|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illustration does the narrator include in Chapter 229?
(a) A picture of his father.
(b) A picture of different facial expressions.
(c) A picture of the people he sees on the train.
(d) A picture depicting his dream.
2. Where does the narrator's mother live?
3. What is in the Smarties box?
(b) A pencil.
(c) A marker.
4. Who approaches the narrator at the train station and asks his name and address?
(a) A train conductor.
(b) A shop owner.
(c) A woman dressed in mink.
(d) A policeman.
5. How many cows were in the field when the narrator drove through the countryside with Mother and Father?
6. Who calls the narrator's name at the start of Chapter 197?
(c) The policeman.
7. What sound does the narrator compare the train's arrival in Chapter 227 to?
(a) A sword fight.
(b) A bird chirping loudly.
(c) A screaming tea kettle.
(d) A tornado.
8. Who does the narrator ask to watch Toby while he goes to visit his mother?
(a) Mrs. Alexander.
(b) Mrs. Shears.
9. What does the narrator say he can see between the roof of the shed and the big plant that hangs over the fence from the house next door?
(a) A constellation.
(b) The planet Venus.
(c) A shooting star.
(d) The moon.
10. In the fourth letter, what medical procedure does mother say she had done?
(a) Mouth wired shut.
(b) Teeth pulled.
(c) Root canal.
(d) Foot operation.
11. Why does Mother lose her job?
(a) She quit.
(b) Her job found out about her son.
(c) She is taking too much time off of work.
(d) She was not completing her assignments on time.
12. What makes the narrator's dream in Chapter 229 special?
(a) He has different versions of the dream.
(b) He has the same dream every night.
(c) His dream is the same as a scientist at NASA.
(d) His dream was depicted in a movie.
13. The narrator starts Chapter 157 with a discourse on what happened at school for what number of days?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Six days.
(d) One day.
14. What does the narrator do when he shuts his mind down?
(a) Eats a lot of food.
(b) Closes his eyes and meditates.
(c) Occupies himself with mathematical equations, puzzles, or games.
(d) Sleeps for long periods.
15. In the narrator's dream in Chapter 229, what would not matter if he took someone's car and drove away?
(a) If he broke into the car.
(b) If he drove off of the earth.
(c) If he bumped into things and drove to the sea.
(d) If he stole the radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide he cannot live with Siobhan?
2. Who was the narrator's first main teacher at school?
3. What happens when the narrator goes to Mrs. Shears' house?
4. Where does the narrator's father fall asleep in Chapter 167?
5. Why did the narrator feel giddy and sick at the train station?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)