|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
(a) Baked apple pies.
(b) Roasting rabbit.
(d) Freshly baked bread.
2. What does Mr. Dawson tell Will about Maggie?
(a) That Maggie had to go home for an illness in her family.
(b) That Maggie had to go to the city.
(c) That Maggie had to go to the church.
(d) That Maggie had to go to the market.
3. What does Will pin over the door on Christmas Eve?
(a) A cross.
4. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
(a) A gift.
(b) A hug.
(c) A fruit pie.
(d) A kiss.
5. Who saves Will from being snatched by the rider?
(b) The blacksmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Walker, what do the rooks guide toward them?
2. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
3. What does Mr. Stanton say about what happened to Will's ornament letter?
4. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
5. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does the Lady have on Will's emotions and behavior?
2. What is the importance of the words of the carol that Merriman sings during Will and his family's caroling?
3. How does Will demonstrate his immaturity when the Dark begins to rise?
4. Why does Will use his powers to put the branch on fire?
5. What is the importance of the third sign?
6. What is the importance of music in the Midwinter Day section of the novel?
7. What is the importance of the white mare appearing to Will in the woods?
8. Why does Will's father state, "There's your ceremony, Will. Right on time"?
9. What does the Walker mean when he states, "It's so heavy...I've been carrying it for so long."
10. What role does Merriman play in Will's education?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)