|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut at the beginning of Messner's book, what season was it?
2. With whom did Messner make his first Everest ascent?
(a) Peter Habeler.
(b) Peter Masters.
(c) Peter Mallory.
(d) Peter Wilson.
3. What does Ganpei mean?
4. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
(a) Fifteen kilos.
(b) Seven kilos.
(c) Twelve kilos.
(d) Ten kilos.
5. According to Messner, at what age he did begin climbing?
(a) Five years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Seven years old.
6. Where did Oswald Oelz live?
7. According to tests, at what altitude could climbers survive at with the use of artificial oxygen?
(a) 9,600 meters.
(b) 7,500 meters.
(c) 8,000 meters.
(d) 9,100 meters.
8. How far above sea level does Tibet lie?
(a) 3,000 meters.
(b) 1,000 meters.
(c) 2,000 meters.
(d) 4,000 meters.
9. What was the nickname of Oswald Oelz?
10. How many prefectures is Tibet divided into?
11. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, how far of a walk did the climbing team undertake to reach their new destination?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Two hours.
12. How large is Tibet?
(a) 0.8 million square kilometers.
(b) 1.2 million square kilometers.
(c) 1.0 million square kilometers.
(d) 1.4 million square kilometers.
13. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
14. Who was one of the first people that Messner told about his newly acquired permit from the CMA in the Kanchung chapter?
15. When the CMA granted Messner a permit in the Kanchung chapter, approximately how much did Messner believe the expedition would cost?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovered that the North Ridge was the ideal approach to the North-East Shoulder?
2. On the second British expedition's assent of Everest, which team member was nauseous and did not continue on past 7,600 meters with the rest of the team?
3. By what nickname was Tenzing Norgay known?
4. When Messner was questioned by the tourists at the hotel in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what did Messner say was a constant companion while climbing a mountain?
5. Halfway through Messner's lecture tour in the Kanchung chapter, who slipped the "Peking Review" into Messner's hand?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)