|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson tell Amelia he was bluffing about?
2. What is discovered about Armadale in Chapter 11?
3. What does Emerson insist Mary do?
4. What has happened to Milverton?
5. Who does Emerson take with him to guard the tomb in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madame Berengeria accuse her daughter of in Chapter 14?
2. Why does Amelia think Ali Hassan lead the party in circles before taking them to the cave?
3. What happens when Amelia follows an unknown figure in the dark in Chapter 11?
4. What do Lady Baskerville and Mary argue about in Chapter 11? How does Emerson solve the argument?
5. What do the Emersons discover has happened to Milverton in Chapter 10?
6. What does Emerson find when he knocks through the tomb wall painted with a portrait of Anubis?
7. Why does Amelia suspect Madame Berengeria is responsible for Armadale's death?
8. What does Amelia hear as she and O'Connell are walking to the tomb, and how does she respond?
9. What does Emerson say to cheer up O'Connell at the end of Chapter 14?
10. What does Ramses say to his parents in his letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel, Lady Baskerville. What are her defining characteristics? Why is she the antagonist of the novel? As the reader, did you suspect Lady Baskerville of being the murderer prior to the reveal in Chapter Sixteen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is a parody? What makes "The Curse of the Pharaohs" a parody? What is the novel a parody of?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and describe the background and career of the author of the novel, Elizabeth Peters. Is she knowledgeable in the subject of archaeology? What other novels has she written?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)