|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time was it when the narrator saw the dog laying on the grass?
(a) 10:03 p.m.
(b) 11:55 a.m.
(c) 12:07 a.m.
(d) 9:10 a.m.
2. Which of the following is not one of the three reasons the narrator deduces for killing a dog?
(a) Because you were afraid of the dog.
(b) Because you hated the dog.
(c) Because you were mad.
(d) Because you want to upset Mrs. Shears.
3. Why does the narrator decide to investigate the death of the dog despite his father's admonishments?
(a) Because he thinks Mrs. Shears killed the dog.
(b) Because he thinks the police will not investigate the dog's murder.
(c) Because he thinks he'll get bored when he gets home.
(d) Because he does not always do what he is told.
4. In Chapter 89, what Joseph Conrad book does Siobhan tell the narrator about?
(a) Heart of Darkness.
(b) Tales of Darkness.
(c) Cave of Darkness.
(d) Dark Heart.
5. What type of dog does Mrs. Alexander own?
6. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
(a) Her sickness.
(b) Her reading his favorite book to him.
(c) Their holiday in Cornwall.
(d) Their time together at home.
7. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
(a) Because he is not stupid.
(b) Because he does not believe in the supernatural.
(c) Because he is stupid.
(d) Because he does believe in the supernatural.
8. What type of formula does the narrator write?
(a) A formula for a population of students.
(b) A formula for a population of animals.
(c) A formula for a population of schools.
(d) A fromula for a population of teachers.
9. What did Father take to the hospital when he went to visit Mother?
(a) Flowers from Spencer's.
(b) Books from Barnes and Noble.
(c) Food from Marks and Spencer's.
(d) Shoes from Han Coles.
10. What is the name of Mrs. Alexander's dog?
11. What is the name of the man who works for Father and greets the narrator at the start of Chapter 103?
12. In reflection, what does the narrator recall about his mother's temper?
(a) His mother used to fight with his father a lot.
(b) His mother was very kind and gentle.
(c) His mother always left the house when she was in a rage.
(d) His mother has a quicker temper than Father.
13. How does Mrs. Alexander respond when the narrator asks if Mrs. Shears killed his mother?
(a) Mrs. Alexander did not know the narrator's mother was dead.
(b) Mrs. Shears admits that she did not know the narrator's mother.
(c) Mrs. Alexander admits that Mrs. Shears did kill his mother.
(d) Mrs. Alexander admits that Mrs. Shears did not kill his mother.
14. What does Father make the narrator promise to give up at the end of Chapter 79?
(a) Not talking about his mother.
(b) Talking to Mrs. Shears.
(c) Not talking about Mr. Shears.
(d) His silly detective game.
15. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
(a) He kept it in his pocket.
(b) He drew new faces with new meanings.
(c) He gave it to a friend.
(d) He threw it away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
2. Why does the narrator say he uses prime numbers?
3. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
4. Why is the narrator's father frustrated by the time they reach home from the police headquarters?
5. What emotion was expressed in the first face picture that Siobhan shared with the narrator?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)