|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 109, what does the narrator spend the afternoon doing?
2. In Chapter 79, what is Father doing when the narrator returns home?
3. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
4. What does the narrator put on the kitchen table when he returns home in Chapter 127?
5. What does Father make the narrator promise to give up at the end of Chapter 79?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is a murder mystery? Why does he decide to write a murder mystery?
2. Mother gives Christopher more insight into her relationship with Mr. Shears. How does her relationship with Mr. Shears develop?
3. Why does Christopher feel he cannot trust his father? How does he react towards Father after he confesses to Wellington's death?
4. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
5. Describe the "How the Mind Works" experiment.
6. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
7. Why would Christopher not take a vacation?
8. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
9. What is the point of Chapter 101?
10. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several illustrations throughout the book. What roles do these illustration have in regards to the text in the novel? Why is it necessary for the author to include these illustrations? What do these illustrations say about the author? What do these illustrations say about Christopher? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing in the novel? What is his purpose for using foreshadowing? Why is it necessary to use foreshadowing in a mystery? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Christopher view reality? Does he live in the same reality as all of the other characters? Or does he live in an altered reality? Explain your answer. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)