|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Messner estimate the nighttime temperatures on Everest were?
(a) -10 degrees Celsius.
(b) -20 degrees Celsius.
(c) -40 degrees Celsius.
(d) -30 degrees Celsius.
2. When Messner got the idea to leave base camp and travel westward in the Rongbuk chapter, where did Messner want to go?
(a) To Bengal Bay.
(b) To Kathmandu.
(c) To Tulshing Rimpoche.
(d) To Shisha Pangma.
3. When Messner and Nena decided to leave their base camp and travel throughout the region because the weather on Everest was terrible in the Tibet chapter, where did they head to?
(a) Ama Dablam.
(b) Nangpa La.
(c) Cho Oyu.
4. According to Messner in the Tibet chapter, how long after landing in the Tsangpo valley did he expect it would take to reach Lhasa by jeep?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
5. According to Messner, altitude made him irritable and nervous. What did altitude NOT affect for Messner?
(a) His courage.
(b) His will-power.
(c) His enthusiasm.
(d) His strength.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Messner climbed to the upper base camp in the Chomolungma chapter, approximately how much did his rucksack weigh?
2. How long did Messner need to recover after descending from the summit of Mount Everest?
3. How much food did Messner have packed in his rucksack as he climbed to the upper base camp in the Chomolungma chapter?
4. In what city did the authorities have a celebratory reception for Messner and his team?
5. As alluded to in the North Col chapter, as Messner and Nena approached the North Col, what alarmed Messner the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Nena and Messner surprised when they reached their small intermediate camp in the Chomolungma chapter?
2. While trapped in the crevasse in the Chomolungma chapter, what promise did Messner make?
3. In the Tibetan chapter, why did Uemura want to scale Mount Everest in the winter?
4. In the Tibetan chapter, what were the two kinds of money Messner described during his time in Peking?
5. Why were women included on the 1975 Chinese expedition team?
6. Why is the summer monsoon of extraordinary importance for the people of India and Nepal?
7. According to Nena in the Tibet chapter, why would Messner's solo ascent be lessened if he took a walkie-talkie with him?
8. When climbing in the Chomolungma chapter, what function did the rest pause serve for Messner?
9. What was the reaction of the world when the Chinese government announced that a Chinese expedition had successfully reached the summit of Mount Everest in 1960?
10. According to Messner in the Chomolungma chapter, why would an attempt to preplan his solo climb be madness?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)