|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
2. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
(a) It is good protection against the Dark.
(b) It is good protection against snow.
(c) It is good for Christmas decorations.
(d) It is tasty food.
3. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
(c) A prayer.
4. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
(a) The Rider.
(b) Maggie Barnes.
(d) The Lady.
5. What does Will ask the two strangers when he meets them?
(a) About the time changes.
(b) About the Walker and the Rider.
(c) About the snow.
(d) About the iron ornament.
6. Where are Will and his brother, James, going to get hay to feed the rabbits?
(a) Rook's Woods.
(b) Grocery Store.
(c) Stanton Farm.
(d) Dawson's farm.
7. What does Will want more than anything for his birthday?
(a) A new video game.
(c) A good book.
8. What does Merriman tell Will are gateways through time?
(d) The roads.
9. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
(a) Because he wanted the snow to fall.
(b) Because he wanted to have a snowball fight with his brothers.
(c) Because he wanted to sleep in.
(d) Because he was happy to be alive.
10. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
(b) That he will soon make more money.
(c) That he will be an Old One soon.
(d) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
11. What does Mr. Stanton state was on Will's ornament?
(a) A mandela pattern.
(b) His initial, W.
(c) A cross.
(d) A dove.
12. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(a) A black stallion.
(b) A white mare.
(c) A donkey.
13. What does Will do to tell Mr. Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
(a) Gives it in code.
(b) Writes it on paper.
(c) Whispers it.
(d) Teases Max.
14. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
(b) The Walker.
(c) The Rider.
(d) The Lady.
15. What does The Lady remind Will of when he sees her for the first time at the manor?
(a) A cat.
(b) A lioness.
(c) A fox.
(d) A bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
2. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
3. Who demands that Will show the first sign to him?
4. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
5. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)