|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
(a) 8,738 meters.
(b) 8,572 meters.
(c) 8,126 meters.
(d) 8,621 meters.
2. Which member of the British expedition was the last to see the two climbers who were lost on Everest on June 8, 1924?
3. At the time Messner was writing the book, how long had it been since Nepal was forbidden to foreigners?
(a) Only 40 years.
(b) Only 20 years.
(c) Only 10 years.
(d) Only 30 years.
4. How high was the assault camp established by the 1924 British expedition?
(a) 8,270 meters.
(b) 8,145 meters.
(c) 8,325 meters.
(d) 8,000 meters.
5. When Messner was questioned by the tourists at the hotel in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, what did Messner say was a constant companion while climbing a mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut at the beginning of Messner's book, what season was it?
2. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
3. How large is Tibet?
4. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
5. How many years of experience did the man who led the second British expedition to Mount Everest have?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)