|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
2. Who was the first person to ever want to scale Mount Everest alone?
3. When the CMA granted Messner a permit in the Kanchung chapter, approximately how much did Messner believe the expedition would cost?
4. In what year did the People's Republic of China invade Tibet and end the Dalai Lama's rule?
5. What technical aid did Messner consent to use during his climbs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Captain Finch originally test his bold plan back in England?
2. What unusual item was a standard item placed in the rooms by the hotel in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
3. In 1922 and 1924, the British set up their base camp in the shelter of a moraine under the end of the Rongbuk Glacier. Why was this spot considered ideal?
4. Upon reading the article in the "Peking Review" in the Kanchung chapter, what became immediately clear to Messner?
5. As Bulle returned to his "real" life in the Kanchung chapter, he threw himself into his job. What was Bulle's primary motivation for taking up his work with such enthusiasm?
6. What was the bold plan for the second expedition to Everest that Captain Finch came up with?
7. In the Kanchung chapter, how did Messner characterize his homeland of South Tyrol?
8. What did the British recognize as too difficult a route in the 1920s and 1930s that is still not climbed to this day?
9. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why did no one understand the local people better than the leader of the second British expedition to Mount Everest in 1922?
10. In the Kanchung chapter, what did the article Messner read in the "Peking Review" state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chinese government used many different tactics to not only take over but also to rule Tibet and keep the Tibetan people in line.
a. Identify three tactics used by the Chinese government to rule Tibet and keep the people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why the government used this method of control.
c. Compare these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
Essay Topic 2
Messner believed that true mountaineering meant playing "fair" and not using technological aids.
a. Explain Messner's reasoning behind why using technological aids was akin to cheating.
b. Identify the technological aids Messner did and did not use during his solo ascent of Mount Everest.
c. Did Messner's use of two technological aids make his ascent to the summit of Mount Everest any less impressive?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Reinhold Messner and George Mallory.
a. How were these two men similar? How were they different?
b. Compare the role that mountaineering played in each of their lives. How was each person affected by mountaineering, both positively and negatively?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)