|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovered that the North Ridge was the ideal approach to the North-East Shoulder?
2. How many of the expedition's porters were killed in the avalanche that occurred during the third attempt to reach Everest's summit?
3. Which member of the British expedition was the last to see the two climbers who were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
4. To whom does Messner attribute the quote that begins his book?
(a) Sir Francis Younglin.
(b) Sir Francis Youngman.
(c) Sir Francis Young.
(d) Sir Francis Younghusband.
5. Where did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest meet the Indian yogis who impressed the man with their teachings about self-discipline?
(a) On a mail boat.
(b) On a train.
(c) At a base camp.
(d) In a plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
2. How many people were involved with the first group of foreign mountaineers to undertake an expedition in Tibet after the creation of the People's Republic?
3. As Messner prepareed for his solo climb in 1980 in the Kanchung chapter, for how long had Messner been divorced?
4. Who owned the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team stayed in after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
5. In what year did Messner and Oelz successfully scale Mount Everest?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why was the team headed to Syangpoche?
2. As Bulle returned to his "real" life in the Kanchung chapter, he threw himself into his job. What was Bulle's primary motivation for taking up his work with such enthusiasm?
3. Upon reading the article in the "Peking Review" in the Kanchung chapter, what became immediately clear to Messner?
4. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why did no one understand the local people better than the leader of the second British expedition to Mount Everest in 1922?
5. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why was each hour of each day so precious to the second British expedition to Mount Everest?
6. How did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone first learn about Mount Everest?
7. What did Messner suspect was the main reason that men often invited him to talk over a beer after hearing Messner's lecture?
8. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what were the primary motives of the Himalayan mountaineer?
9. In 1922 and 1924, the British set up their base camp in the shelter of a moraine under the end of the Rongbuk Glacier. Why was this spot considered ideal?
10. As the book opens, Messner reflects on his first ascent of Everest. What did the mountain mean to Messner?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)