|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merriman tell Will about the signs and the Dark?
(a) The signs are part of the Light.
(b) The signs are for them to collect on their own.
(c) The signs are beyond their touching.
(d) The signs are parts of the Dark.
2. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
(a) He melts.
(b) He vanishes.
(c) He falls on the ice.
(d) He coughs.
3. According to the lady, what does the Rider want with Will?
(a) To capture him.
(b) To capture the sign.
(c) To stop the Light.
(d) To capture the white mare.
4. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
(b) The Walker.
(d) The Lady.
5. On Christmas Eve, what emotion is running through the Stanton family?
6. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
(a) The Dark tainted it.
(b) His family didn't celebrate it.
(c) Merriman didn't show up.
(d) He didn't get a present from Stephen.
7. What does Mr. Stanton state was on Will's ornament?
(a) A cross.
(b) A dove.
(c) His initial, W.
(d) A mandela pattern.
8. Who tells Will that the tramp stole something from them?
(a) Mr. Dawson.
(b) Maggie Barnes.
(c) John Smith.
9. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
(a) Will's youth and immaturity.
(b) Will's impatience and hope.
(c) Will's sadness and homesickness.
(d) Will's hunger and sleepiness.
10. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is meeting his true father.
(b) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
(c) It means Will is escaping evil.
(d) It means Will is a wizard.
11. Who comes to the door when Will and his siblings come to carol at Greythorne Manor?
(a) The Lady.
(b) The butler.
12. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
13. Where has the Lady gone when she vanishes?
(a) To sleep a thousand years.
(b) To recover from the strain of the Dark.
(c) To a different time to battle the Dark.
(d) To fight against the Dark.
14. What is the ancient kind of symbol dating back to sun worship?
(a) The mandela.
(b) The cross.
(c) The sphere.
(d) The sundial.
15. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
(a) It had no shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(b) It had no shine to it, or signs of rust.
(c) It had shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(d) It was shiny, and no signs of rust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will hear before his world changes to another time?
2. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
3. What does Paul state is the reason Will's skylight broke?
4. What does Old George thrust into Will's hand on Christmas Eve?
5. Whose room did Will's bedroom once belong to?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)