|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Messner headed out from the tent on August 20, what did he carry with him?
(a) His camera.
(b) His tent.
(c) His rucksack.
(d) His ski sticks.
2. As alluded to in the North Col chapter, as Messner and Nena approached the North Col, what alarmed Messner the most?
(a) The number of avalanches.
(b) The history of failure.
(c) The severe temperatures.
(d) The approaching monsoons.
3. As alluded to in the North Col chapter, at what altitude did Messner and Nena plan to set up their midway camp?
(a) 6,750 meters.
(b) 6,000 meters.
(c) 6,250 meters.
(d) 7,000 meters.
4. When did the Dalai Lama flee from Tibet?
(a) March 1958.
(b) March 1960.
(c) March 1959.
(d) March 1961.
5. When Messner finally reached the summit, how did he feel?
(c) Completely empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In celebration of his 36th birthday, what mountain did Messner receive a permit to climb solo?
2. When Messner and his team finally set off on July 13 from the base camp, how many yaks were carrying Messner's supplies?
3. When Messner falls through a crevasse in the Chomolungma chapter, how far down does he fall?
4. After erecting his tent on the second day, how many pictures did Messner take before abandoning photography and climbing into his tent?
5. How high was Messner when he finally found a suitable bivouac spot in the Chomolungma chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the Cultural Revolution, what were the "Four Ancients" that the Chinese tried to destroy?
2. Why were women included on the 1975 Chinese expedition team?
3. In the Tibetan chapter, how did Messner describe the province of Szechuan?
4. In the Tibetan chapter, what three topics did the interpreter assigned to Messner and Nena continually ask about?
5. As Messner began his ascent of Mount Everest in the Chomolungma chapter, suddenly reaching the summit was not important to him. Explain why reaching the summit lost its importance.
6. As Messner's team traveled back to the base camp in the Rongbuk chapter, what did he notice as he looked at the mountains that made Messner hopeful?
7. According to Messner in the Chomolungma chapter, it would be impossible to reach the summit of Mount Everest without doing what first?
8. In the Tibetan chapter, why did Uemura want to scale Mount Everest in the winter?
9. How did Messner react in the Chomolungma chapter when he escaped the crevasse alive?
10. As Messner studied the North Col, what did he hope would hold true based on the sixteen year weather cycle?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)