|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 103, where does the narrator go to watch the clouds make pictures?
(a) The fire escape.
(b) The front lawn.
(c) The garden.
(d) The roof.
2. What example does the narrator give of his father breaking the rules?
(a) His father cheats on his taxes.
(b) His father sometimes drinks and drives.
(c) His father drives over the speed limit.
(d) His father steals lawn ornaments out of the neighbors' lawns.
3. What reason does the narrator give for having a pond at school?
(a) It helps the children learn how to care for the environment.
(b) It helps the children learn about different animal life forms.
(c) It helps the children learn how to treat animals with kindness and respect.
(d) It helps children learn to swim.
4. What is the name of the dog the narrator finds lying on the grass?
5. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
(a) Waiting so long since her last letter to write him.
(b) Leaving him with his father.
(c) Not calling him.
(d) Not allowing him at the hospital during her illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say prime numbers are considered military material?
2. What type of formula does the narrator write?
3. What was on the front cover the card the narrator sent to his mother while she was in the hospital?
4. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
5. What type of ghost did Uncle Terry encounter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
2. Describe the series of events that led to Christopher's arrest.
3. Describe Christopher's favorite dream.
4. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
5. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
6. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
7. Describe Christopher's feelings towards his father and how he deals with his feelings in Chapter 233?
8. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
9. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
10. What is the purpose of Chapter 181? Why does the author feel the need to include Chapter 181 in the novel?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)