|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ackerman tell Hunter he plans to use the hotel for?
2. What does Steve jump into the water to free in this section?
3. What kind of fruit sits on the diving board in Ralph's picture?
4. What kind of drug is Laila taking at the caretaker's cottage?
5. What does Hunter say he stared down in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Hunter have at the beginning of the ninth section?
2. What is the group's plan regarding South Point?
3. Why does Hunter flee to the City of Refuge?
4. How does Ralph depict Steve in this section?
5. Why did Hunter decide to use the bomb?
6. Describe Ralph's picture that accompanies the Law of the Splintered Oar story.
7. How does Hunter scare the crowd at the weigh in?
8. How do Hunter and Ackerman fool the doctor in this section?
9. Why does Hunter become paranoid in this section?
10. Describe Hunter's road trip down Saddle Road.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Hunter's main argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Hunter's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Hunter greatly influenced Gonzo journalism. Choose a journalist that you think was influenced by the book and discuss its similarities with the book in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Curse of a Lono is a good example of Thompson's subjective writing style.
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of writing so subjectively?
2. Why did Thompson's subjective style become so popular?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)