|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 21-33, Mount Everest—Fairytale and Reality.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the book's opening quote, who could not allow Mount Everest to remain untouched?
(a) Men with any sense of adventure.
(b) Men with any courage for challenges.
(c) Men with something to prove.
(d) Men with any zest for mountaineering.
2. Where did Oswald Oelz live?
3. In the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, Messner needed to leave Nepal because he had a lecture tour beginning. Where did Messner's European lecture tour start?
4. What was the primary occupation of Oswald Oelz?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) An attorney.
(d) A moutaineer.
5. To whom does Messner attribute the quote that begins his book?
(a) Sir Francis Young.
(b) Sir Francis Younglin.
(c) Sir Francis Youngman.
(d) Sir Francis Younghusband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many prefectures is Tibet divided into?
2. Who owned the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team stayed in after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
3. What was the name of the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book?
4. After giving up on their original mission in Syangpoche in the early pages of the Mount Everest-Fairytale and Reality chapter, how far of a walk did the climbing team undertake to reach their new destination?
5. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)