|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Will walks across the room at the manor, he notices that what image is everywhere?
(b) The Rider's face.
(c) The white mare.
(d) The same symbol that is on his iron ornament.
2. What warning does Merriman tell Will after their first meeting?
(a) Do everything the Rider instructs.
(b) Do nothing rash to bring trouble toward you.
(c) Do nothing the Rider asks.
(d) Do everything the family asks.
3. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That he will soon make more money.
(b) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
(c) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
(d) That he will be an Old One soon.
4. According to the lady, what does the Rider want with Will?
(a) To capture the sign.
(b) To capture him.
(c) To stop the Light.
(d) To capture the white mare.
5. When James and Will return home from their walk, what does Will think is running out of his brother, James, like water?
(a) The memory of their talks.
(b) The memory of their walk to the farm.
(c) The memory of the rook attack.
(d) The memory of who he is.
6. What does Old George thrust into Will's hand on Christmas Eve?
(b) Holly, heavy berries.
7. According to Merriman, the next part of Will's quest depends on whom?
(a) The Rider.
(b) The Lady.
(d) The Walker.
8. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Cloaks them to darkness.
(c) Amplifies them.
(d) Twists them.
9. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
(a) Numbs them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Cuts them.
(d) Bruises them.
10. What does Mr. Dawson give Will when he invites him into the house?
(a) An iron ornament.
(c) A piece of cake.
11. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is escaping evil.
(b) It means Will is a wizard.
(c) It means Will is meeting his true father.
(d) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
12. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
13. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
(a) Will's youth and immaturity.
(b) Will's hunger and sleepiness.
(c) Will's impatience and hope.
(d) Will's sadness and homesickness.
14. What does Old George tell Will about the importance of holly?
(a) It is tasty food.
(b) It is good protection against snow.
(c) It is good protection against the Dark.
(d) It is good for Christmas decorations.
15. What does the stranger ask Will at the blacksmith's hut?
(a) To give him the ornament.
(b) To ride with him.
(c) To come to the dark side.
(d) To leave this time and place.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Stanton, who is Tom?
2. What time does Mrs. Stanton want them back from caroling on Christmas Eve?
3. What is Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max going to purchase?
4. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
5. After Will has the branch, who grabs him from behind and demands that he stop what he is doing?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)