|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "For Dad," the narrator says, "I wish the ref could stop the clock of" what?
2. What does Josh say Uncle Bob's lemon pound cake looks like in "Santa Claus Stops By"?
3. What school has Josh's team just defeated in "Article #1 in the Daily News (December 14)"?
4. What does the postscript say in "Dear Jordan"?
5. Who did Josh's dad call "a selfish millionaire with a bad attitude," according to the narrator in "Churlish"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that Josh lists in "Mom, Since You Asked, I’ll Tell You Why I’m So Angry"?
2. What advice does Josh's father give him regarding JB in "The Nosebleed Section"?
3. How would you describe the mood of the poem "After" in "Third Quarter"? How does the author develop this mood?
4. What does Josh ask his father in "Okay, Dad'? What ultimatum does he make?
5. How is the word "profusely" explored in the poem that has the same name?
6. Why does Josh point out the irony of the doctor's name in "The Next Morning"?
7. What thoughts and emotions does Josh express in "Dear Jordan"?
8. What are some of the questions that appear in the poem "Questions" in "Fourth Quarter"?
9. What is revealed by the phone call in "As We’re About to Leave for the Final Game"? How does the Bell family respond?
10. How does the advice in "Basketball Rule #9" apply to life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several poems throughout The Crossover are titled "Basketball Rule #." What is the significance of these particular poems? How do these poems stand out stylistically from the others in the verse novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are some examples of literary or pop cultural allusions in The Crossover? What purpose does each example serve? How to the literary allusions in the novel connect to the characters or themes in The Crossover?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of nicknames in The Crossover. What is Josh's nickname and what significance does it have? What is Chuck's nickname and how did he obtain it? How do these nicknames reflect upon the characters in the story?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)