|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the Midwinter Day section, what wakes up Will?
2. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
3. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
4. To Will, the red-haired man in the dark robes who is seated on his black stallion looks like what?
5. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
2. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
3. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
4. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
5. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
6. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
7. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
8. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
9. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
10. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the use of musical references throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Hawkin's betrayal is justified or not justified. Does he receive proper justice in the end? Be sure to include some of his dialogue from the novel that supports your position.
Essay Topic 3
How is the symbolism of the Light and the Dark portrayed throughout the novel, The Dark is Rising?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)