|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Tashi delek" mean?
2. When Messner finally reached the summit, how did he feel?
3. Who did Messner send from the base camp to order a jeep for his travel westward in the Rongbuk chapter?
4. When Messner and Nena were reunited on the glacier, what was Messner's reaction?
5. In what city did the authorities have a celebratory reception for Messner and his team?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Tibetan chapter, what three topics did the interpreter assigned to Messner and Nena continually ask about?
2. How did Messner react in the Chomolungma chapter when he escaped the crevasse alive?
3. As Messner began his ascent of Mount Everest in the Chomolungma chapter, suddenly reaching the summit was not important to him. Explain why reaching the summit lost its importance.
4. According to Messner in the Chomolungma chapter, why would an attempt to preplan his solo climb be madness?
5. According to Nena in the Tibet chapter, why would Messner's solo ascent be lessened if he took a walkie-talkie with him?
6. Why were Nena and Messner surprised when they reached their small intermediate camp in the Chomolungma chapter?
7. As Messner studied the North Col, what did he hope would hold true based on the sixteen year weather cycle?
8. Why is the summer monsoon of extraordinary importance for the people of India and Nepal?
9. In the Tibet chapter, what was Nena's egotistical reason for not wanting Messner to take the walkie-talkie with him for his summit attempt?
10. According to the North Col chapter, what was Messner's strongest experience when climbing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Messner believed that true mountaineering meant playing "fair" and not using technological aids.
a. Explain Messner's reasoning behind why using technological aids was akin to cheating.
b. Identify the technological aids Messner did and did not use during his solo ascent of Mount Everest.
c. Did Messner's use of two technological aids make his ascent to the summit of Mount Everest any less impressive?
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Messner had been greatly affected by the disappearance of George Mallory years earlier as Mallory attempted to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Discuss how Mallory's disappearance affected not only Messner's worldview but also his decisions as he attempted his solo climb of Everest. How did Mallory affect Messner's mental state, his ability to persevere, and his ability to climb?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in this book involved conquering fear.
a. Identify three individuals that had to overcome their fears.
b. What were each of these individuals afraid of, and was there any true basis for their fears?
c. What was the outcome for these individuals? Were they successful in overcoming their fears?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)