|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item was found in 1933 below the North-East Ridge that led people to speculate that Mallory and Irvine were actually successful in reaching the summit before losing their lives?
(a) An ice axe.
(b) A map.
(c) A helmet.
(d) An oxygen tank.
2. According to the Chomolungma chapter, how high was the Chang La face that Messner had to navigate on his way to the North Col?
(a) 200 meters.
(b) 400 meters.
(c) 300 meters.
(d) 500 meters.
3. What did Messner find to be comical and an unnecessary waste of strength as he was climbing Everest in the Chomolungma chapter?
(a) Stopping to photograph himself.
(b) Stopping to relieve himself.
(c) Stopping to cook soup.
(d) Stopping to write in his diary.
4. After erecting his tent on the second day, how many pictures did Messner take before abandoning photography and climbing into his tent?
5. What did Messner estimate the nighttime temperatures on Everest were?
(a) -40 degrees Celsius.
(b) -10 degrees Celsius.
(c) -30 degrees Celsius.
(d) -20 degrees Celsius.
6. As Messner climbed in the Chomolungma chapter, he felt better than ever climbing above 7000 meters. What caution did Messner give himself?
(a) To not go too fast.
(b) To not lose focus.
(c) To not over-strain himself.
(d) To not get complacent.
7. When Nena and Messner built their main camp after leaving the Rongbuk monastery in the Tibet chapter, at what altitude were they?
(a) 4,700 meters.
(b) 5,100 meters.
(c) 6,100 meters.
(d) 3,500 meters.
8. Instead of returning to the base camp after leaving the Four Dragon Village in the Rongbuk chapter, Messner's group took a detour. Where did the group overnight?
(a) In Chomolungma.
(b) In Pangma.
(c) In Nyalam.
(d) In Shisha.
9. How did Messner feel when he and Nena were in the ruins of the Rongbuk monastery in the Tibet chapter?
10. When Messner was originally reading about the weather patterns and monsoons of the Himalayans, whose work did he read?
(a) Helmut Kraus.
(b) Helmut Grunther.
(c) Helmut Friedman.
(d) Helmut Jurgen.
11. As Messner passed 8000 meters, what did he liken his progress rate to?
(a) A yak.
(b) A snail.
(c) A hare.
(d) A moose.
12. In celebration of his 36th birthday, what mountain did Messner receive a permit to climb solo?
13. In the Tibet chapter, how did Messner and Nena originally decide to travel to their intended destination as they waited for the weather on Everest to clear?
(a) By walking.
(b) By flying.
(c) By driving.
(d) By caravan.
14. As the Chomolungma chapter opens and Messner finally began his ascent of Everest, how long had he been at an altitude of 5000 meters or higher?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Seven weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
15. How many days did Messner believe he needed in order to reach the summit from the advanced base camp?
(a) Six days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Eight days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Messner and Nena decided to leave their base camp and travel throughout the region because the weather on Everest was terrible in the Tibet chapter, where did they head to?
2. What item was NOT packed in Messner's rucksack as he climbed to the upper base camp in the Chomolungma chapter?
3. On what day did the Chinese expedition's assault team finally reach the summit of Mount Everest in 1975?
4. When the jeep finally arrived, where did the team travel to first in the Rongbuk chapter?
5. How many bivouacs above the North Col did Messner believe he would need in order to reach the summit of Mount Everest?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)