|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Mr. Dawson repeat to Will when Will visits him Midwinter's Eve?
(a) The Walker is the Dark.
(b) The Walker is dangerous.
(c) The Walker is abroad.
(d) The Walker seeks your soul.
2. To Will, the red-haired man in the dark robes who is seated on his black stallion looks like what?
(b) A dark cloud.
(c) A rook.
(d) A statue.
3. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
(a) He falls on the ice.
(b) He melts.
(c) He vanishes.
(d) He coughs.
4. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
(b) An iron ornament.
(c) A piece of cake.
5. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
(d) A prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max go on Christmas Eve morning?
2. What time does Mrs. Stanton want them back from caroling on Christmas Eve?
3. What does The Lady remind Will of when he sees her for the first time at the manor?
4. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
5. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the parallels between the Rider's black stallion and the white mare that Will commands?
2. What are the end results of Will's actions at the manor?
3. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
4. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
5. What is unusual about Will and his siblings' visit to Miss Greythorne's manor for caroling?
6. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
7. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
8. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
9. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
10. Why does Maggie claim the Walker stole the sign from her?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)