|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
2. As Will walks across the room at the manor, he notices that what image is everywhere?
(a) The same symbol that is on his iron ornament.
(b) The Rider's face.
(d) The white mare.
3. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
(a) The memory of who he is.
(b) The memory of the rook attack.
(c) The memory of their talks.
(d) The memory of their walk to the farm.
4. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
(b) The Walker.
(d) The Lady.
5. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
(a) He vanishes.
(b) He coughs.
(c) He falls on the ice.
(d) He melts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
2. What does Merriman tell Will about the signs and the Dark?
3. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
4. What is the ancient kind of symbol dating back to sun worship?
5. What does Old George thrust into Will's hand on Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
2. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
3. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
4. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
5. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
6. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
7. What is odd about Hawkins?
8. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
9. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
10. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)