|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
2. What emotion was expressed in the first face picture that Siobhan shared with the narrator?
3. What concept, which appeared in a newspaper column, does the narrator explain in Chapter 101?
4. What type of dog does Mrs. Alexander own?
5. Where did Uncle Terry encounter a ghost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
2. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
3. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
4. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
5. What information does Christopher learn in the first letter from his mother that he reads?
6. According to Christopher, what is time? What is not time?
7. What is significant about Christopher's behavior in Chapter 191?
8. Why does Christopher not believe in the supernatural? Give one example of supernatural mysteries that he does not believe in.
9. How does Christopher explain Mr. and Mrs. Shears' relationship?
10. Does Christopher believe in heaven? Why or Why not? Whose opinion about heaven does he seek and what do they tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it that Christopher can look at the clouds and envision an alien spacecraft and other imaginary forms but is so totally closed off to the notion of anything that is not observable in the real universe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Christopher has a hard time expressing his emotions in several situations in the book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. How does Christopher deal with his emotions? What statements does he make to reveal his emotions? How does he react to different emotional situations? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the novel not end when Christopher discovers the identity of Wellington's killer? Is the dog's death the real mystery of the novel or is the death of Christopher's mother the real mystery of the novel? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,047 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)