|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words describe the demeanor of the narrator's father on the ride home from the police headquarters?
2. What is the narrator's full name?
3. What reason does the narrator give for having a pond at school?
4. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
5. What profession does the narrator tell his readers he would be good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter 199?
2. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
3. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
4. Why does Father kill Wellington?
5. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
6. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
7. What groundbreaking information does Christopher find out in the Chapter 149, and how does he learn this information?
8. What information does Christopher learn in the first letter from his mother that he reads?
9. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
10. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 103, is the conversation about Parky and the ancient circuits relevant to the story of Christopher and Wellington, or is it just a clever device to slip in the double-entendre about the sleeping dog? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the narrator so concerned with taking the A-level test? What will taking the A-level test prove? Is it necessary for the narrator to take the A-level exam? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing in the novel? What is his purpose for using foreshadowing? Why is it necessary to use foreshadowing in a mystery? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)