|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
2. What does Merriman tell Will are gateways through time?
3. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
4. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
5. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
2. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
3. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
4. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
5. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
6. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
7. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
8. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
9. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
10. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
Essay Topic 1
The Signs are instrumental to Will's mission and to the Old Ones' attempt to keep the Dark from rising. Define the importance of each sign's origins (wood, iron, bronze, fire, etc.) and their elemental significance.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the act of catching someone out of time and why it is an important tool for both the Light and the Dark.
Essay Topic 3
How is Hawkin used by Merriman and the Old Ones? How does this effect his life and eventually the choices he makes?
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)