|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Mrs. Gascoyne initially not going to allow the narrator to take the A-level exam?
2. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
3. What is the name of Mrs. Alexander's dog?
4. What is the narrator's full name?
5. What type of dog does Mrs. Alexander own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
2. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
3. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
4. How does Christopher behave while in the subway tunnel?
5. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
6. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
7. Why does Christopher feel he cannot trust his father? How does he react towards Father after he confesses to Wellington's death?
8. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
9. How did Christopher's "behavioral problems" impact the relationship between his parents?
10. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in the book is rage. How does Christopher express his rage? How does Father express his rage? How does Mother express her rage? What similarities are there in the way the family expresses their rage? What differences are here in the way the family expresses their rage? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the narrator so concerned with taking the A-level test? What will taking the A-level test prove? Is it necessary for the narrator to take the A-level exam? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are Christopher's three most significant accomplishments in this book? Why are these accomplishments so significant? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)