|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Alexander respond when the narrator asks if Mrs. Shears killed his mother?
2. What is the name of the man who works for Father and greets the narrator at the start of Chapter 103?
3. What is the name of the dog the narrator finds lying on the grass?
4. When the narrator sees four yellow cars in a row, what type of day does that signal for him?
5. Why do the police arrest the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "How the Mind Works" experiment.
2. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
3. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
4. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
5. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
6. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
7. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
8. Why does Christopher say people believe in God? How does he view people that believe in God? What are Christopher's beliefs?
9. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
10. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in the novel? What is his purpose for using foreshadowing? Why is it necessary to use foreshadowing in a mystery? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the novel end so suddenly, unlike the start of the novel which takes a while to build? Please discuss the novel's pace and use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Father tells Christopher that he killed Wellington because he was upset at Mrs. Shears and did not like the fact that she thought more of the dog then she did of him. Why does father take his anger out on the dog? Why does he not tell Mrs. Shears that he killed Wellington? Why does Father wait so long to tell Christopher that he is the dog's killer? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)