|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emerson meet in the shadows in Chapter 11?
2. Why do Emerson and Amelia intend to spend the night at the tomb?
3. Why does Amelia recommend another person be invited to stay at Baskerville House?
4. What is Emerson's partner in his show dressed as?
5. What language does the nun at Baskerville House speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ramses say to his parents in his letter?
2. What information does Ali Hussan provide the Emersons with?
3. What does Mary tell Amelia and Emerson when they arrive at Baskerville House in Chapter 13?
4. What do the Emersons discover has happened to Milverton in Chapter 10?
5. What does Amelia make a chart of in Chapter 15?
6. Why does Emerson decide to get involved in the murder investigation in Chapter 10? Who does he intend to get help from?
7. Why does Amelia suspect Madame Berengeria is responsible for Armadale's death?
8. What does Emerson find when he knocks through the tomb wall painted with a portrait of Anubis?
9. What does Dr. Dubois conclude about Armadale's death?
10. What do Emerson and Amelia discover about the pendant found in the tomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Peters' use of contrast. What are some contrasting settings, characters, and images? What is Peters trying to convey through these contrasts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel, "The Curse of the Pharaohs." What are some examples of love and romance in the novel? Why is Mary so popular with the gentlemen? Who does Lady Baskerville become engaged to? How do these situations affect the tone?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the theme of murder in the novel, "The Curse of the Pharaohs." Describe the different examples of death and murder. What are the circumstances surrounding these examples? How do these deaths and murders propel the plot?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)