|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After sharing barley beer with a family in the Four Dragon Village in the Rongbuk chapter, what did Messner leave with the family as a guest gift?
(a) His pocket knife.
(b) His handkerchief.
(c) His compass.
(d) His diary.
2. Where did Messner want to travel to in celebration of his 36th birthday?
(d) South Tyrol.
3. As Messner continued up the North Face, he did not notice that the weather had turned so bad that he should have turned back. Why did Messner not notice the changing weather?
(a) His exhaustion and visions.
(b) His exhaustion and concentration.
(c) His exertion and concentration.
(d) His exertion and exhaustion.
4. For the Chinese assault on Mount Everest in 1975, how many Chinese and Tibetans were part of the expedition?
5. The advanced base camp that Messner and Nena had been in was once a camp of the 1920s expeditions. Which camp was it?
(a) Camp I.
(b) Camp III.
(c) Camp II.
(d) Camp IV.
6. When Nena first asked Messner to go for a walk with him at the beginning of the North Col chapter to explore the area around the base camp, Messner told her to wait for him. How long did Messner think it would be before he'd be ready to go?
(a) Forty-five minutes.
(b) 60 minutes.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) 90 minutes.
7. As Messner and Nena gathered provisions in Peking in the Tibet chapter, they had an interpreter with them. What was the interpreter's name?
8. When Messner falls through a crevasse in the Chomolungma chapter, how far down does he fall?
(a) About 12 meters.
(b) About 6 meters.
(c) About 4 meters.
(d) About 8 meters.
9. When Messner and Nena left Lhasa in the Tibet chapter, where did they travel to?
10. What mountain's name means "Ridge above the Meadows"?
(a) Shisha Pangma.
(b) Nanga Parbat.
(d) Tulshing Rimpoche.
11. On the way back to the base camp in the Rongbuk chapter, where did the team stop to refill their supplies?
(a) In Shekar.
(b) In Shisha.
(c) In Peking.
(d) In Lhasa.
12. On the first day of his Everest ascent, how long did Messner climb before finally erecting his bivouac tent?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Nine hours.
(d) Seven hours.
13. After the long journey from their base camp to Messner's final destination in the Rongbuk chapter, what were Messner and Nena craving?
14. As Nena and Messner camped for the night at the Rongbuk river just at the edge of a village while waiting for the water to go down enough to safely cross the river, what did Nena write that she felt like?
(a) A prize trophy.
(b) A worker bee.
(c) A novice explorer.
(d) A monkey in a zoo.
15. On what day did Messner leave Nena behind at the base camp and begin his ascent of Mount Everest?
(a) July 18.
(b) July 4.
(c) August 18.
(d) August 4.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the CMA want to turn the ruins of the Rongbuk Monastery into?
2. As Messner planned the route he would use to scale Mount Everest, whose route was he trying not to deviate from?
3. How many days did Messner believe he needed in order to reach the summit from the advanced base camp?
4. On the first day of his Everest ascent, Messner forced himself to drink fluids even though he did not feel thirsty. How much fluid had Messner decided he must drink?
5. After erecting his tent on the second day, how many pictures did Messner take before abandoning photography and climbing into his tent?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)