|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear does the narrator overcome while trying to solve the mystery of the dog's death?
2. According to the narrator, what color is Gobi Aloo Sag?
3. Where did Uncle Terry encounter a ghost?
4. What does the narrator's memory have that is similar to a soundtrack?
5. What is the name of the dog the narrator finds lying on the grass?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher escape the police officer in Chapter 211?
2. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
3. According to Christopher, what is time? What is not time?
4. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
5. How does Christopher explain the meaning of adverts, and what example of an advert does he give?
6. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
7. How does the narrator view cardinal number and prime numbers?
8. Why is Father upset with Christopher in Chapter 79?
9. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
10. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Christopher not tell Father that he knows about Mother leaving with Mr. Shears? Why does Christopher not tell his Father that he has written about this in his novel? Why does Christopher not tell his father that he has found Mother's letters? Does he think father will be upset that Christopher knows this information? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme in the book with Christopher believing that his mother is dead and discovering a dead Wellington on the lawn. However, it is through Wellington's death that Christopher discovers his mother is alive. Why do you think Christopher's father told Christopher that his mother was dead? Why would he create the story about Mother dying at the hospital? Did Father's action symbolize his burying of his relationship with mother? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the novel end so suddenly, unlike the start of the novel which takes a while to build? Please discuss the novel's pace and use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,098 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)