|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Will walks down what would have been Huntercombe Lane in his time, what doe he smell that makes his mouth water?
(a) Freshly baked bread.
(c) Baked apple pies.
(d) Roasting rabbit.
2. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(a) A donkey.
(c) A black stallion.
(d) A white mare.
3. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
(a) Because he wanted to sleep in.
(b) Because he wanted the snow to fall.
(c) Because he wanted to have a snowball fight with his brothers.
(d) Because he was happy to be alive.
4. What phrase does Mr. Dawson repeat to Will when Will visits him Midwinter's Eve?
(a) The Walker is the Dark.
(b) The Walker is abroad.
(c) The Walker seeks your soul.
(d) The Walker is dangerous.
5. According to Merriman, the next part of Will's quest depends on whom?
(a) The Rider.
(b) The Walker.
(d) The Lady.
6. Where are Will and his brother, James, going to get hay to feed the rabbits?
(a) Grocery Store.
(b) Rook's Woods.
(c) Dawson's farm.
(d) Stanton Farm.
7. What does Will find odd about the iron ornament's surface?
(a) It had no shine to it, or signs of rust.
(b) It was shiny, and no signs of rust.
(c) It had shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
(d) It had no shine to it, and showed signs of rust.
8. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
(a) The Rider.
(b) The Lady.
(d) Maggie Barnes.
9. What does Will want more than anything for his birthday?
(b) A good book.
(c) A new video game.
10. Who saves Will from being snatched by the rider?
(b) The blacksmith.
11. When Will walks home from town, what street does he decide to go down?
(a) The Great Woods.
(b) Tramp's Alley.
(c) Hunter's Cove.
(d) Huntercombe Lane.
12. Who tells Will that the tramp stole something from them?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Maggie Barnes.
(c) Mr. Dawson.
13. What does Will's sister, Gwen, give him at the end of the Sign-Seeker section of the novel?
(a) A hug.
(b) A fruit pie.
(c) A gift.
(d) A kiss.
14. What does the iron ornament do to Will's fingers?
(a) Numbs them.
(b) Cuts them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Bruises them.
15. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
(b) It means Will is escaping evil.
(c) It means Will is a wizard.
(d) It means Will is meeting his true father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Merriman when Will starts talking to Max?
2. Who owns Huntercombe Manor?
3. What does Merriman accuse Will of doing every spring at Huntercombe Manor?
4. According to the Walker, what do the rooks guide toward them?
5. As Will walks across the room at the manor, he notices that what image is everywhere?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)