|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Merriman, what do the lords of the Dark never risk demanding?
(a) The Light.
(c) The signs.
(d) Their horses.
2. Mr. Stanton's friend, Mr. Mitothin, is really who in disguise?
(c) The Rider.
(d) The Walker.
3. What does Will do to Mr. Beaumont and Paul to protect them from the Dark?
(a) Puts them to sleep.
(b) Puts them out of time.
(c) Closes their minds.
(d) Forces them to leave.
4. Instead of presenting Will with a story, what does Merriman tell Will the book will provide for him?
(a) A poem.
(b) A snatch of verse or a bright image.
(c) A story.
5. What rings the Great Park, according to Merriman?
(a) Great Woods.
(b) Dawson's Farm.
(d) Hunter's Combe.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Rider, what does he claim the Dark will take from the Old Ones?
2. What song are the people singing after the church service is over?
3. On the way home from caroling, Paul tells Will that he would give anything to have a what?
4. When the signs are joined in the rings of gold, which two signs are in the center?
5. What is the term used to rally the hounds on the full chase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will learn about the snow and its links to the Dark?
2. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
3. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
4. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
5. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
6. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
7. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
8. For Will, what does the music that Paul plays on the flute mean?
9. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
10. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)