|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many seconds are left to go in the game when the coach calls time-out in "For Dad"?
2. In one line from the poem "Mom, Since You Asked, I'll Tell You Why I'm So Angry," Josh says, "Because the only thing that matters is" what?
3. Where does Josh describe volunteering in "This Week, I"?
4. What does JB's girlfriend ask for seconds of at the dinner table in "The Girl Who Stole My Brother"?
5. What is the second word that extends downward on the page in the poem "Fast Break"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts and emotions does Josh express in "Dear Jordan"?
2. What news is related in the poem "Article #1 in the Daily News (December 14)"?
3. What are some of the questions that appear in the poem "Questions" in "Fourth Quarter"?
4. What does Josh's mother say happens to "boys with no self-control" (138) in "Suspension"? What does she mean by this statement?
5. How is "Churlish" defined in the poem with the same name? How does Josh apply this term to his life?
6. What is related of Vondie's girlfriend in "Even Vondie"?
7. What information is related in "Text Messages from Vondie"?
8. How is the word "profusely" explored in the poem that has the same name?
9. What are some of the reasons that Josh lists in "Mom, Since You Asked, I’ll Tell You Why I’m So Angry"?
10. What character is compared to a storm in the poem "Storm"? How does the author make this comparison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some examples of literary or pop cultural allusions in The Crossover? What purpose does each example serve? How to the literary allusions in the novel connect to the characters or themes in The Crossover?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Josh's dreadlocks in The Crossover. What reasons does Josh give for having dreadlocks? What does it signify when his dreadlocks are cut off? Who cuts them off?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Vondie Little in The Crossover. How do Josh and JB know Vondie? How do their relationships evolve in the course of the narrative? Is Vondie a likable character? Why or why not?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)