|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion was expressed in the first face picture that Siobhan shared with the narrator?
2. What is the setting of Chapter 109?
3. Why does the narrator say he will not bother his father after his father admits to being sad?
4. According to the narrator, what four moods does the dog have?
5. Who wrote the letter that the narrator finds at the bottom of the cupboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
2. How does Christopher explain Mr. and Mrs. Shears' relationship?
3. Describe The Case of the Cottingley Fairies.
4. How does Christopher respond to seeing four yellow cars on his way to school?
5. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
6. Why is Father upset with Christopher in Chapter 79?
7. How does Christopher compare his father's and mother's anger towards him?
8. What are three reasons why Christopher does not like brown or yellow?
9. Describe Christopher's father.
10. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in the book is rage. How does Christopher express his rage? How does Father express his rage? How does Mother express her rage? What similarities are there in the way the family expresses their rage? What differences are here in the way the family expresses their rage? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Christopher not tell Father that he knows about Mother leaving with Mr. Shears? Why does Christopher not tell his Father that he has written about this in his novel? Why does Christopher not tell his father that he has found Mother's letters? Does he think father will be upset that Christopher knows this information? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is it that Christopher can look at the clouds and envision an alien spacecraft and other imaginary forms but is so totally closed off to the notion of anything that is not observable in the real universe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,063 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)