|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 67, who does the narrator think killed the dog?
2. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
3. What does the narrator put on the kitchen table when he returns home in Chapter 127?
4. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
5. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rhodri.
2. Describe Christopher's father.
3. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
4. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
5. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
6. What happens to Christopher during the six days he waits to look at the letters?
7. Describe Christopher and Father's Saturday outing in Chapter 137.
8. How does Christopher compare his father's and mother's anger towards him?
9. What is the significance of Christopher's dream in Chapter 229?
10. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 103, is the conversation about Parky and the ancient circuits relevant to the story of Christopher and Wellington, or is it just a clever device to slip in the double-entendre about the sleeping dog? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Christopher has a deep fear of strangers. How does he overcome this fear during his adventure to London? What techniques does he use to cope with the strangers? Why is it significant that he is able to cope with being around the strangers? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Christopher view reality? Does he live in the same reality as all of the other characters? Or does he live in an altered reality? Explain your answer. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)