|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept, which appeared in a newspaper column, does the narrator explain in Chapter 101?
2. What was the breed of the dog the narrator found on the grass?
3. What does Siobhan ask the narrator about at school on Monday in Chapter 149?
4. Why did the narrator like the grass?
5. Why is the narrator's father frustrated by the time they reach home from the police headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
2. Describe Christopher's favorite dream.
3. Describe Christopher's adventures at the police headquarters.
4. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
5. How does Christopher escape the police officer in Chapter 211?
6. What does Christopher tell Mr. Jeavons about Terry? And why is it significant that he reveals his conversation with Terry?
7. Describe Christopher's feelings towards his father and how he deals with his feelings in Chapter 233?
8. How does Christopher compare his father's and mother's anger towards him?
9. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
10. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the novel end so suddenly, unlike the start of the novel which takes a while to build? Please discuss the novel's pace and use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is it that Christopher can look at the clouds and envision an alien spacecraft and other imaginary forms but is so totally closed off to the notion of anything that is not observable in the real universe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme in the book with Christopher believing that his mother is dead and discovering a dead Wellington on the lawn. However, it is through Wellington's death that Christopher discovers his mother is alive. Why do you think Christopher's father told Christopher that his mother was dead? Why would he create the story about Mother dying at the hospital? Did Father's action symbolize his burying of his relationship with mother? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,200 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)