|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the blacksmith stop Will from taking the stranger's food offering?
(a) By placing a hot fist into the stranger's face.
(b) By burning wood to kill the scent of tantalizing food.
(c) By placing a hot iron between Will and the stranger.
(d) By placing a hot horseshoe on the horse.
2. What happens to Will's family the morning of Midwinter Day?
(a) They cannot wake up.
(b) They are separated by a horrible blizzard.
(c) They cannot speak.
(d) They eat too much.
3. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
(a) It is good protection against the Dark.
(b) It is good protection against snow.
(c) It is tasty food.
(d) It is good for Christmas decorations.
4. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
(b) The Lady.
(d) The Walker.
5. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is meeting his true father.
(b) It means Will is escaping evil.
(c) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
(d) It means Will is a wizard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
2. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
3. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
4. What does Merriman tell Will about the signs and the Dark?
5. What phrase does Mr. Dawson repeat to Will when Will visits him Midwinter's Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
2. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
3. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
4. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
5. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
6. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
7. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
8. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
9. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
10. What is odd about Hawkins?
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)