|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Bruises them.
(c) Cuts them.
(d) Numbs them.
2. Who saves Will from being snatched by the rider?
(a) The blacksmith.
3. To Will, the red-haired man in the dark robes who is seated on his black stallion looks like what?
(a) A statue.
(b) A rook.
(d) A dark cloud.
4. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is escaping evil.
(b) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
(c) It means Will is a wizard.
(d) It means Will is meeting his true father.
5. What does Mr. Dawson tell Will about Maggie?
(a) That Maggie had to go to the city.
(b) That Maggie had to go to the church.
(c) That Maggie had to go home for an illness in her family.
(d) That Maggie had to go to the market.
6. Two days after his birthday, how does Will's relationship with the animals change?
(a) They won't leave him alone.
(b) They are more affectionate.
(c) They are angry towards him.
(d) They run from him.
7. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
(a) It had no shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(b) It was shiny, and no signs of rust.
(c) It had no shine to it, or signs of rust.
(d) It had shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
8. What does Mr. Stanton state was on Will's ornament?
(a) A dove.
(b) A cross.
(c) A mandela pattern.
(d) His initial, W.
9. Why doesn't Will go near the family's two dogs?
(a) They snarled at him.
(b) He doesn't like them.
(c) The dogs are ill.
(d) He fears they will reject him.
10. What does Will pin over the door on Christmas Eve?
(c) A cross.
11. Who demands that Will show the first sign to him?
(a) The Walker.
(b) John Smith.
(c) The Rider.
12. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
(a) He melts.
(b) He falls on the ice.
(c) He vanishes.
(d) He coughs.
13. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
(a) Will's sadness and homesickness.
(b) Will's impatience and hope.
(c) Will's hunger and sleepiness.
(d) Will's youth and immaturity.
14. Who is snoring from the other bed when Will wakes up?
15. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Will's family the morning of Midwinter Day?
2. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
3. What does Mr. Stanton say about what happened to Will's ornament letter?
4. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
5. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)