|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the second solo attempt on Everest undertaken?
2. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche, where did the climbing team decide to walk to in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
3. What was the name of the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
(a) The Everest View Hotel.
(b) The Everest Inn.
(c) The Mountain Inn.
(d) The Everest Express Hotel.
4. What was the name of the woman that Messner was married to?
5. By what nickname was Tenzing Norgay known?
(a) Climbing Wonder.
(b) Mountain Man.
(c) Himalayan Tiger.
(d) Tibetan Lord.
6. When the CMA granted Messner a permit in the Kanchung chapter, which mountain did the permit apply to?
(c) North Col.
7. How many prefectures is Tibet divided into?
8. What was the name of the Tibetan who helped the first person who wanted to scale Everest alone enter Tibet illegally?
(a) Karma Paul.
(b) Sherpa Jan.
(c) Rinzing Tewang.
(d) Wilson Tsering.
9. According to tests, at what altitude could climbers survive at with the use of artificial oxygen?
(a) 7,500 meters.
(b) 8,000 meters.
(c) 9,600 meters.
(d) 9,100 meters.
10. In the Kanchung chapter as Messner and Bulle returned to Europe, how did Messner characterize the way Bulle was feeling?
11. According to what Messner learned from his journalist friend in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, who received permission for a solo assent of Everest during the winter of 1980-81?
12. What was the name of the second person to try to scale Everest alone?
(a) Edmund Hillary.
(b) Maurice Wilson.
(c) George Mallory.
(d) Earl Denman.
13. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, how far of a walk did the climbing team undertake to reach their new destination?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Two days.
14. How large is Tibet?
(a) 1.0 million square kilometers.
(b) 0.8 million square kilometers.
(c) 1.2 million square kilometers.
(d) 1.4 million square kilometers.
15. In 1924, which of the British climbers set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was the assault camp established by the 1924 British expedition?
2. How many porters lost their lives when the climbers forced to abandon their higher-elevation camps and return to their base camps because of snowfall and extreme cold in 1924?
3. What did Messner liken the city of Peking to in the Kanchung chapter?
4. Who had a special camera with him on expeditions in 1922 and 1924?
5. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)