|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word orangutan mean?
(a) Swinging man.
(b) Man at work.
(c) Man of the woods.
(d) Man of the forest.
2. What term does the narrator give to the phenomenon in which eyes move from point to point without really seeing what is in between the two points?
(a) Visual Memorization.
(b) Visual Illuminations.
(c) Visual Saccades.
(d) Visual Escapes.
3. What does the stranger help the narrator do before getting on the train?
(a) Call his mother.
(b) Buy food for the train ride.
(c) Withdraw money.
(d) Buy a train ticket.
4. What term does the narrator define as "the same word for bumping off something and carrying on in almost the same direction"?
5. Why does the narrator say people believe in God?
(a) Because the world is very complicated.
(b) Because they have nothing else to do.
(c) Because they do not have anything else to believe in.
(d) Because they are trained to believe in God.
6. For what day does the narrator provide a sample timetable?
7. What does the narrator hear shortly after he wakes up in Chapter 179?
(a) Father's van starting up and leaving the house.
(b) Mrs. Shears yelling at Father.
(c) Mrs. Alexander singing loudly.
(d) Father calling his name and searching for him.
8. Who told the narrator to write descriptions?
(c) Mrs. Alexander.
9. How does the narrator feel when the dream in Chapter 229 is over?
10. Who supervises the narrator while he takes his A-level exams?
(b) Reverend Peters.
(c) Mrs. Gascoyne.
(d) Mr. Loxely.
11. Who approaches the narrator at the train station and asks his name and address?
(a) A woman dressed in mink.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A shop owner.
(d) A train conductor.
12. What does the narrator do when his father tries to make up with him in Chapter 167?
(a) Cries and covers his head with a pillow.
(b) Screams and pushes his father off the bed.
(c) Hits his father.
(d) Runs out of the room.
13. Which one of the following is not one of the three conditions the narrator names as to why life on earth occurred as the result of an accident?
14. After the six days, what does the narrator do when he returns home from school in Chapter 157?
(a) He watches one of his videos.
(b) He goes over to Mrs. Shears' house.
(c) He gets the letters from his father's room.
(d) He get his book and continues to write in it.
15. What is in the Smarties box?
(c) A marker.
(d) A pencil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 197?
2. According to the narrator, if everyone in the world was tossing coins, eventually how many heads in a row would someone get?
3. How much money did the narrator take out of the bank machine at the train station?
4. In the fourth letter, what medical procedure does mother say she had done?
5. How does the narrator figure out that he is in London?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)