|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator hide after he gets down in the subway tunnel and sees all of the people in the tube?
(a) A corner.
(b) A photo booth.
(c) A phone booth.
(d) A subway tunnel.
2. Who approaches the narrator at the train station and asks his name and address?
(a) A woman dressed in mink.
(b) A shop owner.
(c) A train conductor.
(d) A policeman.
3. Who calls the narrator's name at the start of Chapter 197?
(a) The policeman.
4. Where does the narrator's father fall asleep in Chapter 167?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In the narrator's bedroom.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In his van.
5. How does the narrator close out Chapter 167?
(a) He wakes his father up to talk about the dog's death.
(b) He wonders what he is going to do next.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He tells Mrs. Shears about the dog's death.
6. When did the narrator make timetables?
(a) When he was looking for the dog's killer.
(b) When he played with his trains.
(c) When he studied for his A-level math exam.
(d) When he was charting the number of red cars he saw on his way to school.
7. What does the narrator do when his father tries to make up with him in Chapter 167?
(a) Runs out of the room.
(b) Screams and pushes his father off the bed.
(c) Cries and covers his head with a pillow.
(d) Hits his father.
8. Why does the narrator say that half an eye is very useful?
(a) It means that an animal can only see half of an animal it wants to eat.
(b) It means that an animal can't see at all.
(c) It means that an animal will always be able to see its prey.
(d) It means that an animal will not live very long.
9. What does the narrator do when his father falls asleep in Chapter 167?
(a) Watches one of his videos.
(b) Reads more letters from his mother.
(c) Goes to Mrs. Shears' house.
(d) Sneaks out the house.
10. After the six days, what does the narrator do when he returns home from school in Chapter 157?
(a) He gets the letters from his father's room.
(b) He watches one of his videos.
(c) He goes over to Mrs. Shears' house.
(d) He get his book and continues to write in it.
11. In the first letter, what trip does the narrator's mother refer to?
(a) A trip she took with the narrator to buy him school shoes.
(b) A trip she took with Mr. Shears to dump off their old refrigerator and cooker.
(c) A trip she took with Uncle Terry to shop for new clothing.
(d) A trip she took with Father to buy furniture.
12. What are adverts?
(a) Mathematical equations.
(b) Animals that live in Malaysia.
(c) A poem that has a serious message.
(d) Pictures or television programs to make you buy things.
13. Why does the narrator decide he cannot live with Siobhan?
(a) Because she will tell Father that he is living with her.
(b) Because she would get in trouble with the school.
(c) Because she lives to close to Father.
(d) Because she is not an actually friend.
14. Who does the narrator ask to watch Toby while he goes to visit his mother?
(b) Mrs. Shears.
(c) Mrs. Alexander.
15. What term does the narrator give to the phenomenon in which eyes move from point to point without really seeing what is in between the two points?
(a) Visual Illuminations.
(b) Visual Saccades.
(c) Visual Memorization.
(d) Visual Escapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother lose her job?
2. What is the setting of Chapter 197?
3. How many sections does the A-level exams have?
4. How many cows were in the field when the narrator drove through the countryside with Mother and Father?
5. What illustration does the narrator include at the end of Chapter 223?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)