|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many porters lost their lives when the climbers forced to abandon their higher-elevation camps and return to their base camps because of snowfall and extreme cold in 1924?
2. What name is the 500-meter high ice wall known by?
(a) North-East Ridge.
(b) North Col.
(c) Shangra La face.
(d) Chang La face.
3. What was the primary occupation of Oswald Oelz?
(a) An attorney.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A moutaineer.
4. According to what Messner learned from his journalist friend in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, who received permission for a solo assent of Everest during the winter of 1980-81?
5. Which two climbers were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
(a) Nema and Odell.
(b) Irvine and Odell.
(c) Mallory and Irvine.
(d) Mallory and Nema.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovered that the North Ridge was the ideal approach to the North-East Shoulder?
2. What was the nickname of Oswald Oelz?
3. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, how far of a walk did the climbing team undertake to reach their new destination?
4. According to tests, at what altitude could climbers survive at with the use of artificial oxygen?
5. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)