|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 97, where does the narrator go after he arrives home from school?
2. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
3. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
4. What type of ghost did Uncle Terry encounter?
5. In Chapter 137, why does Father apologize to the narrator on Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
2. What are three reasons why Christopher does not like brown or yellow?
3. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
4. Why does Father kill Wellington?
5. What groundbreaking information does Christopher find out in the Chapter 149, and how does he learn this information?
6. What happens to Christopher during the six days he waits to look at the letters?
7. Why does Christopher feel he cannot trust his father? How does he react towards Father after he confesses to Wellington's death?
8. How does Christopher behave while in the subway tunnel?
9. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
10. Why would Christopher not take a vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the author try to reveal Christopher's disability? What writing techniques does he use to try to convey his disability? What style techniques does he use to try to convey his disability? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme in the book with Christopher believing that his mother is dead and discovering a dead Wellington on the lawn. However, it is through Wellington's death that Christopher discovers his mother is alive. Why do you think Christopher's father told Christopher that his mother was dead? Why would he create the story about Mother dying at the hospital? Did Father's action symbolize his burying of his relationship with mother? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the book is rage. How does Christopher express his rage? How does Father express his rage? How does Mother express her rage? What similarities are there in the way the family expresses their rage? What differences are here in the way the family expresses their rage? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)