|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the British expedition returned to Everest in 1924, how many times were the climbers forced to abandon their higher-elevation camps and return to their base camps because of snowfall and extreme cold?
(a) Four times.
(b) Two times.
(c) Three times.
(d) One time.
2. How many illegal attempts to climb Mount Everest solo were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
3. Where did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest meet the Indian yogis who impressed the man with their teachings about self-discipline?
(a) At a base camp.
(b) On a train.
(c) On a mail boat.
(d) In a plane.
4. To whom does Messner attribute the quote that begins his book?
(a) Sir Francis Youngman.
(b) Sir Francis Younglin.
(c) Sir Francis Younghusband.
(d) Sir Francis Young.
5. When the CMA granted Messner a permit in the Kanchung chapter, which mountain did the permit apply to?
(c) North Col.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the journalist that had been living in Kathmandu for over twenty years and knew practically everything about the region?
2. Who was the third person to unsuccessfully climb Mount Everest solo?
3. In what year did Norton climb as far as the Great Couloir?
4. Where did Oswald Oelz live?
5. After the uprising of March 1959, how many Tibetans fled to India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Sikkim?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Bulle returned to his "real" life in the Kanchung chapter, he threw himself into his job. What was Bulle's primary motivation for taking up his work with such enthusiasm?
2. What made Messner's ascent of the Abruzzi Ridge different from that of previous mountaineers?
3. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what were the primary motives of the Himalayan mountaineer?
4. What unusual item was a standard item placed in the rooms by the hotel in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
5. Because it lies so far above sea level, what is Tibet known as?
6. How did Messner describe the region of Solo Khumba in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
7. What was the bold plan for the second expedition to Everest that Captain Finch came up with?
8. In the Kanchung chapter, how did Messner characterize his homeland of South Tyrol?
9. What was the most interesting part of the lecture tour schedule for Messner in the Kanchung chapter?
10. In the Kanchung chapter, what did the article Messner read in the "Peking Review" state?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)