|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day did Messner sign the contract with the CMA for his solo ascent of Mount Everest?
(a) September 3.
(b) August 3.
(c) April 3.
(d) May 3.
2. How high did the second British expedition reach before being forced to descend the mountain because of a growing storm?
(a) 8,020 meters.
(b) 8,230 meters.
(c) 8,170 meters.
(d) 8,315 meters.
3. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut at the beginning of Messner's book, how long did they have to reach Syangpoche?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
4. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, how far of a walk did the climbing team undertake to reach their new destination?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Two days.
5. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
6. By what nickname was Tenzing Norgay known?
(a) Mountain Man.
(b) Himalayan Tiger.
(c) Climbing Wonder.
(d) Tibetan Lord.
7. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
(a) Twelve kilos.
(b) Ten kilos.
(c) Seven kilos.
(d) Fifteen kilos.
8. What happened to the first person to try to scale Everest alone?
(a) He was buried in an avalanche.
(b) He froze to death.
(c) He starved to death.
(d) He was never found.
9. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
10. What did Messner say he hated like the plague?
(a) Red tape.
11. What was the name of the second person to try to scale Everest alone?
(a) Maurice Wilson.
(b) Edmund Hillary.
(c) George Mallory.
(d) Earl Denman.
12. How many of the expedition's porters were killed in the avalanche that occurred during the third attempt to reach Everest's summit?
13. How many prefectures is Tibet divided into?
14. Where did the first person to want to scale Mount Everest meet the Indian yogis who impressed the man with their teachings about self-discipline?
(a) On a train.
(b) In a plane.
(c) At a base camp.
(d) On a mail boat.
15. What technical aid did Messner consent to use during his climbs?
(a) Ice axe.
(c) Expansion bolts.
(d) Oxygen gear.
Short Answer Questions
1. When an airplane instructor was teaching Wilson to fly, he knew that Wilson would never make a good pilot. What two qualities did Wilson possess according to his teacher?
2. What was the name of the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
3. According to Messner, at what age he did begin climbing?
4. What was NOT one of the crops that the Tibetan economy was based on?
5. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)