|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Kanchung—Taboos and Mysteries.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the journalist that had been living in Kathmandu for over twenty years and knew practically everything about the region?
(a) Sarah Crawford.
(b) Elizabeth Hawley.
(c) Mary Mallory.
(d) Shannon Strutt.
2. How far above sea level does Tibet lie?
(a) 4,000 meters.
(b) 1,000 meters.
(c) 3,000 meters.
(d) 2,000 meters.
3. As Messner prepareed for his solo climb in 1980 in the Kanchung chapter, for how long had Messner been divorced?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) One year.
4. What was the name of the woman that Messner was married to?
5. How many illegal attempts to climb Mount Everest solo were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was the assault camp established by the 1924 British expedition?
2. As Messner returned to Europe to begin his lecture tour in the Kanchung chapter, how many weeks had he just spent in Nepal?
3. Where did Oswald Oelz live?
4. How many of the expedition's porters were killed in the avalanche that occurred during the third attempt to reach Everest's summit?
5. After the uprising of March 1959, how many Tibetans fled to India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Sikkim?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)