|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(a) A white mare.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A black stallion.
2. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
(a) 300 years ago.
(b) 1000 years ago.
(c) 500 years ago.
(d) 200 years ago.
3. What does the stranger ask Will at the blacksmith's hut?
(a) To leave this time and place.
(b) To ride with him.
(c) To come to the dark side.
(d) To give him the ornament.
4. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
(d) Stephen, the eldest.
5. What does Merriman tell Will are gateways through time?
(b) The roads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max going to purchase?
2. What does Will do to tell Mr. Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
3. What does Merriman do for the Walker?
4. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
5. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
2. What is odd about Hawkins?
3. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
4. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
5. What role does Huntercombe Lane play in the second section, Midwinter's Day, of the novel?
6. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
7. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
8. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
9. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
10. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)