|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
(a) Merriman didn't show up.
(b) His family didn't celebrate it.
(c) He didn't get a present from Stephen.
(d) The Dark tainted it.
2. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
(a) It falls to the floor.
(b) It screeches.
(c) It gets louder.
(d) It turns off.
3. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
(a) It was shiny, and no signs of rust.
(b) It had no shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(c) It had shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(d) It had no shine to it, or signs of rust.
4. What does Merriman accuse Will of doing every spring at Huntercombe Manor?
(a) Sneaking in to watch the flowers.
(b) Sneaking onto the second floor.
(c) Sitting down to drink tea.
(d) Breaking into the manor.
5. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(b) A donkey.
(c) A white mare.
(d) A black stallion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
2. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
3. What does John Smith mean when he tells Will, "It is your privilege. Take hold of her mane where you can reach it, and you will see"?
4. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
5. What is Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max going to purchase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
2. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
3. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
4. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
5. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
6. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
7. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
8. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
9. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
10. What is the importance of the third sign?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)