|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do James and Will see for a second time when walking through the woods?
(a) A tramp.
(d) The Dawsons.
2. What does Mrs. Stanton call the old cardboard container?
(a) A box of ornaments.
(b) Frank Dawson's box of letters.
(c) An old box of poems.
(d) An old box of letters from Old George.
3. What is unique about Will's iron ornament over the last two days since Midwinter's Eve?
(a) It has been covered in frost.
(b) It has been cold.
(c) It has changed colors.
(d) It has been warm for two days.
4. What does Will notice is acting strangely toward him as he walks through the woods?
(a) The squirrels.
(b) The leaves.
(c) The trees.
(d) The birds.
5. Who demands that Will show the first sign to him?
(b) The Walker.
(c) The Rider.
(d) John Smith.
6. Where is Will's bedroom located?
(a) With one of his brothers.
(b) In the basement.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In a guestroom.
7. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
8. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) Glass ornaments.
(b) Hand-carved ornaments.
(c) The third sign.
(d) Hand-blown ornaments.
9. Who saves Will from being snatched by the rider?
(b) The blacksmith.
10. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
(b) An iron ornament.
(c) A piece of cake.
11. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
(a) Because he wanted to sleep in.
(b) Because he wanted to have a snowball fight with his brothers.
(c) Because he wanted the snow to fall.
(d) Because he was happy to be alive.
12. What happens to Will's family the morning of Midwinter Day?
(a) They cannot wake up.
(b) They eat too much.
(c) They cannot speak.
(d) They are separated by a horrible blizzard.
13. Two days after his birthday, how does Will's relationship with the animals change?
(a) They are more affectionate.
(b) They are angry towards him.
(c) They won't leave him alone.
(d) They run from him.
14. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
(b) A prayer.
15. What does Mr. Dawson tell Will about Maggie?
(a) That Maggie had to go to the city.
(b) That Maggie had to go home for an illness in her family.
(c) That Maggie had to go to the market.
(d) That Maggie had to go to the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
2. Where do Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max go on Christmas Eve morning?
3. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
4. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
5. What does Will want more than anything for his birthday?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)