|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time was it when the narrator saw the dog laying on the grass?
(a) 11:55 a.m.
(b) 12:07 a.m.
(c) 9:10 a.m.
(d) 10:03 p.m.
2. Why is the narrator's father frustrated by the time they reach home from the police headquarters?
(a) Because the narrator will not admit why he was arrested.
(b) Because the narrator will not answer Father's questions about the dog's death.
(c) Because the neighbors are asking them questions when they reach their home.
(d) Because the narrator keeps asking questions about the dog's death.
3. In Chapter 103, where does the narrator go to watch the clouds make pictures?
(a) The front lawn.
(b) The fire escape.
(c) The roof.
(d) The garden.
4. In reflection, what does the narrator recall about his mother's temper?
(a) His mother used to fight with his father a lot.
(b) His mother was very kind and gentle.
(c) His mother has a quicker temper than Father.
(d) His mother always left the house when she was in a rage.
5. What does Father make the narrator promise to give up at the end of Chapter 79?
(a) Talking to Mrs. Shears.
(b) Not talking about his mother.
(c) Not talking about Mr. Shears.
(d) His silly detective game.
6. In Chapter 109, what does the narrator spend the afternoon doing?
(a) Reading his favorite book.
(b) Painting pictures of aliens.
(c) Detective work.
7. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
(a) Her sickness.
(b) Their time together at home.
(c) Her reading his favorite book to him.
(d) Their holiday in Cornwall.
8. Why do the police arrest the narrator?
(a) For killing the dog.
(b) For assulting a police officer.
(c) For breaking into his neighbor's house.
(d) For stealing his neighbor's plants out of her front yard.
9. What did Father take to the hospital when he went to visit Mother?
(a) Food from Marks and Spencer's.
(b) Books from Barnes and Noble.
(c) Flowers from Spencer's.
(d) Shoes from Han Coles.
10. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
(a) He drew new faces with new meanings.
(b) He kept it in his pocket.
(c) He threw it away.
(d) He gave it to a friend.
11. In Chapter 137, why does Father apologize to the narrator on Saturday?
(a) For not taking the narrator to get lunch.
(b) For getting angry.
(c) For not taking the narrator on their outing the previous Saturday.
(d) For not telling the narrator about Mr. Shears.
12. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
(a) Not calling him.
(b) Waiting so long since her last letter to write him.
(c) Not allowing him at the hospital during her illness.
(d) Leaving him with his father.
13. In Chapter 127, how does the narrator respond to his father grabbing him after Father finds what the narrator put on the kitchen table?
(a) He storms out of the room.
(b) He screams at his father.
(c) He starts crying.
(d) He hits his father.
14. What was on the front cover the card the narrator sent to his mother while she was in the hospital?
(a) Pictures of birds.
(b) Pictures of cars.
(c) Pictures of flowers.
(d) Pictures of shoes.
15. What does Mrs. Alexander reveal to the narrator about Mr. Shears?
(a) Mr. Shears married his mistress.
(b) Mr. Shears killed the dog.
(c) Mr. Shears died two years ago.
(d) Mr. Shears was having an affair with the narrator's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what group did Sir Arthur Conan Doyle join when he got old?
2. How does the narrator know the individual with his father is an inspector?
3. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
4. What term does the narrator use to describe the students at his school?
5. What drawing is the narrator carrying with him at the police headquarters?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)