|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mrs. Alexander's dog?
2. What did Father tell the narrator his mother died of?
3. What time was it when the narrator saw the dog laying on the grass?
4. Why do the police arrest the narrator?
5. What fear does the narrator overcome while trying to solve the mystery of the dog's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter 181? Why does the author feel the need to include Chapter 181 in the novel?
2. Describe The Case of the Cottingley Fairies.
3. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
4. What is the purpose of Chapter 199?
5. Describe the series of events that led to Christopher's arrest.
6. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
7. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
8. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
9. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
10. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several chapters in the book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, are missing from the novel. Why does the author choose to leave these chapters out? Do the missing chapters add to the mystery in the novel? Do you think these chapters contain any important information? How would the story changed if all the chapters were included in the novel? Would it be the same or different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are Christopher's views on God? How does he view God? Does he believe in God? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is it that Christopher can look at the clouds and envision an alien spacecraft and other imaginary forms but is so totally closed off to the notion of anything that is not observable in the real universe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)