|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 89, what Joseph Conrad book does Siobhan tell the narrator about?
2. What does the narrator say caused much of the stress in his parent's relationship?
3. What type of dog does Mrs. Alexander own?
4. What time was it when the narrator saw the dog laying on the grass?
5. How many attachments does the narrator's Swiss army knife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
2. Describe Christopher and Father's Saturday outing in Chapter 137.
3. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
4. Why does Christopher go to Mrs. Alexander's house? What does he tell her? Why does Christopher leave her house in a hurry?
5. Why does Christopher not believe in the supernatural? Give one example of supernatural mysteries that he does not believe in.
6. What groundbreaking information does Christopher find out in the Chapter 149, and how does he learn this information?
7. Describe The Case of the Cottingley Fairies.
8. What series of events causes Christopher and his mother to head back to Swindon?
9. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
10. Compare Christopher's early experience with the toilet at school (Chapter 157) and his experience on the toilet on the train (Chapter 197).
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the narrator so concerned with taking the A-level test? What will taking the A-level test prove? Is it necessary for the narrator to take the A-level exam? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Father's motivation for keeping the truth about Mother away from Christopher? Is his purpose to save Christopher's feelings or to punish his wife? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the book is rage. How does Christopher express his rage? How does Father express his rage? How does Mother express her rage? What similarities are there in the way the family expresses their rage? What differences are here in the way the family expresses their rage? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,109 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)