|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Kanchung—Taboos and Mysteries.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ganpei mean?
2. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
(a) Ten kilos.
(b) Fifteen kilos.
(c) Twelve kilos.
(d) Seven kilos.
3. What is the CMA?
(a) Chinese Mountaineering Association.
(b) Chinese Mountaineering Administration.
(c) Chinese Medical Administration.
(d) Chinese Medical Association.
4. On what day did Messner sign the contract with the CMA for his solo ascent of Mount Everest?
(a) April 3.
(b) August 3.
(c) September 3.
(d) May 3.
5. What was the name of the journalist that had been living in Kathmandu for over twenty years and knew practically everything about the region?
(a) Elizabeth Hawley.
(b) Sarah Crawford.
(c) Shannon Strutt.
(d) Mary Mallory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
2. In the third attempt to reach Everest's summit, which two members of the British expedition were buried in an avalanche?
3. When the British expedition returned to Everest in 1924, how many times were the climbers forced to abandon their higher-elevation camps and return to their base camps because of snowfall and extreme cold?
4. By what nickname was Tenzing Norgay known?
5. As Messner returned to Europe to begin his lecture tour in the Kanchung chapter, how many weeks had he just spent in Nepal?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)