|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chomolungma—Ascent and Descent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Messner, at what age he did begin climbing?
(a) Five years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Seven years old.
2. As alluded to in the North Col chapter, as Messner and Nena approached the North Col, what alarmed Messner the most?
(a) The number of avalanches.
(b) The severe temperatures.
(c) The history of failure.
(d) The approaching monsoons.
3. What was the name of the journalist that had been living in Kathmandu for over twenty years and knew practically everything about the region?
(a) Mary Mallory.
(b) Sarah Crawford.
(c) Shannon Strutt.
(d) Elizabeth Hawley.
4. How high was Messner when he finally found a suitable bivouac spot in the Chomolungma chapter?
(a) 7,800 meters.
(b) 8,000 meters.
(c) 7,500 meters.
(d) 7,650 meters.
5. When the climbing team woke up in the Sherpa hut at the beginning of Messner's book, how long did they have to reach Syangpoche?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) Two hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname was Tenzing Norgay known?
2. In the Kanchung chapter, how many lectures was Messner scheduled to give during his European lecture tour?
3. A few days after being forced to descend Everest because of the storm, which two team members were able to ascend to 8,321 meters during the second British expedition?
4. After erecting his tent on the second day, how many pictures did Messner take before abandoning photography and climbing into his tent?
5. What was the Potala that Messner spied sitting on the Marpori in the Tibet chapter?i
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)