|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening scene of Part One, what does James proclaim there are too many of?
2. What does Will notice is acting strangely toward him as he walks through the woods?
(a) The trees.
(b) The squirrels.
(c) The leaves.
(d) The birds.
3. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
4. What is the ancient kind of symbol dating back to sun worship?
(a) The sphere.
(b) The cross.
(c) The sundial.
(d) The mandela.
5. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
(a) The same as the symbol on his ornament.
(b) The symbol of Christmas.
(c) The symbol of the church.
(d) The symbol of the Dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
2. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
3. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
4. What does The Lady remind Will of when he sees her for the first time at the manor?
5. Who demands that Will show the first sign to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
2. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
3. Why does the Dark have another chance to attack the Light?
4. Why is the Dark's strike at the king's burial ship fitting?
5. What is the importance of the third sign?
6. What is the importance of the king's ship for this night?
7. How does Merriman use the weather to help Will with the Walker, and to help him against the Dark?
8. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
9. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
10. Why does Hawkin betray the Light and the Old Ones?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)