• This book chronicles Reinhold Messner's solo climb of Mount Everest in 1980.
• Messner was the first person to successfully scale Mount Everest alone.
• The book opens with Younghusband's 1921 quote that standing on the summit of Everest has been in the minds of men for decades.
• Messner also quotes Younghusband in saying that trying to reach the limits of one's capacity is the driving force behind achievement.
• After the introduction, photographs depicting Mount Everest, as well as maps and equipment from early expeditions are shown.
• Seven of the early climbs were undertaken by British teams between 1921 and 1949.
• In addition to the team attempts, two solo attempts, which were illegal at the time, were undertaken.
• Until 1949, Tibet was under the control of the Dalai Lama under theocratic-lamaistic rule.
• In 1950, Tibet was invaded by the People's Republic of China.
• The oxygen cylinders used by the early climbers were...
This section contains 2,233 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)