|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Rider tells Will that Mary is caught by what kind of spell?
(a) Leaf turned.
(b) Pitch black.
(c) Out of time.
(d) The old spell of Lir.
2. When he wakes up, what does the Walker request for breakfast?
(a) The third sign.
(b) Honey and bread.
3. According to Will, what embodies the power of the Dark at its Midwinter peak?
(a) The two levels of time.
(c) The farm.
(d) The rooks.
4. What sign does Merriman force Hawkin to carry throughout the centuries?
(a) The sign of copper.
(b) The sign of wood.
(c) The sign of iron.
(d) The sign of bronze.
5. The day after Christmas, James tells Will that the snow has broken what in the kitchen?
(a) The window.
(b) The sleigh.
(c) The door.
(d) The screen.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book of Gramayre, what is the name of the bright star?
2. Who orders that Merriman should be made?
3. What sign must be broken to keep the Circle of Signs from being joined?
4. Mr. Stanton's friend, Mr. Mitothin, is really who in disguise?
5. When the signs are joined in the rings of gold, which two signs are in the center?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will's time with the book of Gramayre feel like?
2. What does Will do with the third sign when he gets home?
3. How does Will convince Paul that nothing strange is going on?
4. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
5. Why is Hawkin amazed that the Rider has dropped him?
6. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
7. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
8. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
9. Why is the rain significant to the villagers and to Will?
10. How does Will demonstrate changes and reveals his new powers to others?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)