|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
(b) That he will be an Old One soon.
(c) That he will soon make more money.
(d) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
2. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
(a) Do nothing the Rider asks.
(b) Do nothing rash to bring trouble toward you.
(c) Do everything the Rider instructs.
(d) Do everything the family asks.
3. How does the blacksmith stop Will from taking the stranger's food offering?
(a) By placing a hot iron between Will and the stranger.
(b) By placing a hot horseshoe on the horse.
(c) By burning wood to kill the scent of tantalizing food.
(d) By placing a hot fist into the stranger's face.
4. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
(a) They wake up.
(b) They eat breakfast.
(c) They are spirited away to another time.
(d) They hug him.
5. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
(a) A hug.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A gift.
(d) A fruit pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Mr. Dawson repeat to Will when Will visits him Midwinter's Eve?
2. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
3. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
4. At the beginning of the Sign-Seeker section, what is engraved on the two towering oak doors?
5. In the opening scene of Part One, what does James proclaim there are too many of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
2. In the opening chapter, Midwinter's Eve, how does the author use Mr. Dawson to foreshadow events that happen to Will later that night?
3. What does the Lady mean when she says, "'Break the power of the cold. Stop the snow and cold and frost. Release this country from the hold of the Dark. All with the next of the circle, the Sign of Fire'"?
4. What is unique about the book of Gramayre?
5. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
6. Why does Will feel torn during the Joining of the Signs section?
7. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
8. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
9. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
10. What is the importance of the third sign?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)