|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Merriman, where will the food and fuel be dropped?
(a) At the manor grounds.
(b) At the Stanton home.
(c) At the woods.
(d) At the Dawson's farm.
2. Why won't Will deal with Hawkin?
(a) Because the Rider said not to meet.
(b) Nothing will work to stop the Light.
(c) Because Merriman said nothing.
(d) Because Hawkin is nothing.
3. What is the term for the rapid urgent collecting, which summons the hounds?
(a) The rising.
(b) The great call.
(c) The menee.
(d) The call.
4. When Hawkins speaks of the Old Ones, what does Will notice in his voice?
(a) Happiness and joy.
(b) Envy and greed.
(c) Loyalty and respect.
(d) Bitterness and anger.
5. Mr. Stanton's friend, Mr. Mitothin, is really who in disguise?
(c) The Walker.
(d) The Rider.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way home from caroling, Paul tells Will that he would give anything to have a what?
2. How does the Dark attack the Old Ones at the church?
3. What is the name of the river that the king of the last sign sailed in?
4. When the signs are joined in the rings of gold, which two signs are in the center?
5. Where does Merriman place the book of Gramayre to keep it safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
2. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
3. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
4. In what ways does the Dark's power react in the Hawk in the Dark section?
5. What significant acts occur during the late night of Christmas Day?
6. Who is Mr. Mitothin, and who is he really?
7. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
8. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
9. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
10. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)