|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fish did Steve promise Hunter they would catch?
2. What is Hunter standing next to in the picture?
3. How does Ralph alter the picture of Captain Cook in this section?
4. What did Hunter beat the marlin with?
5. How does Hunter go against Steve's orders in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems is Hunter causing the hotel in this section?
2. How does King Kealakehua greet Captain Cook in this section?
3. How does Hunter say he silenced the marlin in this section?
4. Describe Ralph's picture that accompanies the Law of the Splintered Oar story.
5. Why does Captain Cook detain the Hawaiian king?
6. Describe Hunter's road trip down Saddle Road.
7. Why does Hunter flee to the City of Refuge?
8. How does Hunter describe sport fishing in Hawaii?
9. How do Hunter and Ackerman fool the doctor in this section?
10. What is the story of the Law of the Splintered Oar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Thompson develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Gonzo journalism? In what way is the Curse of Lono an example of Gonzo Journalism?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)