|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
(a) Because you were mad.
(b) Because you were afraid of the dog.
(c) Because you want to upset Mrs. Shears.
(d) Because you hated the dog.
2. Why does the narrator say he will not bother his father after his father admits to being sad?
(a) Because the narrator's father stopped talking.
(b) Because the narrator does not have anything to say to his father.
(c) Because when the narrator's father is sad, he prefers to be left alone.
(d) Because when the narrator is sad, he prefers to be left alone.
3. What concept, which appeared in a newspaper column, does the narrator explain in Chapter 101?
(a) The Netwon James Theory.
(b) The Sean Carter Problem.
(c) The Johnson Solor System Theory.
(d) The Monty Hall Problem.
4. What type of business does Father own?
(a) A laundry business.
(b) A boiler repair business.
(c) An auto repair business.
(d) A shoe repair business.
5. What types of books does the narrator mostly read?
(a) Science and math books.
(b) Books about animals and people.
(c) Math and biology books.
(d) Books about plants and animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
2. What made the narrator think at one time that his parents were going to get a divorce?
3. What fear does the narrator overcome while trying to solve the mystery of the dog's death?
4. What does Siobhan ask the narrator about at school on Monday in Chapter 149?
5. What does the narrator say caused much of the stress in his parent's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father kill Wellington?
2. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
3. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
4. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
5. How does Christopher respond to seeing four yellow cars on his way to school?
6. Describe Christopher's feelings towards his father and how he deals with his feelings in Chapter 233?
7. Describe the series of events that led to Christopher's arrest.
8. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
9. What series of events causes Christopher and his mother to head back to Swindon?
10. How does Christopher behave while in the subway tunnel?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)