|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who supervises the narrator while he takes his A-level exams?
(a) Mr. Loxely.
(b) Mrs. Gascoyne.
(c) Reverend Peters.
2. Who told the narrator to write descriptions?
(b) Mrs. Alexander.
3. What does the narrator hear shortly after he wakes up in Chapter 179?
(a) Mrs. Shears yelling at Father.
(b) Father calling his name and searching for him.
(c) Father's van starting up and leaving the house.
(d) Mrs. Alexander singing loudly.
4. Why did the narrator refuse to go to the toilet?
(a) Because he did not want to use the same toilet as all the other students.
(b) Because he did not want to take his pants down.
(c) Because his classmate went to the bathroom all over the floor.
(d) Because he thought the bathroom smelled bad.
5. How does the narrator close out Chapter 167?
(a) He tells Mrs. Shears about the dog's death.
(b) He wakes his father up to talk about the dog's death.
(c) He wonders what he is going to do next.
(d) He falls asleep.
6. What does the word orangutan mean?
(a) Man of the forest.
(b) Man at work.
(c) Swinging man.
(d) Man of the woods.
7. What makes the narrator's dream in Chapter 229 special?
(a) He has different versions of the dream.
(b) His dream is the same as a scientist at NASA.
(c) He has the same dream every night.
(d) His dream was depicted in a movie.
8. What does the narrator use Chapter 163 to do?
(a) Explain why Mother thinks like she does.
(b) Explain how one of his classmates thinks.
(c) Explain how he learned that other people had minds.
(d) Explain a new theory of how people think.
9. How much money did the narrator take out of the bank machine at the train station?
(a) 40 pounds.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 60 pounds.
10. What does the narrator do when his father tries to make up with him in Chapter 167?
(a) Cries and covers his head with a pillow.
(b) Screams and pushes his father off the bed.
(c) Hits his father.
(d) Runs out of the room.
11. What does the narrator do when he shuts his mind down?
(a) Closes his eyes and meditates.
(b) Occupies himself with mathematical equations, puzzles, or games.
(c) Eats a lot of food.
(d) Sleeps for long periods.
12. Where does the narrator hide as the train approaches Didcot Parkway?
(a) Behind a row of luggage.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In another train car.
(d) In a suitcase.
13. The narrator starts Chapter 157 with a discourse on what happened at school for what number of days?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Six days.
(d) Ten days.
14. What term does the narrator give to the phenomenon in which eyes move from point to point without really seeing what is in between the two points?
(a) Visual Saccades.
(b) Visual Illuminations.
(c) Visual Escapes.
(d) Visual Memorization.
15. Why does the narrator say people believe in God?
(a) Because they do not have anything else to believe in.
(b) Because they have nothing else to do.
(c) Because the world is very complicated.
(d) Because they are trained to believe in God.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the six days, what does the narrator do when he returns home from school in Chapter 157?
2. What is not one of the things that the narrator says he can stay home and do if he doesn't want to go anywhere?
3. According to the narrator, why does Siobhan say people go on holidays?
4. What does the narrator eat for breakfast at his Mother's house?
5. According to the narrator, why is Orion called Orion?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)