|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(a) A donkey.
(c) A black stallion.
(d) A white mare.
2. What does Will notice is acting strangely toward him as he walks through the woods?
(a) The birds.
(b) The leaves.
(c) The squirrels.
(d) The trees.
3. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
(a) Because he was happy to be alive.
(b) Because he wanted the snow to fall.
(c) Because he wanted to have a snowball fight with his brothers.
(d) Because he wanted to sleep in.
4. Why doesn't Will go near the family's two dogs?
(a) He fears they will reject him.
(b) The dogs are ill.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) They snarled at him.
5. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
2. What does Will ask the two strangers when he meets them?
3. What time does Mrs. Stanton want them back from caroling on Christmas Eve?
4. As Will walks across the room at the manor, he notices that what image is everywhere?
5. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the third sign?
2. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
3. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
4. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
5. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
6. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
7. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
8. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
9. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
10. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)