|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the stranger lights a candle in the crystal chamber?
2. What does Merlin do when he hears the scream in the woods?
3. What happens when Merlin enters the cave?
4. Where does Merlin go to hide?
5. What does Merlin buy when they land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Merlin wanted to go to Sergontium, but his father thought he was too weak. How did Merlin talk his father into letting him go?
2. What does Merlin tell Ambrosius about Lady Niniane?
3. What was the significance of the scene Merlin saw with the bull?
4. What has Merlin been learning as his has spent his time in Less Britain with Ambrosius?
5. What does Merlin do in order to keep warm?
6. What does Galapas do when Merlin asks him to show him how to see visions?
7. What happens after Merlin escapes?
8. What are some of the physical characteristics of Galapas?
9. What do Merlin and Cadal find when they arrive back at Galapas' cave?
10. What does Merlin say when the men ask him for his name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The images of the dragons are common in this story. They offer signs, omens, and information to those who are looking for them or who are knowledgeable about their meaning.
Part 1 - Give three examples of dragon symbols in this story.
Part 2 - Describe the significance of each of the dragon symbols you've chosen.
Part 3 - What are your thoughts as to the relevance of the dragon as a major symbol. What does the dragon stand for?
Essay Topic 2
Many men in this story are betrayed, even by those they thought were closest to them.
Part 1 - Give three examples of characters who were betrayed, who they were betrayed by, and what happened to each.
Part 2 - What does the theme of betrayal seem to say about this time period?
Part 3 - Is betrayal avoidable in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Like so many other novels, the pursuit of power seems to be the downfall of many characters.
Part 1 - Name 3 characters who are pursuing power in this story.
Part 2 - How does each character pursue their own definitions of power?
Part 3 - What is the end result for each of these characters? What does this say about each character?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)