|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sue learn takes an annual ritual bath at Kanathos in order to renew her virginity?
2. Sue buys Ann a statue of _________, the winged goddess of victory, uniting womanhood and power.
3. Sue believes that women need to unlearn ___________ lessons about the shame and the curse of being a woman.
4. Sue learns that while ___________ times where not utopian, they were nonviolent, egalitarian, and do not split nature and spirit.
5. Who visits Sue and tells her that her heart is a seed that she must plant in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sandy surprise Sue with when she lands at the airport after her trip to a speaking engagement?
2. What does Sue see in a magazine as the plane is beginning to descend from the sky and she wishes she could disappear into that image?
3. What is the news in the old newspaper clipping that Sue's mom sends?
4. What happens when Sue begins to think about the idea of polluted waters and the dolphins swimming in them?
5. What does Sue do on her last retreats at Springbank, in order to pass on her lessons to others?
6. What happens in the story of Inanna, which Sue begins to relate to in her stay at the inn?
7. What are some of the things which can achieved by internalizing the Divine Feminine, according to the book?
8. While she plans many rituals, Sue does not realize that these rituals serve a purpose in her journey? What do these rituals do?
9. What does Sue learn to be the name of the Goddess during a dream of her birth?
10. What does Sue take and then give an offering of another buffalo head nickel to balance the gift when she goes to see the buffaloes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue stands up for her daughter in the middle of the drugstore, possibly causing a scene for both herself and her daughter.
Part 1: Do you think it is necessary for Sue to say anything about the men who are talking about her daughter?
Part 2: How do you think Sue's daughter feels about her mom stepping in when the men are making rude comments?
Part 3: Why do you think Sue decides that she needs to say something about the men talking about her daughter?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Sue begins to realize she cannot write Christian literature anymore as she feels so strongly that it conflicts with who she is now.
Part 1: Why do you think Sue cannot write any more Christian literature?
Part 2: Do you think that a writer should be able to write no matter what happens in their life?
Part 3: Do you think that Sue Monk Kidd should discount her earlier writings because of her new thinking pattern?
Essay Topic 3
At first, Sandy reacts to the idea of the Goddess when they are in Avebury, thinking that it sounds odd.
Part 1: Why might Sandy have had the reaction that he did to the word Goddess?
Part 2: What might your reaction be to the word Goddess if you heard it uttered aloud?
Part 3: Do you think that all cultures have had some form of goddess worship at some point? Why?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)