|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the dog the narrator finds lying on the grass?
2. What is the narrator's pet rat's name?
3. What does the narrator say caused much of the stress in his parent's relationship?
(a) Father's long work hours.
(b) Mother's extreme mood swings.
(c) Father's infidelity.
(d) The narrator's behavioral problems.
4. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
(d) Mrs. Alexander.
5. What words describe the demeanor of the narrator's father on the ride home from the police headquarters?
(a) Withdrawn and silent.
(b) Excited and talkative.
(c) Silent and passive.
(d) Engaged and captivated.
6. What does Mrs. Alexander reveal to the narrator about Mr. Shears?
(a) Mr. Shears married his mistress.
(b) Mr. Shears killed the dog.
(c) Mr. Shears was having an affair with the narrator's mother.
(d) Mr. Shears died two years ago.
7. What was on the front cover the card the narrator sent to his mother while she was in the hospital?
(a) Pictures of cars.
(b) Pictures of birds.
(c) Pictures of flowers.
(d) Pictures of shoes.
8. How does Siobhan tell the narrator to begin his book?
(a) With a mysterious character.
(b) With something to grab people's attention.
(c) With a quote from a famous philosopher.
(d) With a picture of his main character.
9. Why was Mrs. Gascoyne initially not going to allow the narrator to take the A-level exam?
(a) They did not have the resources to proctor an A-level exam.
(b) His teacher did not think he was prepared.
(c) The school did not offer the test.
(d) Father did not want the narrator to take the exam.
10. In Chapter 103, where does the narrator go to watch the clouds make pictures?
(a) The garden.
(b) The front lawn.
(c) The roof.
(d) The fire escape.
11. Why does the narrator say he will not bother his father after his father admits to being sad?
(a) Because the narrator's father stopped talking.
(b) Because the narrator does not have anything to say to his father.
(c) Because when the narrator is sad, he prefers to be left alone.
(d) Because when the narrator's father is sad, he prefers to be left alone.
12. What type of ghost did Uncle Terry encounter?
(a) The ghost of an old pirate.
(b) The ghost of a Catholic priest
(c) The ghost of a Franciscan friar.
(d) The ghost of a young English woman.
13. How long ago does the narrator say his mother died?
(a) 1 year ago.
(b) 2 years ago.
(c) 4 years ago.
(d) 3 years ago.
14. What does Siobhan ask the narrator about at school on Monday in Chapter 149?
(a) His A-level math test.
(b) The narrator's book.
(c) The bruises on his face.
(d) The information Mrs. Alexander gave him.
15. In Chapter 97, where does the narrator go after he arrives home from school?
(a) To visit Mrs. Alexander.
(b) To visit Father at work.
(c) To the local store.
(d) To Mrs. Shears' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 137, why does Father apologize to the narrator on Saturday?
2. What profession does the narrator tell his readers he would be good at?
3. What term does the narrator use to describe the students at his school?
4. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
5. What is the name of the man who works for Father and greets the narrator at the start of Chapter 103?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)