|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max go on Christmas Eve morning?
2. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
3. What does Mr. Dawson tell Will about Maggie?
4. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
5. What does Will want more than anything for his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
2. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
3. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
4. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
5. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
6. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
7. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
8. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
9. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
10. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 2
The Herne Hunt and the Wren are ancient legends that are incorporated into the Dark is Rising text. How are these two tales important to the overall plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the use of musical references throughout the book?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)