|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used to keep broken artifacts together at the dig site?
2. What does Madame Berengeria accuse her daughter of?
3. What part of Armadale's body has been painted?
4. What is found under the skeleton?
5. What has Lady Baskerville brought back to Baskerville House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the skeleton found in the tomb? What is the skeleton found with?
2. What is Madame Berengeria's reaction to Emerson's performance?
3. How does Amelia apprehend the figure in white?
4. What happens when Amelia follows an unknown figure in the dark in Chapter 11?
5. What does Mary tell Amelia and Emerson when they arrive at Baskerville House in Chapter 13?
6. Why does Emerson decide to get involved in the murder investigation in Chapter 10? Who does he intend to get help from?
7. What does Lady Baskerville serve to her guests in Chapter 16? What turns out to be significant about this service?
8. What does Amelia tell Mary was Madame Berengeria's cause of death? What does Amelia actually believe?
9. Why does Amelia suspect Madame Berengeria is responsible for Armadale's death?
10. What does Emerson find when he knocks through the tomb wall painted with a portrait of Anubis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel, "The Curse of the Pharaohs." What are some examples of love and romance in the novel? Why is Mary so popular with the gentlemen? Who does Lady Baskerville become engaged to? How do these situations affect the tone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peters' use of humor in the novel. What kind of humor does she use? What does Peters poke fun at? What are some examples of Peters' use of humor during darker moments? Why might Peters have decided to use humor at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Why might Amelia have suspected them of murder at times? What motives could these characters have had for murder? Which characters bring a comedic element to the novel?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)