|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the terrible news in #169?
2. Where does Merlin stop as he travels with Ambrosius' troops?
3. Who is the new king after Ambrosius passed?
4. Who flees with Uther when his men arrive in Killare?
5. Merlin says that if they had waited, the right _________ would not have been born.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlin do when he arrives home?
2. What happened when Ambrosius died?
3. What happens to Dinias?
4. What does Cadal say about Merlin's vision?
5. What does Lady Niniane say about the parentage of Merlin?
6. How is Lady Niniane described in this section?
7. What does Blackbeard do to Dinias after he tells Merlin to come with him to see the King?
8. What does Merlin reveal to the dying Cadal?
9. Why is Uther upset with Merlin?
10. Why does Merlin go to see the Lady Ygraine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many times, Merlin seems to work "magic" on others through his words and not through physical or magical trickery.
Part 1 -Describe the way in which Merlin battles with Marric and Hanno on the boat.
Part 2 - How does Merlin use words to save himself?
Part 3 - In what others ways does Merlin use his wits to save his life? Describe specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Within this book, the fate of a person being determined by one's parentage seems to be a constant theme. Many of the characters are influenced by their parents throughout their lives.
Part 1 - Describe the fate of Merlin as it relates to his parentage.
Part 2 - Describe the fate of Uther as it relates to his family situation.
Part 3 - Describe one other relationship between parent and child and how it affected both persons in the relationship.
Essay Topic 3
The idea that Merlin is a bastard child is something that haunts him and then helps him in the story. Being singled out seems to have given him an advantage over his companions.
Part 1 - What are the results of Merlin's reputation as a bastard child when he is young? When he is older?
Part 2 - Does this label seem to affect Merlin? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3 - When Merlin does discover who his father is, what does that mean to him?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)