|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many women who were part of the 1975 Chinese expedition were able to reach heights of more than 8000 meters?
2. As alluded to in the North Col chapter, at what altitude did Messner and Nena plan to set up their midway camp?
(a) 6,000 meters.
(b) 6,750 meters.
(c) 7,000 meters.
(d) 6,250 meters.
3. When climbing, how many paces did Messner take between rests according to the Chomolungma chapter?
(a) 80 paces.
(b) 35 paces.
(c) 50 paces.
(d) 65 paces.
4. In the Tibet chapter, who did Nena send back to Shigatsa because of altitude sickness?
5. While Messner studied the North Col through his binoculars and planned his next objective in the North Col chapter, where were Cheng and Tsao?
(a) At the base camp.
(b) In Peking.
(c) At the midway camp.
(d) In Lhasa.
6. How many days did Messner believe he needed in order to reach the summit from the advanced base camp?
(a) Six days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Eight days.
7. In the Tibet chapter, how did Messner and Nena originally decide to travel to their intended destination as they waited for the weather on Everest to clear?
(a) By walking.
(b) By driving.
(c) By flying.
(d) By caravan.
8. What does "Tashi delek" mean?
(a) Safe travels.
(b) Many blessings.
(c) Peace be yours.
(d) Luck be with you.
9. As Messner climbed in the Chomolungma chapter, he felt better than ever climbing above 7000 meters. What caution did Messner give himself?
(a) To not over-strain himself.
(b) To not lose focus.
(c) To not go too fast.
(d) To not get complacent.
10. According to the liaison officer with Messner, how long should it have taken the traveling party to reach their destination in the Rongbuk chapter?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Four hours.
11. What did the CMA want to turn the ruins of the Rongbuk Monastery into?
(a) A hotel.
(b) An observation post.
(c) A general store.
(d) A weather station.
12. As Messner described Nena watching his ascent from the base campin the Chomolungma chapter, what did Messner liken his tracks to from Nena's perspective?
(a) A winding road.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A ruler.
(d) A shoelace.
13. How many bivouacs above the North Col did Messner believe he would need in order to reach the summit of Mount Everest?
14. Who did Messner send from the base camp to order a jeep for his travel westward in the Rongbuk chapter?
15. For the Chinese assault on Mount Everest in 1975, how many Chinese and Tibetans were part of the expedition?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Tibet chapter, what "sport" did Bulle once liken mountaineering to?
2. According to Messner, altitude made him irritable and nervous. What did altitude NOT affect for Messner?
3. On what day did Messner leave Nena behind at the base camp and begin his ascent of Mount Everest?
4. When Messner and his team finally set off on July 13 from the base camp, how many yaks were carrying Messner's supplies?
5. What was the Potala that Messner spied sitting on the Marpori in the Tibet chapter?i
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)