|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he wakes up, what does the Walker request for breakfast?
(b) The third sign.
(d) Honey and bread.
2. What do the Old Ones do when the Dark attacks?
(a) Create more light.
(c) Destroy them.
(d) Hold them at bay.
3. According to the book of Gramayre, how many centuries did the Old Ones spend bringing their lands out of the Dark?
4. Who does Will find standing next to the great beech tree?
5. According to George, where must the white horse go?
(a) To another time.
(b) To the city.
(c) To the hunter.
(d) To the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Stanton family members disappears on the way to the manor?
2. What does Hawkin tell Will that the Rider will exchange for his sister?
3. Where do the glowing signs lead Will at the end of the Dark's attack?
4. What song are the people singing after the church service is over?
5. According to Merriman, where will the food and fuel be dropped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
2. What is the significance of the ancient legend of Herne the Hunter?
3. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
4. What are the important plot events that happen after church service ends on Christmas Day?
5. What does Will do when he and Merriman return to their own time at the manor and Paul plays the flute?
6. What is the importance of the Walker's whereabouts being revealed to Will by a rook--an animal of the Dark?
7. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
8. What is strange about the gift Stephen sent to Will for Christmas?
9. What purpose does the Walker's visit to the Stanton home serve to the overall plot of the story?
10. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)