|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Messner and Nena decided to leave their base camp and travel throughout the region because the weather on Everest was terrible in the Tibet chapter, where did they head to?
(a) Nangpa La.
(b) Cho Oyu.
(d) Ama Dablam.
2. According to the Chomolungma chapter, how far of a hike was it from the standing camp and the high camp?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Eight hours.
3. What item was found in 1933 below the North-East Ridge that led people to speculate that Mallory and Irvine were actually successful in reaching the summit before losing their lives?
(a) An ice axe.
(b) A helmet.
(c) A map.
(d) An oxygen tank.
4. When Messner got the idea to leave base camp and travel westward in the Rongbuk chapter, where did Messner want to go?
(a) To Kathmandu.
(b) To Tulshing Rimpoche.
(c) To Shisha Pangma.
(d) To Bengal Bay.
5. According to the Chomolungma chapter, what did Messner use when climbing to aid his balance?
(a) Walking sticks.
(b) Ski sticks.
(c) Pool cues.
(d) Tree branches.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day did the Chinese expedition's assault team finally reach the summit of Mount Everest in 1975?
2. What mountain's name means "Ridge above the Meadows"?
3. As Messner headed out from the tent on August 20, what did he carry with him?
4. As Messner passed 8000 meters, how many paces was he taking between rest breaks?
5. On what day did Messner leave Nena behind at the base camp and begin his ascent of Mount Everest?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Messner packed for his ascent of Mount Everest in the Chomolungma chapter, he shared his motto regarding packing. What was Messner's motto?
2. According to the North Col chapter, what was Messner's strongest experience when climbing?
3. In the Tibet chapter, what was Nena's egotistical reason for not wanting Messner to take the walkie-talkie with him for his summit attempt?
4. While trapped in the crevasse in the Chomolungma chapter, what promise did Messner make?
5. When climbing in the Chomolungma chapter, what function did the rest pause serve for Messner?
6. According to Messner in the Chomolungma chapter, it would be impossible to reach the summit of Mount Everest without doing what first?
7. What was the reaction of the world when the Chinese government announced that a Chinese expedition had successfully reached the summit of Mount Everest in 1960?
8. Why were women included on the 1975 Chinese expedition team?
9. As Nena and Messner camped for the night at the Rongbuk river just at the edge of a village while waiting for the water to go down enough to safely cross the river in the Rongbuk chapter, what did Nena write that her big mistake of the night was?
10. In the Tibetan chapter, how did Messner describe the province of Szechuan?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)