|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut at the beginning of Messner's book, how long did they have to reach Syangpoche?
2. Who was the first person to ever want to scale Mount Everest alone?
3. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche, where did the climbing team decide to walk to in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
4. What was the name of the journalist that had been living in Kathmandu for over twenty years and knew practically everything about the region?
5. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Kanchung chapter, how did Messner characterize his homeland of South Tyrol?
2. According to the Kanchung chapter, the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone was not a mountaineer. Why did this person believe he could scale Everest with no experience?
3. As the book opens, Messner reflects on his first ascent of Everest. What did the mountain mean to Messner?
4. As the book opens, what reason did Mallory give when asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest a second time?
5. What made Messner's ascent of the Abruzzi Ridge different from that of previous mountaineers?
6. Because it lies so far above sea level, what is Tibet known as?
7. When the climbing team reached Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, they were unsuccessful in completing their task. What was their task and why were they unsuccessful?
8. According to Messner in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why was Oelz depressed as the team packed for their trip to Syangpoche?
9. How did Messner describe the region of Solo Khumba in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
10. How did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone first learn about Mount Everest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this book centered on taking risks in order to reach full potential.
a. Identify three individuals that strove to reach their full potential and describe how their actions indicated that they were doing their best.
b. Why did these individuals strive to reach their full potential?
c. What was the outcome for these individuals? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been happier if they had been "ordinary"?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there were several situations where Messner almost lost his life. Identify at least three instances where Messner's life was in danger and detail how he escaped from death. What lessons had Messner learned from his previous mountaineering experience combined with the experience of those mountaineers that had gone before him that allowed Messner to survive?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Nena Holguin changed as Messner's book unfolded. Be sure to include your assessment of Nena when she first met Reinhold Messner, when she agreed to accompany him to Tibet, while she was waiting at the base camp for Messner to return, and when the book ended.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)