|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 127, how does the narrator respond to his father grabbing him after Father finds what the narrator put on the kitchen table?
(a) He starts crying.
(b) He screams at his father.
(c) He storms out of the room.
(d) He hits his father.
2. For how long was the narrator hugging the dog when he heard screaming?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 2 minutes.
(c) 8 minutes.
(d) 4 minutes.
3. What fear does the narrator overcome while trying to solve the mystery of the dog's death?
(a) Talking to strangers.
(b) Not being with his father.
(c) Being in unfamiliar places.
(d) Being alone.
4. In Chapter 89, what Joseph Conrad book does Siobhan tell the narrator about?
(a) Cave of Darkness.
(b) Tales of Darkness.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) Dark Heart.
5. What did Father tell the narrator his mother died of?
(a) An aneurysm.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) An asthma attack.
(d) Breast cancer.
6. What is the narrator's pet rat's name?
7. In Chapter 103, where does the narrator go to watch the clouds make pictures?
(a) The fire escape.
(b) The front lawn.
(c) The roof.
(d) The garden.
8. What is the setting of Chapter 109?
(a) Father's office.
(b) The narrator's home.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The narrator's school.
9. How does Mrs. Forbes respond to the narrator's dislike of two colors?
(a) She said that everyone has a favorite color.
(b) She said it's just being silly.
(c) She said it's just plain awful.
(d) She said that it's tacky.
10. Where does the narrator not look for his book?
(a) His room.
(b) The utility room.
(c) The dustbin.
(d) The kitchen.
11. In reflection, what does the narrator recall about his mother's temper?
(a) His mother has a quicker temper than Father.
(b) His mother was very kind and gentle.
(c) His mother used to fight with his father a lot.
(d) His mother always left the house when she was in a rage.
12. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
(a) Because you were mad.
(b) Because you were afraid of the dog.
(c) Because you hated the dog.
(d) Because you want to upset Mrs. Shears.
13. What types of books does the narrator mostly read?
(a) Books about plants and animals.
(b) Science and math books.
(c) Books about animals and people.
(d) Math and biology books.
14. Where does the narrator find his book?
(a) The living room.
(b) The dining room.
(c) His father's room.
(d) The bathroom.
15. What does the narrator put on the kitchen table when he returns home in Chapter 127?
(a) His A-level test.
(b) His favorite book.
(c) His homework.
(d) His novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Father take to the hospital when he went to visit Mother?
2. Why is the narrator's father frustrated by the time they reach home from the police headquarters?
3. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
4. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
5. Why do the police arrest the narrator?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)