|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following it not one of the narrator's favorite animals?
(a) An orangutan.
(b) A spider monkey.
(c) An African elephant.
(d) A sea lion.
2. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
(a) Because he does not believe in the supernatural.
(b) Because he is not stupid.
(c) Because he is stupid.
(d) Because he does believe in the supernatural.
3. In Chapter 127, how does the narrator respond to his father grabbing him after Father finds what the narrator put on the kitchen table?
(a) He hits his father.
(b) He screams at his father.
(c) He storms out of the room.
(d) He starts crying.
4. What type of dog does Mrs. Alexander own?
5. How does the narrator's father describe Mr. Shears?
(a) As a nice man.
(b) As a gentle man.
(c) As an evil man.
(d) As an angry man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many attachments does the narrator's Swiss army knife have?
2. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
3. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
4. Why does the narrator say prime numbers are considered military material?
5. In Chapter 89, what Joseph Conrad book does Siobhan tell the narrator about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher behave while in the subway tunnel?
2. Describe Christopher and Father's Saturday outing in Chapter 137.
3. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
4. Describe Christopher's adventures at the police headquarters.
5. What is the purpose of Chapter 199?
6. Mother gives Christopher more insight into her relationship with Mr. Shears. How does her relationship with Mr. Shears develop?
7. Describe The Case of the Cottingley Fairies.
8. What is the significance of Christopher's dream in Chapter 229?
9. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
10. Why does Christopher not believe in the supernatural? Give one example of supernatural mysteries that he does not believe in.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)