|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does dzong mean in Tibetan?
2. In what year did the People's Republic of China invade Tibet and end the Dalai Lama's rule?
3. According to what Messner learned from his journalist friend in the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, who received permission for a solo assent of Everest during the winter of 1980-81?
4. With whom did Messner make his first Everest ascent?
(a) Peter Mallory.
(b) Peter Habeler.
(c) Peter Wilson.
(d) Peter Masters.
5. At what altitude did the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book lie?
(a) 4,000 meters above sea level.
(b) 3,500 meters above sea level.
(c) 4,500 meters above sea level.
(d) 3,000 meters above sea level.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did each portable oxygen system weigh that the British expedition's climbers carried?
2. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
3. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut at the beginning of Messner's book, what season was it?
4. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
5. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, how far of a walk did the climbing team undertake to reach their new destination?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)