|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father decide to do on Saturday instead of taking the narrator on a weekly trip?
(a) Go over Mrs. Shears house.
(b) Clean the house.
(c) Watch a soccer match.
(d) Take a nap.
2. How does Mrs. Forbes respond to the narrator's dislike of two colors?
(a) She said it's just plain awful.
(b) She said it's just being silly.
(c) She said that it's tacky.
(d) She said that everyone has a favorite color.
3. Why does the narrator decide to investigate the death of the dog despite his father's admonishments?
(a) Because he thinks Mrs. Shears killed the dog.
(b) Because he thinks he'll get bored when he gets home.
(c) Because he does not always do what he is told.
(d) Because he thinks the police will not investigate the dog's murder.
4. Why was Mrs. Gascoyne initially not going to allow the narrator to take the A-level exam?
(a) The school did not offer the test.
(b) Father did not want the narrator to take the exam.
(c) His teacher did not think he was prepared.
(d) They did not have the resources to proctor an A-level exam.
5. In Chapter 127, how does the narrator respond to his father grabbing him after Father finds what the narrator put on the kitchen table?
(a) He screams at his father.
(b) He starts crying.
(c) He hits his father.
(d) He storms out of the room.
6. What is the narrator's pet rat's name?
7. What is the name of the dog the narrator finds lying on the grass?
8. At the end of Chapter 67, who does the narrator think killed the dog?
(a) Mr. Shears.
(b) Mrs. Alexander.
(c) Mrs. Shears.
9. What does the narrator's mother apologize for in Chapter 149?
(a) Not allowing him at the hospital during her illness.
(b) Waiting so long since her last letter to write him.
(c) Not calling him.
(d) Leaving him with his father.
10. In Chapter 109, who tells the narrator, "...sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."
(b) Mrs. Alexander.
11. What colors does the narrator say he does not like?
(a) Brown and yellow.
(b) Brown and green.
(c) Red and yellow.
(d) Red and green.
12. What mystery does the narrator say scientists will solve someday?
(a) The mystery of electricity.
(b) The mystery of lightning
(c) The mystery of death.
(d) The mystery of ghosts.
13. What did the narrator do with the piece of paper on which Siobhan drew lots of faces and wrote descriptions of exactly what each meant?
(a) He gave it to a friend.
(b) He kept it in his pocket.
(c) He threw it away.
(d) He drew new faces with new meanings.
14. What information does the narrator include on the graph in Chapter 151?
(a) How many children learned to swim, by year.
(b) How many frogs there were in the pond, by year.
(c) How many children are in the school, by year.
(d) How many animal life forms live in the pond.
15. Why does the narrator like Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Because he is stupid.
(b) Because he does believe in the supernatural.
(c) Because he is not stupid.
(d) Because he does not believe in the supernatural.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator put on the kitchen table when he returns home in Chapter 127?
2. What is the name of the man who works for Father and greets the narrator at the start of Chapter 103?
3. How does Mrs. Alexander respond when the narrator asks if Mrs. Shears killed his mother?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Alexander's dog?
5. What does Mrs. Alexander reveal to the narrator about Mr. Shears?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)