|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
2. Why does the narrator decide to investigate the death of the dog despite his father's admonishments?
3. What does the narrator's memory have that is similar to a soundtrack?
4. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
5. At the end of Chapter 67, who does the narrator think killed the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
2. How does Christopher escape the police officer in Chapter 211?
3. What is the significance of Christopher's dream in Chapter 229?
4. Why is Father upset with Christopher in Chapter 79?
5. What does Christopher tell Mr. Jeavons about Terry? And why is it significant that he reveals his conversation with Terry?
6. What is significant about Christopher's behavior in Chapter 191?
7. How does Christopher illustrate that he "sees everything"?
8. Mother gives Christopher more insight into her relationship with Mr. Shears. How does her relationship with Mr. Shears develop?
9. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
10. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several chapters in the book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, are missing from the novel. Why does the author choose to leave these chapters out? Do the missing chapters add to the mystery in the novel? Do you think these chapters contain any important information? How would the story changed if all the chapters were included in the novel? Would it be the same or different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Christopher view reality? Does he live in the same reality as all of the other characters? Or does he live in an altered reality? Explain your answer. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Christopher has a deep fear of strangers. How does he overcome this fear during his adventure to London? What techniques does he use to cope with the strangers? Why is it significant that he is able to cope with being around the strangers? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)