|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is escaping evil.
(b) It means Will is a wizard.
(c) It means Will is meeting his true father.
(d) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
2. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
(a) Hand-carved ornaments.
(b) Glass ornaments.
(c) The third sign.
(d) Hand-blown ornaments.
3. Why doesn't Will go near the family's two dogs?
(a) He fears they will reject him.
(b) They snarled at him.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) The dogs are ill.
4. What time does Mrs. Stanton want them back from caroling on Christmas Eve?
5. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
(a) That this much snow has fallen before Christmas.
(b) This much snow fell in 1947 before Christmas.
(c) That this much snow is falling before his birthday.
(d) That this much snow is falling before Will's birthday.
6. What happens to the radio station when Will walks by it after getting home from his walk with James?
(a) It screeches.
(b) It turns off.
(c) It gets louder.
(d) It falls to the floor.
7. What does Will want more than anything for his birthday?
(a) A new video game.
(c) A good book.
8. What does Mr. Stanton state was on Will's ornament?
(a) A cross.
(b) A dove.
(c) His initial, W.
(d) A mandela pattern.
9. What does Merriman tell Will about time for the Old Ones?
(a) Time is linear.
(b) Time is backwards.
(c) Time co-exists.
(d) Time remains in one direction.
10. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
(a) Huntercombe Lane.
(b) Hunter's Cove.
(c) Tramp's Alley.
(d) The Great Woods.
11. Where is Will's bedroom located?
(a) In a guestroom.
(b) In the attic.
(c) With one of his brothers.
(d) In the basement.
12. According to Merriman, what does the Dark do to good emotions?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Cloaks them to darkness.
(c) Twists them.
(d) Amplifies them.
13. What does seeing the stranger in the black coat do to Will?
(a) It makes him whimper.
(b) It makes him feel hollow inside.
(c) It makes him angry.
(d) It makes him feel scared.
14. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
(a) 1000 years ago.
(b) 300 years ago.
(c) 500 years ago.
(d) 200 years ago.
15. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That he will be an Old One soon.
(b) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
(c) That he will soon make more money.
(d) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Christmas Eve, what emotion is running through the Stanton family?
2. What does The Lady remind Will of when he sees her for the first time at the manor?
3. How does Robin describe Will at eleven-years-old?
4. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
5. Two days after his birthday, how does Will's relationship with the animals change?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)