|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was responsible for producing the film about Messner's Ama Dablam expedition?
(a) Jurgen Lehmann.
(b) Sepia Tian-Chi.
(c) Shisha Pangma.
(d) Joachim Hoelzgen.
2. What did Messner say he hated like the plague?
(b) Red tape.
3. What did Messner liken the city of Peking to in the Kanchung chapter?
(a) A warehouse.
(b) A field.
(c) A laboratory.
(d) A mall.
4. As the first person who wanted to scale Everest alone entered Tibet illegally, what was the person disguised as?
(a) A Sherpa.
(b) A guide.
(c) A monk.
(d) A physician.
5. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the third attempt to reach Everest's summit, which two members of the British expedition were buried in an avalanche?
2. Who was the first person to ever want to scale Mount Everest alone?
3. To whom does Messner attribute the quote that begins his book?
4. Who had a special camera with him on expeditions in 1922 and 1924?
5. In what year did the People's Republic of China invade Tibet and end the Dalai Lama's rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Captain Finch originally test his bold plan back in England?
2. According to the Kanchung chapter, the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone was not a mountaineer. Why did this person believe he could scale Everest with no experience?
3. What did the British recognize as too difficult a route in the 1920s and 1930s that is still not climbed to this day?
4. Why did the second person to attempt a solo ascent of Everest decline to use oxygen gear?
5. What made Messner's ascent of the Abruzzi Ridge different from that of previous mountaineers?
6. How did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone first learn about Mount Everest?
7. What did Messner suspect was the main reason that men often invited him to talk over a beer after hearing Messner's lecture?
8. How did Messner describe the region of Solo Khumba in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
9. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why did no one understand the local people better than the leader of the second British expedition to Mount Everest in 1922?
10. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what were the primary motives of the Himalayan mountaineer?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)