|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stanton call the old cardboard container?
(a) Frank Dawson's box of letters.
(b) A box of ornaments.
(c) An old box of poems.
(d) An old box of letters from Old George.
2. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(b) A black stallion.
(c) A white mare.
(d) A donkey.
3. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
(a) A feeling of anxiousness about his birthday keeps him awake.
(b) A feeling of fear of the dark keeps him awake.
(c) A feeling of love and happiness keeps him awake.
(d) A feeling of fear keeps him awake.
4. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
(a) Cloaks them to darkness.
(b) Amplifies them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Twists them.
5. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
(a) The memory of their talks.
(b) The memory of who he is.
(c) The memory of the rook attack.
(d) The memory of their walk to the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
2. Who demands that Will show the first sign to him?
3. At the beginning of the Midwinter Day section, what wakes up Will?
4. What does the stranger ask Will at the blacksmith's hut?
5. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
2. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
3. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
4. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
5. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
6. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
7. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
8. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
9. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
10. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)