|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Will eats breakfast with John Smith and Martha, what appears in the clearing?
(a) A black stallion.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A white mare.
2. What time does Mrs. Stanton want them back from caroling on Christmas Eve?
3. What symbols are on the horseshoes that John Smith puts on the mare?
(a) The same as the symbol on his ornament.
(b) The symbol of the Dark.
(c) The symbol of the church.
(d) The symbol of Christmas.
4. What does the author mean when she writes, "He was crystal-clear awake, in a Midwinter Day that had been waiting for him to wake into it since the day he had been born..."?
(a) It means Will is escaping evil.
(b) It means Will is a wizard.
(c) It means Will is meeting his destiny.
(d) It means Will is meeting his true father.
5. What emotion describes how Will is feeling when he wakes on Midwinter Day?
6. What does the fat lady say to the conductor about the weather at the beginning of The Walker on the Way?
(a) The rooks are coming to harm him.
(b) The Dark is trying to capture her.
(c) The Walker is on the way.
(d) More snow to come.
7. What impulsive comment does Will shout out to the bus conductor as he gets off the bus two days after his birthday?
(a) That it will be warm on Christmas Day.
(b) That he will soon make more money.
(c) That he will be an Old One soon.
(d) That he will be one of the forgotten ones.
8. Where is Will's bedroom located?
(a) In a guestroom.
(b) With one of his brothers.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In the basement.
9. What does Will pin over the door on Christmas Eve?
(c) A cross.
10. What song do Will, James, and his siblings carol for the Rector?
(a) O' Christmas Tree.
(c) Merry Christmas.
11. Who steps out of the shadows after Will demands his item from the Walker and calls to him?
(a) The Rider.
(c) Maggie Barnes.
(d) The Lady.
12. What does Will ask the two strangers when he meets them?
(a) About the time changes.
(b) About the Walker and the Rider.
(c) About the iron ornament.
(d) About the snow.
13. What is odd about the weather, according to the thin man with the pointed nose on the bus?
(a) This much snow fell in 1947 before Christmas.
(b) That this much snow has fallen before Christmas.
(c) That this much snow is falling before his birthday.
(d) That this much snow is falling before Will's birthday.
14. Why is Will disappointed about his birthday?
(a) His family didn't celebrate it.
(b) He didn't get a present from Stephen.
(c) Merriman didn't show up.
(d) The Dark tainted it.
15. What happens to Will's family the morning of Midwinter Day?
(a) They are separated by a horrible blizzard.
(b) They eat too much.
(c) They cannot speak.
(d) They cannot wake up.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merriman, how long ago did the kings of England preserve the forests that the Dark inhabit?
2. According to Mrs. Stanton, who is Tom?
3. What does Will find in a big cardboard container when decorating the Christmas tree?
4. Why does Will silently rejoice as he takes in the snow-covered landscape?
5. What does John Smith mean when he tells Will, "It is your privilege. Take hold of her mane where you can reach it, and you will see"?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)