|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fat lady say to the conductor about the weather at the beginning of The Walker on the Way?
(a) The Dark is trying to capture her.
(b) More snow to come.
(c) The Walker is on the way.
(d) The rooks are coming to harm him.
2. What does Old George thrust into Will's hand on Christmas Eve?
(a) Holly, heavy berries.
3. At the beginning of the Midwinter Day section, what wakes up Will?
4. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
(a) Will's sadness and homesickness.
(b) Will's youth and immaturity.
(c) Will's impatience and hope.
(d) Will's hunger and sleepiness.
5. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
(a) The symbol of Christmas.
(b) The same as the symbol on his ornament.
(c) The symbol of the church.
(d) The symbol of the Dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
2. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
3. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
4. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
5. Who comes to the door when Will and his siblings come to carol at Greythorne Manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
2. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
3. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
4. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
5. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
6. What is the importance of the third sign?
7. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
8. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
9. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
10. What is odd about Hawkins?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)