|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname do the three young men on the train give to the narrator?
(a) Young elf.
(b) Train rider boy.
(c) Silly boy.
(d) Train elf.
2. Why does the narrator decide he cannot live with Siobhan?
(a) Because she would get in trouble with the school.
(b) Because she lives to close to Father.
(c) Because she is not an actually friend.
(d) Because she will tell Father that he is living with her.
3. In retrospect, what does the narrator say he lied about in Chapter 13?
(a) Not telling lies.
(b) This book not being a funny book.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) Not being able to tell jokes.
4. What sound does the narrator compare the train's arrival in Chapter 227 to?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A sword fight.
(c) A bird chirping loudly.
(d) A screaming tea kettle.
5. What makes the narrator's dream in Chapter 229 special?
(a) His dream is the same as a scientist at NASA.
(b) His dream was depicted in a movie.
(c) He has the same dream every night.
(d) He has different versions of the dream.
6. How does the narrator view his father after he reveals that he killed the dog?
(a) As a protector and provider.
(b) As a liar and murder.
(c) As a lover and murder.
(d) As a fighter and liar.
7. Why does Mother lose her job?
(a) Her job found out about her son.
(b) She quit.
(c) She is taking too much time off of work.
(d) She was not completing her assignments on time.
8. Where does the narrator's mother live?
9. What happens to Toby while Christopher and Toby are in the train station?
(a) He escapes.
(c) He is left to live in the subway.
(d) He dies.
10. Approximately, how long does the narrator spend on the bench at the subway station in Chapter 227?
(a) 5 hours.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 7 hours.
(d) 3 hours.
11. What is in the Smarties box?
(b) A marker.
(c) A pencil.
12. What does the narrator sketch while on the train?
(a) Toby's picture.
(b) A map of Europe.
(c) The patterns of the upholstry and buckheads of the train.
(d) A picture of his mother and father when they were married.
13. What does the narrator use Chapter 163 to do?
(a) Explain a new theory of how people think.
(b) Explain how he learned that other people had minds.
(c) Explain how one of his classmates thinks.
(d) Explain why Mother thinks like she does.
14. Where does the narrator say Mrs. Shear's coffeemaker is from?
(b) The United States.
15. How many other things did the narrator not write down about his trip to the countryside with Mother and Father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls the narrator's name at the start of Chapter 197?
2. What were the two orangutans doing in the photograph in Chapter 223?
3. What is the gift that Father gives to the narrator at the end of the book?
4. What does the narrator eat for breakfast at his Mother's house?
5. Why did the narrator feel giddy and sick at the train station?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)