|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the primary occupation of Oswald Oelz?
(a) An attorney.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A moutaineer.
(d) A teacher.
2. Where did Oswald Oelz live?
3. When Messner was questioned by the tourists at the hotel in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what did Messner say was a constant companion while climbing a mountain?
4. What was the nickname of Oswald Oelz?
5. How high was the assault camp established by the 1924 British expedition?
(a) 8,145 meters.
(b) 8,325 meters.
(c) 8,270 meters.
(d) 8,000 meters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
2. Who discovered that the North Ridge was the ideal approach to the North-East Shoulder?
3. How many prefectures is Tibet divided into?
4. How high did the second British expedition reach before being forced to descend the mountain because of a growing storm?
5. To whom does Messner attribute the quote that begins his book?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)