|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator's father describe Mr. Shears?
(a) As an angry man.
(b) As an evil man.
(c) As a gentle man.
(d) As a nice man.
2. Where does the narrator not look for his book?
(a) His room.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The utility room.
(d) The dustbin.
3. Why doesn't the narrator think he could make his story into a short novel?
(a) Because it does not have a proper ending.
(b) Because he wants to write a longer novel.
(c) Because it is too short to be a short novel.
(d) Because he does not think it would make a good short story.
4. According to the narrator, what group did Sir Arthur Conan Doyle join when he got old?
(a) The Non-Believers' Society.
(b) The Mystery Society.
(c) The Unknown Society.
(d) The Spiritualist Society.
5. What was on the front cover the card the narrator sent to his mother while she was in the hospital?
(a) Pictures of birds.
(b) Pictures of cars.
(c) Pictures of flowers.
(d) Pictures of shoes.
6. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
(d) Mrs. Alexander.
7. How does the narrator know the individual with his father is an inspector?
(a) He is wearing a uniform, rather than a suit.
(b) He is wearing a suit, rather than a uniform.
(c) He is not wearing a tie.
(d) He is wearing jeans, rather than slacks.
8. When the narrator sees four yellow cars in a row, what type of day does that signal for him?
(a) A green day.
(b) A bad day.
(c) A good day.
(d) A black day.
9. In Chapter 127, how does the narrator respond to his father grabbing him after Father finds what the narrator put on the kitchen table?
(a) He screams at his father.
(b) He storms out of the room.
(c) He starts crying.
(d) He hits his father.
10. The type of day the narrator has depends on the number of cars he passes on the way to school. What are the two types of days that he has?
(a) Good days and black days.
(b) Brown days and super good days.
(c) Green days and black days.
(d) Quite good days and bad days.
11. Why does the narrator decide to investigate the death of the dog despite his father's admonishments?
(a) Because he thinks he'll get bored when he gets home.
(b) Because he thinks the police will not investigate the dog's murder.
(c) Because he thinks Mrs. Shears killed the dog.
(d) Because he does not always do what he is told.
12. What was the breed of the dog the narrator found on the grass?
13. How does Siobhan tell the narrator to begin his book?
(a) With a mysterious character.
(b) With a quote from a famous philosopher.
(c) With a picture of his main character.
(d) With something to grab people's attention.
14. What memory of his mother does the narrator recall in Chapter 113?
(a) Her reading his favorite book to him.
(b) Their time together at home.
(c) Her sickness.
(d) Their holiday in Cornwall.
15. What is the setting of Chapter 109?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The narrator's home.
(c) Father's office.
(d) The narrator's school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of ghost did Uncle Terry encounter?
2. Who wrote the letter that the narrator finds at the bottom of the cupboard?
3. What is the narrator's pet rat's name?
4. Why does the narrator say he will not bother his father after his father admits to being sad?
5. According to the narrator, what four moods does the dog have?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)