|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else do the men want to talk to besides Merlin?
2. Who did Merlin find the old mine with long ago?
3. Who is Ygraine's servant?
4. When does Ambrosius go to Caerleon?
5. What does Merlin do with Cadal's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the battle between Merlin and Brithael?
2. What does Merlin reveal to the dying Cadal?
3. What does Merlin do when he arrives home?
4. When Merlin is told the men think of him as a prophet, what does Merlin think?
5. Why was Killare thought of as a holy place?
6. Why is Uther mad at Merlin at the end of this story?
7. Why does Uther have no problem going up into the Lady Ygraine's room?
8. How would Merlin's mood be described as Uther is with Ygraine?
9. What news does the real Brithael give to the Lady Ygraine?
10. Where does Merlin stop on his way to Caerleon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that Merlin is a bastard child is something that haunts him and then helps him in the story. Being singled out seems to have given him an advantage over his companions.
Part 1 - What are the results of Merlin's reputation as a bastard child when he is young? When he is older?
Part 2 - Does this label seem to affect Merlin? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3 - When Merlin does discover who his father is, what does that mean to him?
Essay Topic 2
The falcon/merlin are symbols of Merlin's personality. By finding the bird, Merlin seems to find himself as well.
Part 1 - Describe the way in which Merlin came upon this bird in the first place. What happened to bring the bird to Merlin?
Part 2 - In what ways is Merlin like this falcon? Describe the behavioral traits of Merlin that relate to the bird.
Part 3 - Compare and contrast the ringdove and the falcon. How does this relate to Merlin?
Essay Topic 3
At many times, Merlin seems to work "magic" on others through his words and not through physical or magical trickery.
Part 1 -Describe the way in which Merlin battles with Marric and Hanno on the boat.
Part 2 - How does Merlin use words to save himself?
Part 3 - In what others ways does Merlin use his wits to save his life? Describe specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)