|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the letter that the narrator finds at the bottom of the cupboard?
(a) His mother.
(b) Mr. Loxely.
(c) Mrs. Shears.
2. Why does the narrator decide to investigate the death of the dog despite his father's admonishments?
(a) Because he thinks Mrs. Shears killed the dog.
(b) Because he thinks the police will not investigate the dog's murder.
(c) Because he does not always do what he is told.
(d) Because he thinks he'll get bored when he gets home.
3. What was the breed of the dog the narrator found on the grass?
4. What is the narrator's pet rat's name?
5. What mystery does the narrator say scientists will solve someday?
(a) The mystery of death.
(b) The mystery of electricity.
(c) The mystery of ghosts.
(d) The mystery of lightning
6. How does Siobhan tell the narrator to begin his book?
(a) With a quote from a famous philosopher.
(b) With a mysterious character.
(c) With a picture of his main character.
(d) With something to grab people's attention.
7. What types of books does the narrator mostly read?
(a) Books about animals and people.
(b) Math and biology books.
(c) Books about plants and animals.
(d) Science and math books.
8. How does Mrs. Alexander respond when the narrator asks if Mrs. Shears killed his mother?
(a) Mrs. Alexander did not know the narrator's mother was dead.
(b) Mrs. Alexander admits that Mrs. Shears did not kill his mother.
(c) Mrs. Shears admits that she did not know the narrator's mother.
(d) Mrs. Alexander admits that Mrs. Shears did kill his mother.
9. In Chapter 89, what Joseph Conrad book does Siobhan tell the narrator about?
(a) Tales of Darkness.
(b) Dark Heart.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) Cave of Darkness.
10. What term does the narrator use to describe the students at his school?
(a) Special needs.
11. Why does the narrator want to get his book back from Father?
(a) He liked writing it.
(b) He wants to ask Mrs. Alexander more questions.
(c) He wants to finish it.
(d) He wants to show it to more people.
12. Which one of the following it not one of the narrator's favorite animals?
(a) An African elephant.
(b) An orangutan.
(c) A spider monkey.
(d) A sea lion.
13. Why does the narrator not like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
(a) Because he does not believe in the supernatural.
(b) Because he does believe in the supernatural.
(c) Because he is stupid.
(d) Because he is not stupid.
14. What information does the narrator include on the graph in Chapter 151?
(a) How many animal life forms live in the pond.
(b) How many children are in the school, by year.
(c) How many frogs there were in the pond, by year.
(d) How many children learned to swim, by year.
15. How long ago does the narrator say his mother died?
(a) 1 year ago.
(b) 2 years ago.
(c) 4 years ago.
(d) 3 years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words describe the demeanor of the narrator's father on the ride home from the police headquarters?
2. What type of dog does Mrs. Alexander own?
3. In Chapter 127, how does the narrator respond to his father grabbing him after Father finds what the narrator put on the kitchen table?
4. In Chapter 103, where does the narrator go to watch the clouds make pictures?
5. In Chapter 79, what is Father doing when the narrator returns home?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)