|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of business does Father own?
(a) An auto repair business.
(b) A boiler repair business.
(c) A laundry business.
(d) A shoe repair business.
2. What is the name of the man who works for Father and greets the narrator at the start of Chapter 103?
3. Why does the narrator like Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Because he is not stupid.
(b) Because he does believe in the supernatural.
(c) Because he is stupid.
(d) Because he does not believe in the supernatural.
4. In Chapter 97, where does the narrator go after he arrives home from school?
(a) To visit Father at work.
(b) To Mrs. Shears' house.
(c) To the local store.
(d) To visit Mrs. Alexander.
5. Why does the narrator want to get his book back from Father?
(a) He wants to ask Mrs. Alexander more questions.
(b) He wants to show it to more people.
(c) He liked writing it.
(d) He wants to finish it.
6. How does the narrator's father describe Mr. Shears?
(a) As a gentle man.
(b) As a nice man.
(c) As an angry man.
(d) As an evil man.
7. Which one of the following it not one of the narrator's favorite animals?
(a) A sea lion.
(b) An orangutan.
(c) A spider monkey.
(d) An African elephant.
8. What is the narrator's favorite book?
(a) Hounds of the Baskervilles.
(b) A Case of Identity.
(c) The Man with the Twisted Lip.
(d) The Five Orange Pips.
9. What type of video does the narrator watch while waiting for his father to get home?
(a) A video about the life of seagulls.
(b) A video about the reproduction of mammals.
(c) A video about the evolution of man.
(d) A video about life in the deepest parts of the ocean.
10. What type of ghost did Uncle Terry encounter?
(a) The ghost of a Catholic priest
(b) The ghost of a Franciscan friar.
(c) The ghost of a young English woman.
(d) The ghost of an old pirate.
11. How many red cars does Christopher's bus consecutively pass on his way to school?
12. In Chapter 137, why does Father apologize to the narrator on Saturday?
(a) For not taking the narrator to get lunch.
(b) For not telling the narrator about Mr. Shears.
(c) For getting angry.
(d) For not taking the narrator on their outing the previous Saturday.
13. What does the narrator compare his memory to?
14. What does the narrator put on the kitchen table when he returns home in Chapter 127?
(a) His novel.
(b) His A-level test.
(c) His favorite book.
(d) His homework.
15. According to the narrator, what four moods does the dog have?
(a) Sad, mad, concetrating, and envy.
(b) Cross, concentrating, caring, and happy.
(c) Happy, sad, cross, and concentrating.
(d) Mad, sad, happy, and cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide to investigate the death of the dog despite his father's admonishments?
2. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
3. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
4. Where does the narrator not look for his book?
5. Why was Mrs. Gascoyne initially not going to allow the narrator to take the A-level exam?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)