|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname do the three young men on the train give to the narrator?
(a) Train elf.
(b) Train rider boy.
(c) Silly boy.
(d) Young elf.
2. How many months did it take the narrator's hair to grow back after he fell out of the car?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Four months.
3. Why does the narrator say people believe in God?
(a) Because they have nothing else to do.
(b) Because they do not have anything else to believe in.
(c) Because they are trained to believe in God.
(d) Because the world is very complicated.
4. Where does the narrator say Mrs. Shear's coffeemaker is from?
(b) The United States.
5. When did the narrator make timetables?
(a) When he played with his trains.
(b) When he was looking for the dog's killer.
(c) When he was charting the number of red cars he saw on his way to school.
(d) When he studied for his A-level math exam.
6. Who approaches the narrator at the train station and asks his name and address?
(a) A shop owner.
(b) A woman dressed in mink.
(c) A train conductor.
(d) A policeman.
7. What sound does the narrator compare the train's arrival in Chapter 227 to?
(a) A bird chirping loudly.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A sword fight.
(d) A screaming tea kettle.
8. How does the narrator figure out that he is in London?
(a) He asks the train conductor before exiting the train.
(b) He looks at the signs in the main terminal.
(c) He asks a police officer standing on the train platform.
(d) He asks a man walking by him in the main terminal.
9. In retrospect, what does the narrator say he lied about in Chapter 13?
(a) Not telling lies.
(b) This book not being a funny book.
(c) Not being able to tell jokes.
(d) His mother's death.
10. Who does the narrator ask to watch Toby while he goes to visit his mother?
(b) Mrs. Alexander.
(c) Mrs. Shears.
11. What does the narrator do when his father tries to make up with him in Chapter 167?
(a) Runs out of the room.
(b) Cries and covers his head with a pillow.
(c) Screams and pushes his father off the bed.
(d) Hits his father.
12. How much money did the narrator take out of the bank machine at the train station?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 40 pounds.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 60 pounds.
13. Why did the narrator feel giddy and sick at the train station?
(a) He smelled the bathrooms.
(b) The station was too big.
(c) There were lots of people.
(d) He had an empty stomach.
14. What does the narrator eat for breakfast at his Mother's house?
(a) Fish and grits.
(b) Eggs and bacon.
(c) Tomatoes and green beans.
(d) Toast and sausage.
15. Where does the narrator hide as the train approaches Didcot Parkway?
(a) In a suitcase.
(b) Behind a row of luggage.
(c) In another train car.
(d) In the bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the narrator give for going to London?
2. What time does the narrator go to bed on his sample timetable?
3. Why does the narrator say you can join Orion to bits of Lepus, Taurus, or Gemini?
4. What term does the narrator define as "the same word for bumping off something and carrying on in almost the same direction"?
5. When the narrator returns to his original seat on the train, what does he find is missing?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)