|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father make the narrator promise to give up at the end of Chapter 79?
(a) Not talking about his mother.
(b) His silly detective game.
(c) Talking to Mrs. Shears.
(d) Not talking about Mr. Shears.
2. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
(a) He drew new faces with new meanings.
(b) He threw it away.
(c) He kept it in his pocket.
(d) He gave it to a friend.
3. What does the narrator say caused much of the stress in his parent's relationship?
(a) Father's infidelity.
(b) Father's long work hours.
(c) Mother's extreme mood swings.
(d) The narrator's behavioral problems.
4. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
(a) Mrs. Alexander.
5. In Chapter 79, what is Father doing when the narrator returns home?
(a) Talking to Mrs. Shears on the telephone.
(b) Sitting on the living room sofa watching television.
(c) Sitting at the kitchen table.
(d) Laying on the bed taking a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time was it when the narrator saw the dog laying on the grass?
2. According to the narrator, what group did Sir Arthur Conan Doyle join when he got old?
3. What type of formula does the narrator write?
4. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
5. What type of business does Father own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
2. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
3. Describe the "How the Mind Works" experiment.
4. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
5. Does Christopher believe in heaven? Why or Why not? Whose opinion about heaven does he seek and what do they tell him?
6. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
7. According to Christopher, what is time? What is not time?
8. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
9. Compare Christopher's behavior in the train station in Swindon to his behavior when he first goes down into the subway tunnel.
10. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)