|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Kanchung—Taboos and Mysteries.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When an airplane instructor was teaching Wilson to fly, he knew that Wilson would never make a good pilot. What two qualities did Wilson possess according to his teacher?
(a) Courage and grit.
(b) Grit and determination.
(c) Honesty and determination.
(d) Courage and determination.
2. How high did the second British expedition reach before being forced to descend the mountain because of a growing storm?
(a) 8,315 meters.
(b) 8,230 meters.
(c) 8,020 meters.
(d) 8,170 meters.
3. When the CMA granted Messner a permit in the Kanchung chapter, which mountain did the permit apply to?
(a) North Col.
4. Which two climbers were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
(a) Mallory and Irvine.
(b) Mallory and Nema.
(c) Nema and Odell.
(d) Irvine and Odell.
5. Who owned the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team stayed in after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
(a) The Swiss.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) The Japanese.
(d) The Nepalese.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the second solo attempt on Everest undertaken?
2. In what year did Norton climb as far as the Great Couloir?
3. Halfway through Messner's lecture tour in the Kanchung chapter, who slipped the "Peking Review" into Messner's hand?
4. What was the primary occupation of Oswald Oelz?
5. In the Kanchung chapter, how many lectures was Messner scheduled to give during his European lecture tour?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)