|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther Harding says that being a __________ did not originally mean being chaste, but belonging to one's self.
2. How many times to Sue and Terry immerse themselves ritually while they are on the deserted island?
3. Maya Angelou says that no matter what people will do to her, "like air, ____________" in one of her many poems.
4. What does Sue have done in relation to her face when she is out in Crete with Terry during her trip?
5. What is the nickname Sue gives to the buffalo which she thinks she is buying as she is a kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue learn to be the name of the Goddess during a dream of her birth?
2. What is the news in the old newspaper clipping that Sue's mom sends?
3. What does Sue see to be a sacred place when she visits and sees a replica of Da Vinci's Cartoon of St. Anne?
4. What does Sue see in a magazine as the plane is beginning to descend from the sky and she wishes she could disappear into that image?
5. When Sandy and Sue come upon a large stone circle in Avebury, what does the guide book say it represents?
6. What does the much younger Sue want to do in response to the newspaper clipping that her mom has sent to her?
7. What does Sue believe is happening to the new girl-child who has been birthed by her awakening?
8. What does Sue plant in her backyard in order to create a space for being with the Divine Feminine?
9. What does the picture of Sappho have to tell Sue, although the other pictures in the museum do not affect her in the same way?
10. Who are the "kjerringsleppet" that Sue recalls in her writing in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In life, women are seen as the caretakers of men, committed to making sure everyone else is okay.
Part 1: Why do you think women are the ones who are typically the caretakers?
Part 2: Do you think that men can be caretakers of others?
Part 3: How is it damaging to be a caretaker of others?
Essay Topic 2
To some readers, it might seem that Christianity is being attacked in this book.
Part 1: Do you think Christianity purposefully keeps women in a submissive position?
Part 2: How does the Church benefit from the submission of women?
Part 3: How might the Church be strengthened if it includes more women in roles of power and authority?
Essay Topic 3
Sandy seems to be an understanding husband as this book progresses, who is hesitant at times but helpful in others.
Part 1: Do you think that men can ever truly understand the lives of women?
Part 2: Why do you think that Sandy makes an effort to be understanding in Sue's journey?
Part 3: How do you think you might feel if your partner was suddenly exploring a new way of thinking?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)