|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator not look for his book?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The utility room.
(c) His room.
(d) The dustbin.
2. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
(a) Her reading his favorite book to him.
(b) Their holiday in Cornwall.
(c) Their time together at home.
(d) Her sickness.
3. In Chapter 97, where does the narrator go after he arrives home from school?
(a) To visit Father at work.
(b) To the local store.
(c) To Mrs. Shears' house.
(d) To visit Mrs. Alexander.
4. How does the narrator know the individual with his father is an inspector?
(a) He is wearing jeans, rather than slacks.
(b) He is not wearing a tie.
(c) He is wearing a suit, rather than a uniform.
(d) He is wearing a uniform, rather than a suit.
5. What types of books does the narrator mostly read?
(a) Books about plants and animals.
(b) Math and biology books.
(c) Science and math books.
(d) Books about animals and people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Mrs. Gascoyne initially not going to allow the narrator to take the A-level exam?
2. How does Siobhan tell the narrator to begin his book?
3. What does the narrator put on the kitchen table when he returns home in Chapter 127?
4. What was on the front cover the card the narrator sent to his mother while she was in the hospital?
5. How does Mrs. Forbes respond to the narrator's dislike of two colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
2. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
3. What is the purpose of Chapter 181? Why does the author feel the need to include Chapter 181 in the novel?
4. Describe Rhodri.
5. How does Christopher determine where he will go live now that he has learned that father killed Wellington? Why does he make the decision to go to London?
6. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
7. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
8. What happens to Christopher during the six days he waits to look at the letters?
9. Describe Christopher's feelings towards his father and how he deals with his feelings in Chapter 233?
10. Compare Christopher's behavior in the train station in Swindon to his behavior when he first goes down into the subway tunnel.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)