|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon his return to Germany in the Kanchung chapter, how long was Messner detained in Frankfurt's passport control?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) One hour.
(d) Three hours.
2. Which two climbers were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
(a) Mallory and Irvine.
(b) Mallory and Nema.
(c) Irvine and Odell.
(d) Nema and Odell.
3. In the third attempt to reach Everest's summit, which two members of the British expedition were buried in an avalanche?
(a) Mallory and Morshead.
(b) Bruce and Finch.
(c) Bruce and Morshead.
(d) Mallory and Somervell.
4. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
(a) Ten kilos.
(b) Twelve kilos.
(c) Fifteen kilos.
(d) Seven kilos.
5. After the uprising of March 1959, how many Tibetans fled to India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Sikkim?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the second British expedition's assent of Everest, which team member was nauseous and did not continue on past 7,600 meters with the rest of the team?
2. What is the CMA?
3. According to Messner, at what age he did begin climbing?
4. Who owned the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team stayed in after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
5. When an airplane instructor was teaching Wilson to fly, he knew that Wilson would never make a good pilot. What two qualities did Wilson possess according to his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the oxygen apparatus of the 1920's looked like.
2. How did Messner describe the region of Solo Khumba in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
3. According to Messner in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why was Oelz depressed as the team packed for their trip to Syangpoche?
4. How did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest alone first learn about Mount Everest?
5. How did Captain Finch originally test his bold plan back in England?
6. What did the British recognize as too difficult a route in the 1920s and 1930s that is still not climbed to this day?
7. According to Messner in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, why was each hour of each day so precious to the second British expedition to Mount Everest?
8. In the Kanchung chapter, how did Messner characterize his homeland of South Tyrol?
9. What made Messner's ascent of the Abruzzi Ridge different from that of previous mountaineers?
10. When Messner referred to "fair means" in climbing in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what was he referring to?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)