|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Cloaks them to darkness.
(c) Amplifies them.
(d) Twists them.
2. What phrase does Mr. Dawson repeat to Will when Will visits him Midwinter's Eve?
(a) The Walker seeks your soul.
(b) The Walker is the Dark.
(c) The Walker is abroad.
(d) The Walker is dangerous.
3. Who demands that Will show the first sign to him?
(a) John Smith.
(c) The Rider.
(d) The Walker.
4. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
(a) This much snow fell in 1947 before Christmas.
(b) That this much snow is falling before Will's birthday.
(c) That this much snow is falling before his birthday.
(d) That this much snow has fallen before Christmas.
5. What does Merriman tell Will about the signs and the Dark?
(a) The signs are for them to collect on their own.
(b) The signs are part of the Light.
(c) The signs are parts of the Dark.
(d) The signs are beyond their touching.
Short Answer Questions
1. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
2. What does seeing the stranger in the black coat do to Will?
3. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
4. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
5. According to the Walker, what do the rooks guide toward them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
2. Why are the tapestries important to Will?
3. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
4. Why is Merriman disgusted that Will calls the road he was on "Tramp's Alley"?
5. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
6. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
7. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
8. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
9. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
10. What is the importance of the Rider asking Will to break bread with him?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)