|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
2. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
(b) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
(c) That he will soon make more money.
(d) That he will be an Old One soon.
3. What does Mr. Stanton say about what happened to Will's ornament letter?
(a) One wasn't created for him.
(b) It wasn't a letter, but a pattern.
(c) It was lost long ago.
(d) It wasn't lost.
4. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
(a) The Dark tainted it.
(b) He didn't get a present from Stephen.
(c) Merriman didn't show up.
(d) His family didn't celebrate it.
5. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
(a) A note.
(b) A bird.
(c) A piece of wood.
(d) A black feather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns Huntercombe Manor?
2. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
3. What does Old George thrust into Will's hand on Christmas Eve?
4. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
5. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
2. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
3. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
4. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
5. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
6. What is the importance of the third sign?
7. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
8. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
9. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
10. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)