|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Strike say had mentioned that there had been a bit of trouble around the Oates estate in Part 3, Chapter 5?
2. On what street does Marlene Higson say Lula's father lived when she had an affair with him?
3. What does John Bristow give to Strike before departing into his office building in Part 3, Chapter 6?
4. What is the name of the drug dealer Duffield supposedly went to see on the night of Lula's death?
5. What is Spanner doing when Strike enters his office in Part 4, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Robin's feelings about Strike as revealed in the narrative in Part 3, Chapter 10?
2. What information does Strike learn from Lechinska in Part 4, Chapter 3?
3. How does Guy Some describe Lula's home at Kentigern Gardens? Why does he say she moved there?
4. Why did Tansy Bestigui lie about where she was when Lula fell?
5. What is Strike's relationship to his sister Lucy like?
6. What was Strike's relationship with his mother like? How did Strike's mother die?
7. How does Robin glean information from the staff at Vashti? What new information does she learn?
8. Who has been sending Strike death threats? Why?
9. Who is Spanner and why does Strike meet with him in Part 3, Chapter 7?
10. What is noted about the body of the deceased in Lula's autopsy file?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Strike and Charlotte in the novel. For how long have Charlotte and Strike been together when their relationship ends? Why does the relationship end? What does Strike later learn about Charlotte?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of family, deception, and pop culture in The Cuckoo's Calling. How does the author develop these themes through character in the novel? What symbolism relates to these themes? What statements do you think the author is making through these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the threatening letters that Strike receives throughout the novel? From whom are the letters sent? How does Strike respond to the letters when they arrive? Why?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)