|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
(a) A feeling of fear of the dark keeps him awake.
(b) A feeling of love and happiness keeps him awake.
(c) A feeling of fear keeps him awake.
(d) A feeling of anxiousness about his birthday keeps him awake.
2. How does the blacksmith stop Will from taking the stranger's food offering?
(a) By placing a hot iron between Will and the stranger.
(b) By placing a hot horseshoe on the horse.
(c) By burning wood to kill the scent of tantalizing food.
(d) By placing a hot fist into the stranger's face.
3. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
4. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
(a) A black feather.
(b) A bird.
(c) A note.
(d) A piece of wood.
5. What does Mrs. Stanton call the old cardboard container?
(a) Frank Dawson's box of letters.
(b) A box of ornaments.
(c) An old box of letters from Old George.
(d) An old box of poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Will meets the Walker, what does he demand that the Walker give to him?
2. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
3. Who tells Will that the tramp stole something from them?
4. Who do James and Will see for a second time when walking through the woods?
5. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the animals' behavior foreshadow what happens to the tramp in the woods?
2. Why is the Rider unable to take the Walker and Will?
3. What is the importance of the third sign?
4. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
5. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
6. Why does Maggie place the Walker out of time?
7. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
8. In what ways does Mr. Dawson provide clues to both Will and the reader that Will is more than he seems and that things are going to be different for Will?
9. What ordinary Christmas decoration does Mr. Dawson persuade the Stantons to take with them?
10. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)