|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Hanno and Marric going?
2. How old is Merlin when his teacher begins to teach him about the crystal cave?
3. Who is Merlin's mother?
4. Who approaches Merlin?
5. Who is the High King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlin have a vision of when he goes back to talk with Ambrosius?
2. What does Galapas do when Merlin asks him to show him how to see visions?
3. What do Merlin and Cadal find when they arrive back at Galapas' cave?
4. What happens to Merlin as they journey by boat?
5. What was the significance of the scene Merlin saw with the bull?
6. What does Merlin see when he enters the cave?
7. Why does Ulfin go to Belasius to tell him that Merlin needs a new pony?
8. What does Merlin buy when he arrives across the sea?
9. Describe a typical day in Sergontium when Merlin and the rest go there.
10. What does Merlin tell Ambrosius about Lady Niniane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that Merlin is a bastard child is something that haunts him and then helps him in the story. Being singled out seems to have given him an advantage over his companions.
Part 1 - What are the results of Merlin's reputation as a bastard child when he is young? When he is older?
Part 2 - Does this label seem to affect Merlin? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3 - When Merlin does discover who his father is, what does that mean to him?
Essay Topic 2
Merlin is a curious creature in this novel from beginning to end. And at times, this is not a good quality to have.
Part 1 - Describe one way in which Merlin's curiosity helps him. What happens? What actions does he take and what is the result?
Part 2 - Describe one time in which Merlin's curiosity hurts him? What happens? What actions does he take and what is the result?
Part 3 - Does Merlin's curiosity seem to be a bad or a good thing? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Time seems to be scattered in this novel, with time slowing down and then speeding up at irregular intervals.
Part 1 - What is the importance of time in this novel? Is it important? Why?
Part 2 - What does Merlin's storytelling and the lapses in the time periods seem to say about Merlin?
Part 3 - Can the reader understand the story when it's not told in a linear fashion? Why or why not?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)