|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josh describe doing during practice in "This Week, I"?
2. What is the court described as doing in the poem "The Last Shot"?
3. At what hospital is Josh's family in "The Doctor Pats Jordand and Me on the Back and Says"?
4. How is JB described in "After"?
5. What is the punchline for Josh's dad's joke in "Final Jeopardy," "Y'all know what the mama turkey said to her naughty son?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Josh's father give him regarding JB in "The Nosebleed Section"?
2. Why does Josh say JB hates basketball in "Myocardial Infarction"?
3. What character is compared to a storm in the poem "Storm"? How does the author make this comparison?
4. What news is related in the poem "Article #1 in the Daily News (December 14)"?
5. How is "Churlish" defined in the poem with the same name? How does Josh apply this term to his life?
6. What does Josh ask his father in "Okay, Dad'? What ultimatum does he make?
7. How would you describe the mood of the poem "After" in "Third Quarter"? How does the author develop this mood?
8. What stylistic elements stand out in the poem "Fast Break"?
9. What is the focus and meaning of "Basketball Rule #7"?
10. How are the Christmas celebrations described in "Santa Claus Stops By"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several poems throughout The Crossover are titled "Basketball Rule #." What is the significance of these particular poems? How do these poems stand out stylistically from the others in the verse novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style of the poems in The Crossover. Does the author employ rhyme and meter throughout the poems? What are examples of similes, metaphors, and other literary devices employed in the poems?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Josh Bell in The Crossover. How old is Josh? What are his likes and dislikes? What relationships does Josh form and/or share with the other characters in the story?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)