|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the Midwinter Day section, what wakes up Will?
2. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
(c) An iron ornament.
(d) A piece of cake.
3. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
(b) That he will be an Old One soon.
(c) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
(d) That he will soon make more money.
4. As Will walks across the room at the manor, he notices that what image is everywhere?
(a) The white mare.
(b) The Rider's face.
(c) The same symbol that is on his iron ornament.
5. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Bruises them.
(c) Cuts them.
(d) Numbs them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
2. What does John Smith tell Will about Hunter's Combe?
3. When Will goes through the doors, who does he find waiting for him along the fireplace inside the manor?
4. What does Merriman tell Will are gateways through time?
5. Who owns Huntercombe Manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
2. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
3. How does the author demonstrate that something strange is happening to Will?
4. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
5. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
6. In what ways does the author imply that the iron ornament is important?
7. Why is the Rider seeking Will?
8. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
9. How does Will try to warn Old George Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
10. What is the significance of the fat lady's comments about the weather?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)