of time symbolic of being out of the loop or being frozen, suspended in time? Why is this power useful to Will and the Old Ones?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)