|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
(a) Seven kilos.
(b) Ten kilos.
(c) Fifteen kilos.
(d) Twelve kilos.
2. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
(a) 8,621 meters.
(b) 8,738 meters.
(c) 8,126 meters.
(d) 8,572 meters.
3. What was the name of the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
(a) The Mountain Inn.
(b) The Everest Express Hotel.
(c) The Everest Inn.
(d) The Everest View Hotel.
4. How far above sea level does Tibet lie?
(a) 3,000 meters.
(b) 1,000 meters.
(c) 4,000 meters.
(d) 2,000 meters.
5. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had a special camera with him on expeditions in 1922 and 1924?
2. What was the name of the journalist that had been living in Kathmandu for over twenty years and knew practically everything about the region?
3. When the British expedition returned to Everest in 1924, when did the team arrive?
4. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche, where did the climbing team decide to walk to in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter?
5. Who led the second British expedition to Mount Everest in 1922?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)