|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chomolungma—Ascent and Descent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what altitude did the hotel in Syangpoche that the climbing team was headed to after leaving the Sherpa hut in the beginning of the book lie?
(a) 4,000 meters above sea level.
(b) 3,500 meters above sea level.
(c) 3,000 meters above sea level.
(d) 4,500 meters above sea level.
2. When the Dalai Lama fled from Tibet, where did the Dalai Lama go?
3. According to Messner, altitude made him irritable and nervous. What did altitude NOT affect for Messner?
(a) His will-power.
(b) His enthusiasm.
(c) His courage.
(d) His strength.
4. In what year did the proclamation of the "Autonomous Region of Tibet" occur?
5. How many British attempts to ascend Mount Everest were undertaken between 1921 and 1949?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Messner, what was the single most important source of foreign currency to Nepal?
2. According to the Chomolungma chapter, how far of a hike was it from the standing camp and the high camp?
3. In 1924, which of the British climbers set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
4. By what nickname was Tenzing Norgay known?
5. When the jeep finally arrived, where did the team travel to first in the Rongbuk chapter?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)