|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Will go near the family's two dogs?
(a) They snarled at him.
(b) He fears they will reject him.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) The dogs are ill.
2. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
(a) The Walker.
(b) The Lady.
3. Who do James and Will see for a second time when walking through the woods?
(a) The Dawsons.
(d) A tramp.
4. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
(a) The Rider.
(b) Maggie Barnes.
(d) The Lady.
5. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
(a) 300 years ago.
(b) 500 years ago.
(c) 200 years ago.
(d) 1000 years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger ask Will at the blacksmith's hut?
2. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
3. What does The Lady remind Will of when he sees her for the first time at the manor?
4. What is the ancient kind of symbol dating back to sun worship?
5. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
2. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
3. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
4. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
5. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
6. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
7. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
8. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
9. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
10. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)