|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession does the narrator tell his readers he would be good at?
2. How does Mrs. Alexander respond when the narrator asks if Mrs. Shears killed his mother?
(a) Mrs. Alexander admits that Mrs. Shears did not kill his mother.
(b) Mrs. Shears admits that she did not know the narrator's mother.
(c) Mrs. Alexander admits that Mrs. Shears did kill his mother.
(d) Mrs. Alexander did not know the narrator's mother was dead.
3. In Chapter 79, what is Father doing when the narrator returns home?
(a) Laying on the bed taking a nap.
(b) Talking to Mrs. Shears on the telephone.
(c) Sitting on the living room sofa watching television.
(d) Sitting at the kitchen table.
4. Where does the narrator find his book?
(a) His father's room.
(b) The living room.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The dining room.
5. What is one of the reasons the narrator gives for finding people confusing?
(a) People use too many adjectives when they speak.
(b) People speak different languages.
(c) People use metaphors when they speak.
(d) People do not speak loud enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 97, where does the narrator go after he arrives home from school?
2. What is the narrator's favorite book?
3. What does the narrator say caused much of the stress in his parent's relationship?
4. In Chapter 89, why does the narrator keep his eyes closed on his way to school on the third day?
5. What was on the front cover the card the narrator sent to his mother while she was in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Christopher, what is time? What is not time?
2. What is the purpose of Chapter 181? Why does the author feel the need to include Chapter 181 in the novel?
3. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
4. Describe Christopher and Father's Saturday outing in Chapter 137.
5. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
6. What is the purpose of Chapter 199?
7. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
8. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
9. How does Christopher determine where he will go live now that he has learned that father killed Wellington? Why does he make the decision to go to London?
10. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)