|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the writers in the Bible said that in Christ there is no male or female?
2. Sue recognizes that she needs to forgive herself for not being born __________, a strange idea for her.
3. How many children does Sue Monk Kidd have as she relates in the story about her history and her background?
4. Who is the first person that Sue talks to about the journey she experiences in her life?
5. After her slip of the tongue at the monastery, Sue begins to realize that she was immersed in the world of the ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue do in order to symbolically cast away the old when she realizes she needs to get rid of her assumptions?
2. What is the story that Sue's friend Betty shares with her about how a family teaches their children about the river?
3. What does Sue point out that many pregnant women apologize to their husbands for?
4. What does the old woman's t-shirt say which Sue sees when she tries to envision a world which is equal?
5. What does Sue believe that she is because she lacks teachers to help her on her journey?
6. What does Sue feel she is lacking internally that prevents her from questioning the male authority and her role in the world?
7. How are girls expected to become less threatening when they are in school or when they are in a working environment?
8. When Ann is younger and asks why women cannot be deacons in the church, what is the answer that her Vacation Bible School teacher tell her?
9. How does Sue feel that women have become inferior in the way they think and behave, even though they are not this way naturally?
10. How does Sue try to avoid dealing with the emerging realization of the Feminine Wound in this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men in the drugstore note that a woman's place is on her knees, which infuriates Sue.
Part 1: Why do you think these men believe that women should be on their knees before men?
Part 2: Do you think that all men believe that women should be subservient?
Part 3: How might you have reacted if you heard the men say that a woman should be on their knees?
Essay Topic 2
Sue is worried that her new viewpoint on the world will affect her marriage to Sandy.
Part 1: Do you think a marriage should be able to survive an awakening by one person in the partnership?
Part 2: Why do you think that Sandy tries to talk her out of the feminist thing?
Part 3: Do you think that Sue would continue her quest if she were to lose Sandy in the process?
Essay Topic 3
The dreams Sue has seem to indicate that she is on the right path. They help her see obstacles and the way that her mind works on the questions she still has.
Part 1: Do you feel that dreams are an important part of your experience as a human being?
Part 2: How do dreams affect the way a person lives their daily life?
Part 3: Why do you think Sue begins to have so many dreams about her spiritual questions?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)