Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Will, the red-haired man in the dark robes who is seated on his black stallion looks like what?
2. At the beginning of the Midwinter Day section, what wakes up Will?
3. What is Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max going to purchase?
4. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
5. What does Paul state is the reason Will's skylight broke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
2. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
3. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
4. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
5. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
6. Who is Mr. Mitothin, and who is he really?
7. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
8. What is odd about Hawkins?
9. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
10. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
Explain how the Book of Gramayre teaches Will what he needs to know, and how this book acts in concert with other events that have occurred during Will's experiences with the Old Ones.
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
How does Will embody the hero archetype in the fantasy novel, The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)