|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long was the narrator hugging the dog when he heard screaming?
2. The type of day the narrator has depends on the number of cars he passes on the way to school. What are the two types of days that he has?
3. What does the narrator have to do to the Gobi Aloo Sag before he can eat it?
4. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
5. How does the narrator's father describe Mr. Shears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What series of events causes Christopher and his mother to head back to Swindon?
2. How does Christopher escape the police officer in Chapter 211?
3. Why is Father upset with Christopher in Chapter 79?
4. Compare Christopher's behavior in the train station in Swindon to his behavior when he first goes down into the subway tunnel.
5. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
6. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
7. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
8. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
9. Describe the series of events that led to Christopher's arrest.
10. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Christopher a nontraditional hero? What actions does he take to showcase his heroic side? What are Christopher's strengths as a hero? What are Christopher's weaknesses as a hero? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several illustrations throughout the book. What roles do these illustration have in regards to the text in the novel? Why is it necessary for the author to include these illustrations? What do these illustrations say about the author? What do these illustrations say about Christopher? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the book is rage. How does Christopher express his rage? How does Father express his rage? How does Mother express her rage? What similarities are there in the way the family expresses their rage? What differences are here in the way the family expresses their rage? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)