|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts is the spell of protection for the book of Gramayre?
2. What does Miss Greythorne read to the children who have gathered at the manor for safety?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Dark is Rising.
(c) The Phoenix and the Carpet.
(d) The Graymere book.
3. Who offers to take the little signs from Will and carry them?
(a) The Walker.
(c) Mr. Beaumont.
(d) The Lady.
4. Merriman tells Will that the signs must be joined by John Smith at this time because of what?
(a) The smithy will soon be destroyed.
(b) John Smith is an Old One.
(c) He trusts no one else to do it.
(d) John is the only blacksmith.
5. Where do the glowing signs lead Will at the end of the Dark's attack?
(a) To the Sign of Stone.
(b) To Greythorne manor.
(c) To the woods.
(d) To the Dawson's farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hawkins speaks of the Old Ones, what does Will notice in his voice?
2. Why won't Will deal with Hawkin?
3. Which of the two things of power have not been found?
4. What is Will, an Old One, fighting for?
5. After reading the book of Gramayre, how does Will feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the rain significant to the villagers and to Will?
2. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
3. Why does Hawkin betray Merriman and the Light?
4. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
5. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
6. Why is Will able to reconcile his old self with his Old One self after he returns home?
7. Why is Mary's kidnapping a test for Will?
8. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
9. Who is Mr. Mitothin, and who is he really?
10. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)