|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In how many hours does Emerson say he will be able to announce the name of the murderer?
2. What sense does Amelia say the male sex lacks in Chapter 13?
3. What markings are on the object found under the skeleton?
4. Who announces that he is engaged, at breakfast in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Amelia suspect the trip to the caves took so long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Dubois conclude about Armadale's death?
2. What does Mary tell Amelia and Emerson when they arrive at Baskerville House in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Amelia suspect Madame Berengeria is responsible for Armadale's death?
4. What do the Emersons discover has happened to Milverton in Chapter 10?
5. What does Amelia make a chart of in Chapter 15?
6. How does Amelia apprehend the figure in white?
7. What does Emerson say to cheer up O'Connell at the end of Chapter 14?
8. What does Lady Baskerville announce at breakfast? What does Mr. Vandergelt announce at breakfast?
9. What information does Ali Hussan provide the Emersons with?
10. What does Karl tell Emerson was a foolish mistake in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist's back story. What is learned about Amelia in the previous book in the series? Why might it be important to know when reading this novel? Is it absolutely necessary to be aware of these events or aspects of her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and interpret the theme of gender in the novel. What are the typical gender roles of the Victorian era? What characters are not examples of the typical Victorian male or female?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Peters' use of contrast. What are some contrasting settings, characters, and images? What is Peters trying to convey through these contrasts?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)