|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening scene of Part One, what does James proclaim there are too many of?
2. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
(a) Do nothing the Rider asks.
(b) Do everything the Rider instructs.
(c) Do nothing rash to bring trouble toward you.
(d) Do everything the family asks.
3. What does Mrs. Stanton call the old cardboard container?
(a) An old box of letters from Old George.
(b) A box of ornaments.
(c) Frank Dawson's box of letters.
(d) An old box of poems.
4. According to Merriman, the next part of Will's quest depends on whom?
(a) The Lady.
(b) The Walker.
(c) The Rider.
5. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
(a) He vanishes.
(b) He melts.
(c) He falls on the ice.
(d) He coughs.
6. When Will goes through the doors, who does he find waiting for him along the fireplace inside the manor?
(a) A young woman and a tall man.
(b) An elderly woman and a tall man.
(c) A young woman and a short man.
(d) An elderly woman and a short man.
7. What does Merriman tell Will about time for the Old Ones?
(a) Time remains in one direction.
(b) Time is backwards.
(c) Time co-exists.
(d) Time is linear.
8. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
(a) Roasting rabbit.
(c) Freshly baked bread.
(d) Baked apple pies.
9. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
(a) Will's youth and immaturity.
(b) Will's hunger and sleepiness.
(c) Will's sadness and homesickness.
(d) Will's impatience and hope.
10. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
(a) The Rider.
(b) The Lady.
(d) Maggie Barnes.
11. What does John Smith mean when he tells Will, "It is your privilege. Take hold of her mane where you can reach it, and you will see"?
(a) He means that he doesn't have to pay.
(b) He means that Will cannot do what he wants.
(c) He means that Will can walk on his own.
(d) He means that Will is chosen.
12. Where do Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max go on Christmas Eve morning?
(a) To Dawson Farm.
(b) To the woods.
(c) To Huntercombe Manor.
(d) To the city.
13. What does Merriman tell Will are gateways through time?
(b) The roads.
14. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
(a) A strong one.
(b) A new awake.
(c) An avatar.
(d) An ancient one.
15. What does Will do to tell Mr. Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
(a) Writes it on paper.
(b) Teases Max.
(c) Whispers it.
(d) Gives it in code.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will notice is acting strangely toward him as he walks through the woods?
2. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
3. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
4. What does Paul state is the reason Will's skylight broke?
5. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)