|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new king after Ambrosius passed?
2. What kind of ritual does Merlin attend once there?
3. Who did Merlin find the old mine with long ago?
4. With whom did Brithael ride back?
5. What is on the flag that falls to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Niniane say about the parentage of Merlin?
2. Who does Merlin begin to have a crush on?
3. How is Lady Niniane described in this section?
4. What does Merlin attend with Ambrosius?
5. What does Merlin reveal to the dying Cadal?
6. What does Cadal say about Merlin's vision?
7. What happens in the battle between Merlin and Brithael?
8. What happened when Ambrosius died?
9. What news does the real Brithael give to the Lady Ygraine?
10. What does Merlin realize as he is sitting watching the battle at Maesbeli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merlin is exposed to many things as he is growing up, learning many valuable tools along his travels and changes in environment.
Part 1 - List at least 4 subjects Merlin is taught and the teachers who taught these subjects to him.
Part 2 - How does Merlin use each of these lessons in the novel?
Part 3 - Do you think Merlin is a better engineer or a magician? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Merlin is a powerful person, but seems to fall apart when he is with the opposite sex. This dichotomy only helps to strengthen the mystique of Merlin in the novel.
Part 1 - Describe the troubles Merlin has with women. Who has he fallen for and what was the result?
Part 2 - Why do you think Merlin has troubles with the opposite sex?
Part 3 - Why do you think the author decided to give Merlin a sort of weakness with women? What does this reveal about Merlin's personality?
Essay Topic 3
The falcon/merlin are symbols of Merlin's personality. By finding the bird, Merlin seems to find himself as well.
Part 1 - Describe the way in which Merlin came upon this bird in the first place. What happened to bring the bird to Merlin?
Part 2 - In what ways is Merlin like this falcon? Describe the behavioral traits of Merlin that relate to the bird.
Part 3 - Compare and contrast the ringdove and the falcon. How does this relate to Merlin?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)