|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the door when Will and his siblings come to carol at Greythorne Manor?
(a) The butler.
(c) The Lady.
2. Why doesn't Will fall asleep right away when he gets into bed?
(a) A feeling of anxiousness about his birthday keeps him awake.
(b) A feeling of fear of the dark keeps him awake.
(c) A feeling of love and happiness keeps him awake.
(d) A feeling of fear keeps him awake.
3. What time does Mrs. Stanton want them back from caroling on Christmas Eve?
4. Who tells Will that the tramp stole something from them?
(b) Maggie Barnes.
(c) Mr. Dawson.
(d) John Smith.
5. What does John Smith tell Will about Hunter's Combe?
(a) That nothing can harm him along the road.
(b) That the road is filled with snow and to be safe.
(c) That the road is good for everyone who comes along it.
(d) That nothing good comes along the road.
6. When Will meets the Walker, what does he demand that the Walker give to him?
(a) The second sign.
(b) The papers.
(c) The sixth sign.
(d) The packages.
7. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Cuts them.
(c) Numbs them.
(d) Bruises them.
8. According to Merriman, the next part of Will's quest depends on whom?
(a) The Rider.
(b) The Lady.
(c) The Walker.
9. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
(a) The Lady.
(b) The Rider.
(c) The Walker.
10. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
(a) 300 years ago.
(b) 1000 years ago.
(c) 200 years ago.
(d) 500 years ago.
11. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
(a) The Dark tainted it.
(b) Merriman didn't show up.
(c) He didn't get a present from Stephen.
(d) His family didn't celebrate it.
12. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
(b) Merry Christmas.
(d) O' Christmas Tree.
13. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
(a) The memory of who he is.
(b) The memory of their walk to the farm.
(c) The memory of the rook attack.
(d) The memory of their talks.
14. What does Will want more than anything for his birthday?
(a) A good book.
(b) A new video game.
15. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
(a) That this much snow has fallen before Christmas.
(b) That this much snow is falling before Will's birthday.
(c) That this much snow is falling before his birthday.
(d) This much snow fell in 1947 before Christmas.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the lady, what does the Rider want with Will?
2. Who owns Huntercombe Manor?
3. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
4. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
5. Who do James and Will see for a second time when walking through the woods?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)