|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
(a) It is good protection against the Dark.
(b) It is tasty food.
(c) It is good protection against snow.
(d) It is good for Christmas decorations.
2. Why doesn't Will go near the family's two dogs?
(a) The dogs are ill.
(b) He fears they will reject him.
(c) They snarled at him.
(d) He doesn't like them.
3. At the beginning of the Sign-Seeker section, what is engraved on the two towering oak doors?
(d) Bursts of light.
4. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
(a) It had shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(b) It had no shine to it, or signs of rust.
(c) It had no shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(d) It was shiny, and no signs of rust.
5. What happens to Will's family when he arrives back home from the other time?
(a) They hug him.
(b) They eat breakfast.
(c) They wake up.
(d) They are spirited away to another time.
6. What does Will do to tell Mr. Dawson about Maggie being an agent of the Dark?
(a) Gives it in code.
(b) Writes it on paper.
(c) Whispers it.
(d) Teases Max.
7. Who owns Huntercombe Manor?
(a) Miss Greythorne.
(b) Mrs. Grey.
(c) Miss Huntercombe.
(d) Mrs. Merriman.
8. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
(a) A piece of wood.
(b) A bird.
(c) A note.
(d) A black feather.
9. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
10. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
(a) He falls on the ice.
(b) He coughs.
(c) He melts.
(d) He vanishes.
11. What is Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max going to purchase?
(a) A Christmas tree.
(c) A wagon.
(d) Christmas turkey.
12. What does John Smith tell Will about Hunter's Combe?
(a) That nothing good comes along the road.
(b) That nothing can harm him along the road.
(c) That the road is good for everyone who comes along it.
(d) That the road is filled with snow and to be safe.
13. What is unique about Will's iron ornament over the last two days since Midwinter's Eve?
(a) It has been covered in frost.
(b) It has changed colors.
(c) It has been cold.
(d) It has been warm for two days.
14. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
(a) An ancient one.
(b) A strong one.
(c) A new awake.
(d) An avatar.
15. What does Will ask the two strangers when he meets them?
(a) About the Walker and the Rider.
(b) About the time changes.
(c) About the snow.
(d) About the iron ornament.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does seeing the stranger in the black coat do to Will?
2. What happens to Will's family the morning of Midwinter Day?
3. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
4. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
5. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)