|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Kanchung—Taboos and Mysteries.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the book's opening quote, who could not allow Mount Everest to remain untouched?
(a) Men with any zest for mountaineering.
(b) Men with any sense of adventure.
(c) Men with any courage for challenges.
(d) Men with something to prove.
2. What did Messner liken the city of Peking to in the Kanchung chapter?
(a) A laboratory.
(b) A field.
(c) A mall.
(d) A warehouse.
3. In 1924, which of the British climbers set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
4. Who led the second British expedition to Mount Everest in 1922?
(a) Edward Finch.
(b) Charles Bruce.
(c) George Mallory.
(d) Bruce Charles.
5. On what day did Messner sign the contract with the CMA for his solo ascent of Mount Everest?
(a) August 3.
(b) September 3.
(c) April 3.
(d) May 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had a special camera with him on expeditions in 1922 and 1924?
2. In the third attempt to reach Everest's summit, which two members of the British expedition were buried in an avalanche?
3. What was the primary occupation of Oswald Oelz?
4. What happened to the first person to try to scale Everest alone?
5. Which two climbers were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)