|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
2. What emotion was expressed in the first face picture that Siobhan shared with the narrator?
3. What does the narrator compare his memory to?
4. What colors does the narrator say he does not like?
5. How does Mrs. Forbes respond to the narrator's dislike of two colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chapter 173 symbolic?
2. Mother gives Christopher more insight into her relationship with Mr. Shears. How does her relationship with Mr. Shears develop?
3. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
4. How does Christopher explain the meaning of adverts, and what example of an advert does he give?
5. Why does Christopher go to Mrs. Alexander's house? What does he tell her? Why does Christopher leave her house in a hurry?
6. Why does Father kill Wellington?
7. Compare Christopher's behavior in the train station in Swindon to his behavior when he first goes down into the subway tunnel.
8. How does Christopher determine where he will go live now that he has learned that father killed Wellington? Why does he make the decision to go to London?
9. Describe Christopher's adventures at the police headquarters.
10. What groundbreaking information does Christopher find out in the Chapter 149, and how does he learn this information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Christopher's three most significant accomplishments in this book? Why are these accomplishments so significant? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are Christopher's views on God? How does he view God? Does he believe in God? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the book is rage. How does Christopher express his rage? How does Father express his rage? How does Mother express her rage? What similarities are there in the way the family expresses their rage? What differences are here in the way the family expresses their rage? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)