|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Kanchung chapter as Messner and Bulle returned to Europe, how did Messner characterize the way Bulle was feeling?
2. How many prefectures is Tibet divided into?
3. Which two climbers were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
4. According to what Messner learned from his journalist friend in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, who received permission for a solo assent of Everest during the winter of 1980-81?
5. What technical aid did Messner consent to use during his climbs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual item was a standard item placed in the rooms by the hotel in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
2. When the climbing team reached Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, they were unsuccessful in completing their task. What was their task and why were they unsuccessful?
3. What made Messner's ascent of the Abruzzi Ridge different from that of previous mountaineers?
4. Upon reading the article in the "Peking Review" in the Kanchung chapter, what became immediately clear to Messner?
5. According to the Kanchung chapter, the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone was not a mountaineer. Why did this person believe he could scale Everest with no experience?
6. As the book opens, what reason did Mallory give when asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest a second time?
7. What was the bold plan for the second expedition to Everest that Captain Finch came up with?
8. When Messner referred to "fair means" in climbing in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what was he referring to?
9. In the Kanchung chapter, how did Messner characterize his homeland of South Tyrol?
10. What was the most interesting part of the lecture tour schedule for Messner in the Kanchung chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Messner believed that true mountaineering meant playing "fair" and not using technological aids.
a. Explain Messner's reasoning behind why using technological aids was akin to cheating.
b. Identify the technological aids Messner did and did not use during his solo ascent of Mount Everest.
c. Did Messner's use of two technological aids make his ascent to the summit of Mount Everest any less impressive?
Essay Topic 2
There were several people discussed in the book who did not survive their encounter with Mount Everest. Identify at least three people who were killed on the mountain. Compare each of these deaths, being sure to indicate who died, how the person died, and what impact on Messner this person's death had. What did Messner learn from each of these other climbers?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Nena Holguin changed as Messner's book unfolded. Be sure to include your assessment of Nena when she first met Reinhold Messner, when she agreed to accompany him to Tibet, while she was waiting at the base camp for Messner to return, and when the book ended.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)