|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 67, who does the narrator think killed the dog?
2. What was the breed of the dog the narrator found on the grass?
3. What types of books does the narrator mostly read?
4. What does the narrator compare his memory to?
5. What does Father decide to do on Saturday instead of taking the narrator on a weekly trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher determine where he will go live now that he has learned that father killed Wellington? Why does he make the decision to go to London?
2. What series of events causes Christopher and his mother to head back to Swindon?
3. Describe Christopher's favorite dream.
4. What is significant about Christopher's behavior in Chapter 191?
5. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
6. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
7. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
8. Describe The Case of the Cottingley Fairies.
9. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
10. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Christopher's views on God? How does he view God? Does he believe in God? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several illustrations throughout the book. What roles do these illustration have in regards to the text in the novel? Why is it necessary for the author to include these illustrations? What do these illustrations say about the author? What do these illustrations say about Christopher? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is it that Christopher can look at the clouds and envision an alien spacecraft and other imaginary forms but is so totally closed off to the notion of anything that is not observable in the real universe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)