|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons the narrator gives for finding people confusing?
2. What did Father take to the hospital when he went to visit Mother?
3. What colors does the narrator say he does not like?
4. What did Father tell the narrator his mother died of?
5. What does Father make the narrator promise to give up at the end of Chapter 79?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's feelings towards his father and how he deals with his feelings in Chapter 233?
2. How does Christopher respond to seeing four yellow cars on his way to school?
3. Compare Christopher's early experience with the toilet at school (Chapter 157) and his experience on the toilet on the train (Chapter 197).
4. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
5. What happens to Christopher during the six days he waits to look at the letters?
6. How does Christopher escape the police officer in Chapter 211?
7. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
8. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
9. What is the purpose of Chapter 199?
10. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Christopher's three most significant accomplishments in this book? Why are these accomplishments so significant? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several illustrations throughout the book. What roles do these illustration have in regards to the text in the novel? Why is it necessary for the author to include these illustrations? What do these illustrations say about the author? What do these illustrations say about Christopher? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 103, is the conversation about Parky and the ancient circuits relevant to the story of Christopher and Wellington, or is it just a clever device to slip in the double-entendre about the sleeping dog? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)