|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father make the narrator promise to give up at the end of Chapter 79?
2. What does the narrator have to do to the Gobi Aloo Sag before he can eat it?
3. What fear does the narrator overcome while trying to solve the mystery of the dog's death?
4. Who wrote the letter that the narrator finds at the bottom of the cupboard?
5. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Christopher not take a vacation?
2. What are three reasons why Christopher does not like brown or yellow?
3. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
4. Mother gives Christopher more insight into her relationship with Mr. Shears. How does her relationship with Mr. Shears develop?
5. What information does Christopher learn in the first letter from his mother that he reads?
6. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
7. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
8. How does Christopher illustrate that he "sees everything"?
9. What does Christopher tell Mr. Jeavons about Terry? And why is it significant that he reveals his conversation with Terry?
10. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father tells Christopher that he killed Wellington because he was upset at Mrs. Shears and did not like the fact that she thought more of the dog then she did of him. Why does father take his anger out on the dog? Why does he not tell Mrs. Shears that he killed Wellington? Why does Father wait so long to tell Christopher that he is the dog's killer? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme in the book with Christopher believing that his mother is dead and discovering a dead Wellington on the lawn. However, it is through Wellington's death that Christopher discovers his mother is alive. Why do you think Christopher's father told Christopher that his mother was dead? Why would he create the story about Mother dying at the hospital? Did Father's action symbolize his burying of his relationship with mother? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Christopher has a deep fear of strangers. How does he overcome this fear during his adventure to London? What techniques does he use to cope with the strangers? Why is it significant that he is able to cope with being around the strangers? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)