|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator returns to his original seat on the train, what does he find is missing?
2. Why does the narrator say he does not like new places?
3. Where does the narrator hide as the train approaches Didcot Parkway?
4. Who does the narrator ask to watch Toby while he goes to visit his mother?
5. In the fourth letter, what medical procedure does mother say she had done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Christopher not tell Father that he knows about Mother leaving with Mr. Shears? Why does Christopher not tell his Father that he has written about this in his novel? Why does Christopher not tell his father that he has found Mother's letters? Does he think father will be upset that Christopher knows this information? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 103, is the conversation about Parky and the ancient circuits relevant to the story of Christopher and Wellington, or is it just a clever device to slip in the double-entendre about the sleeping dog? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme in the book with Christopher believing that his mother is dead and discovering a dead Wellington on the lawn. However, it is through Wellington's death that Christopher discovers his mother is alive. Why do you think Christopher's father told Christopher that his mother was dead? Why would he create the story about Mother dying at the hospital? Did Father's action symbolize his burying of his relationship with mother? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)