|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character proclaims that the burden is "so heavy...And I've been carrying it for so long"?
(a) The Lady.
(b) The Rider.
(d) The Walker.
2. On Christmas Eve, what emotion is running through the Stanton family?
3. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
(a) Because he wanted to have a snowball fight with his brothers.
(b) Because he wanted the snow to fall.
(c) Because he wanted to sleep in.
(d) Because he was happy to be alive.
4. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
(a) 500 years ago.
(b) 200 years ago.
(c) 300 years ago.
(d) 1000 years ago.
5. What does Will ask the two strangers when he meets them?
(a) About the snow.
(b) About the iron ornament.
(c) About the time changes.
(d) About the Walker and the Rider.
6. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
(a) Cloaks them to darkness.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Amplifies them.
(d) Twists them.
7. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
(a) Huntercombe Lane.
(b) Tramp's Alley.
(c) Hunter's Cove.
(d) The Great Woods.
8. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
(a) That this much snow has fallen before Christmas.
(b) This much snow fell in 1947 before Christmas.
(c) That this much snow is falling before his birthday.
(d) That this much snow is falling before Will's birthday.
9. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
(b) Freshly baked bread.
(c) Baked apple pies.
(d) Roasting rabbit.
10. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
(a) A fruit pie.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A hug.
(d) A gift.
11. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
(a) It gets louder.
(b) It screeches.
(c) It turns off.
(d) It falls to the floor.
12. According to the Walker, what do the rooks guide toward them?
(a) The Dark.
(b) John Smith.
(c) The Lady.
13. What does Paul state is the reason Will's skylight broke?
(a) Birds nested on it.
(b) The Dark pushed against it.
(c) A rusty latch.
(d) An icy latch that broke under the strain of the snow.
14. Where do Will, James, Mr. Stanton, and Max go on Christmas Eve morning?
(a) To Huntercombe Manor.
(b) To the city.
(c) To Dawson Farm.
(d) To the woods.
15. What does the Dark use to get Will to break the circle?
(a) Will's hunger and sleepiness.
(b) Will's impatience and hope.
(c) Will's sadness and homesickness.
(d) Will's youth and immaturity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
2. In the heap of snow that falls into Will's bedroom, what does Will see, but Paul doesn't?
3. What kind of Old One is Will, according to the Walker?
4. What phrase does Mr. Dawson repeat to Will when Will visits him Midwinter's Eve?
5. Where has the Lady gone when she vanishes?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)