|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Kanchung—Taboos and Mysteries.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the first person who wanted to scale Everest alone entered Tibet illegally, what was the person disguised as?
(a) A monk.
(b) A guide.
(c) A physician.
(d) A Sherpa.
2. Who had a special camera with him on expeditions in 1922 and 1924?
(a) Joseph Grange.
(b) Peter Habeler.
(c) John Noel.
(d) Greg Mallory.
3. When the British expedition returned to Everest in 1924, when did the team arrive?
4. According to Messner, what was the single most important source of foreign currency to Nepal?
(c) Mountaineering expeditions.
(d) Climbing fees.
5. How far above sea level does Tibet lie?
(a) 1,000 meters.
(b) 2,000 meters.
(c) 3,000 meters.
(d) 4,000 meters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Kanchung chapter as Messner and Bulle returned to Europe, how did Messner characterize the way Bulle was feeling?
2. When the CMA granted Messner a permit in the Kanchung chapter, which mountain did the permit apply to?
3. On what day did Messner sign the contract with the CMA for his solo ascent of Mount Everest?
4. How many of the expedition's porters were killed in the avalanche that occurred during the third attempt to reach Everest's summit?
5. In what year was the second solo attempt on Everest undertaken?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)