|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Will's family the morning of Midwinter Day?
2. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
3. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
4. What does Will notice is acting strangely toward him as he walks through the woods?
5. Who comes to the door when Will and his siblings come to carol at Greythorne Manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
2. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
3. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
4. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
5. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
6. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
7. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
8. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
9. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
10. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the act of catching someone out of time symbolic of being out of the loop or being frozen, suspended in time? Why is this power useful to Will and the Old Ones?
Essay Topic 2
What are the roles of the white mare in the Hunt and in the overall battle of the Light against the Dark?
Essay Topic 3
How is the symbolism of the Light and the Dark portrayed throughout the novel, The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)