|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 21-33, Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Messner first ascend Everest?
2. In what year did Norton climb as far as the Great Couloir?
3. Who discovered that the North Ridge was the ideal approach to the North-East Shoulder?
4. What name is the 500-meter high ice wall known by?
(a) North-East Ridge.
(b) North Col.
(c) Shangra La face.
(d) Chang La face.
5. In the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, Messner needed to leave Nepal because he had a lecture tour beginning. Where did Messner's European lecture tour start?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Messner, at what age he did begin climbing?
2. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
3. What was NOT one of the crops that the Tibetan economy was based on?
4. What was the nickname of Oswald Oelz?
5. At what altitude did the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book lie?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)