|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the second chapter in this section?
2. What does Steve jump into the water to free in this section?
3. Who are the Hawaiians angry that Cook has detained?
4. What does Hunter say litters the streets of Kona?
5. What is the name of the first chapter in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hunter and Ackerman fool the doctor in this section?
2. How has Kona changed when Hunter returns?
3. How does Captain Cook anger the natives in this section?
4. What is the story of the Law of the Splintered Oar?
5. How does Hunter scare the crowd at the weigh in?
6. What was King Kamehameha's reputation?
7. Describe the picture at the end of A Dog Took My place.
8. How does Hunter say he silenced the marlin in this section?
9. Why did Hunter decide to use the bomb?
10. What is Ralph and his family's new plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Thompson say about liberalism? How does his argument relate to 1980s culture? How does he use story elements such as characterization to express his view?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's life.
1. Write a short biography of the author.
2. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)