|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
2. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
3. Who comes to the door when Will and his siblings come to carol at Greythorne Manor?
4. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
5. What is the ancient kind of symbol dating back to sun worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
2. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
3. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
4. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
5. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
6. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
7. What is the importance of Will taking the white horse to the Hunter?
8. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
9. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
10. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process by which the Book of Gramayre is protected and what effect this has on Hawkin.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Merriman is an Old One like Will, but is far wiser due to his tenure as an Old One. In what ways does Merriman fulfill his archetype of the teacher in The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)