|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he uses prime numbers?
2. What colors does the narrator say he does not like?
3. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
4. Where does the narrator's father take him for an outing in Chapter 137?
5. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father kill Wellington?
2. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
3. How does Christopher respond to seeing four yellow cars on his way to school?
4. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
5. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
6. How does Christopher compare his father's and mother's anger towards him?
7. How does Christopher explain the meaning of adverts, and what example of an advert does he give?
8. How does Christopher illustrate that he "sees everything"?
9. Why does Christopher feel he cannot trust his father? How does he react towards Father after he confesses to Wellington's death?
10. What series of events causes Christopher and his mother to head back to Swindon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is a theme in the book with Christopher believing that his mother is dead and discovering a dead Wellington on the lawn. However, it is through Wellington's death that Christopher discovers his mother is alive. Why do you think Christopher's father told Christopher that his mother was dead? Why would he create the story about Mother dying at the hospital? Did Father's action symbolize his burying of his relationship with mother? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several illustrations throughout the book. What roles do these illustration have in regards to the text in the novel? Why is it necessary for the author to include these illustrations? What do these illustrations say about the author? What do these illustrations say about Christopher? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Christopher has a hard time expressing his emotions in several situations in the book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. How does Christopher deal with his emotions? What statements does he make to reveal his emotions? How does he react to different emotional situations? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,168 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)