|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator compare his memory to?
2. What drawing is the narrator carrying with him at the police headquarters?
3. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
4. Where did Uncle Terry encounter a ghost?
5. For how long was the narrator hugging the dog when he heard screaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
2. According to the narrator, what is a murder mystery? Why does he decide to write a murder mystery?
3. Why does Father kill Wellington?
4. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
5. What is the point of Chapter 101?
6. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
7. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
8. How does Christopher behave while in the subway tunnel?
9. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
10. What are three reasons why Christopher does not like brown or yellow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the narrator so concerned with taking the A-level test? What will taking the A-level test prove? Is it necessary for the narrator to take the A-level exam? Why or why not? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Christopher has a deep fear of strangers. How does he overcome this fear during his adventure to London? What techniques does he use to cope with the strangers? Why is it significant that he is able to cope with being around the strangers? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Christopher not tell Father that he knows about Mother leaving with Mr. Shears? Why does Christopher not tell his Father that he has written about this in his novel? Why does Christopher not tell his father that he has found Mother's letters? Does he think father will be upset that Christopher knows this information? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)