|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Amelia and Emerson want to stop Madame Berengeria from doing in Chapter 8?
2. Why does the imam wait for the Emersons at the tomb?
3. How does Amelia strain muscles in her back in Chapter 8?
4. Who does Amelia suspect of Milverton in Chapter 8?
5. Who lives in the village Emerson insists on visiting in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emerson insist on diverting the journey to the dig site by stopping in a village?
2. What has curtailed Amelia and Emerson's travels to Egypt? What do they spend their days doing now?
3. What does Lady Baskerville scream at in Chapter 6?
4. What does Lady Baskerville ask of Emerson in Chapter 2, and under what circumstance does he accept her proposal?
5. What is the cause of a howl heard from outside Baskerville House in Chapter 5?
6. Who does Karl suggest work as the dig's artist, and why does Milverton object?
7. What concerns Emerson about the staffing of dig site in Chapter 4? Why is the expedition missing this member of the team?
8. What theories does Emerson have about the tomb after the first day at the excavation site?
9. Why does Amelia host guests for tea in Chapter 1?
10. What does Emerson think of Amelia's arranged midnight meeting with Milverton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyse Peters' use of suspense in the novel. When does she create a suspenseful mood? Why does she do this? How does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and interpret the theme of gender in the novel. What are the typical gender roles of the Victorian era? What characters are not examples of the typical Victorian male or female?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the curse which is referred to throughout the novel. Why do the characters fear the curse? What kind of curse is it? Why are the characters cursed?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)