|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christian communities continue to accept the Letter of __________ as proof that women are to be silenced.
2. What does Sue learn that some people think that ERA stands for, in addition to Equal Rights Amendment?
3. What is the color of the journal Sue begins when she feels as though she needs to cast away the old in order to make way for the new?
4. Womanhood is seen as being too _________ for patriarchal religion, according to Sue.
5. What is NOT one of the things that Sue Monk Kidd says that women will encounter in the workforce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Goddess Hera take an annual bath at Kanathos, according to Sue's findings?
2. What does Sue see in a magazine as the plane is beginning to descend from the sky and she wishes she could disappear into that image?
3. How would a person describe the life of Sue Monk Kidd at this point of the book in relation to her family, profession, and religion?
4. What does the old woman's t-shirt say which Sue sees when she tries to envision a world which is equal?
5. What does Sue do in order to cultivate her own creativity and to create space for it in her life?
6. While she plans many rituals, Sue does not realize that these rituals serve a purpose in her journey? What do these rituals do?
7. When Sandy and Sue come upon a large stone circle in Avebury, what does the guide book say it represents?
8. What does Sue find happens to girls as they grow older and they enter into their adolescence?
9. Why does Sue choose to display a picture of the Minoan Snake Goddess in her study?
10. How does Sue begin to define the idea of patriarchy when she starts out this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Sue begins to realize she cannot write Christian literature anymore as she feels so strongly that it conflicts with who she is now.
Part 1: Why do you think Sue cannot write any more Christian literature?
Part 2: Do you think that a writer should be able to write no matter what happens in their life?
Part 3: Do you think that Sue Monk Kidd should discount her earlier writings because of her new thinking pattern?
Essay Topic 2
Sue feels that she needs to have a sort of turning point in which she realizes she can not go back to the way she was.
Part 1: Why do you think this sort of turning point is essential in one's spiritual journey?
Part 2: What might have happened if Sue had not had this turning point in her life?
Part 3: Do you feel that you have had to reach certain turning points in order to change your own life?
Essay Topic 3
At first, Sandy reacts to the idea of the Goddess when they are in Avebury, thinking that it sounds odd.
Part 1: Why might Sandy have had the reaction that he did to the word Goddess?
Part 2: What might your reaction be to the word Goddess if you heard it uttered aloud?
Part 3: Do you think that all cultures have had some form of goddess worship at some point? Why?
This section contains 2,021 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)