|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Merriman, the next part of Will's quest depends on whom?
(a) The Rider.
(b) The Walker.
(c) The Lady.
2. What does Paul state is the reason Will's skylight broke?
(a) Birds nested on it.
(b) An icy latch that broke under the strain of the snow.
(c) The Dark pushed against it.
(d) A rusty latch.
3. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
(a) The symbol of the church.
(b) The symbol of the Dark.
(c) The symbol of Christmas.
(d) The same as the symbol on his ornament.
4. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
(a) A note.
(b) A bird.
(c) A black feather.
(d) A piece of wood.
5. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
(b) The Lady.
(c) The Rider.
(d) Maggie Barnes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
2. What does Mr. Stanton say about what happened to Will's ornament letter?
3. Two days after his birthday, how does Will's relationship with the animals change?
4. Who saves Will from being snatched by the rider?
5. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
2. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
3. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
4. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
5. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
6. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
7. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
8. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
9. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
10. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)