|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rongbuk—In the Wake of the Cultural Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high did the second British expedition reach before being forced to descend the mountain because of a growing storm?
(a) 8,230 meters.
(b) 8,020 meters.
(c) 8,315 meters.
(d) 8,170 meters.
2. In 1924, what was the altitude reached by the British climber who set a record for the highest altitude reached climbing without oxygen?
(a) 8,126 meters.
(b) 8,738 meters.
(c) 8,572 meters.
(d) 8,621 meters.
3. What mountain's name means "Ridge above the Meadows"?
(a) Shisha Pangma.
(b) Nanga Parbat.
(d) Tulshing Rimpoche.
4. When Messner and Nena left Lhasa in the Tibet chapter, where did they travel to?
5. When the British expedition returned to Everest in 1924, how many times were the climbers forced to abandon their higher-elevation camps and return to their base camps because of snowfall and extreme cold?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
(c) One time.
(d) Two times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the first woman to successfully reach the summit of Mount Everest?
2. How many women who were part of the 1975 Chinese expedition were able to reach heights of more than 8000 meters?
3. When the British expedition returned to Everest in 1924, when did the team arrive?
4. Who was the deputy leader of the 1975 Chinese expedition?
5. How high was the assault camp established by the 1924 British expedition?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)