|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will ask the two strangers when he meets them?
2. What does John Smith tell Will about Hunter's Combe?
3. Who do James and Will see for a second time when walking through the woods?
4. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
5. According to James, girls have always been what since year one?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
2. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
3. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
4. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
5. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
6. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
7. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
8. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
9. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
10. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters stand in direct opposition to Will's goals, and how does he navigate the pitfalls and tricks set up to make him fail?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process by which the Book of Gramayre is protected and what effect this has on Hawkin.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Will and Merriman? What is special or significant about their bond and their relationship?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)