|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job has Josh's dad been given an offer for in "I Run into Dad's Room"?
2. In what tense is the poem "This Week, I" related?
3. What does JB's girlfriend ask for seconds of at the dinner table in "The Girl Who Stole My Brother"?
4. What is Vondie's girlfriend's favorite color described as in "Even Vondie"?
5. How does JB travel to the hospital in "As We're About to Leave for the Final Game"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that Josh lists in "Mom, Since You Asked, I’ll Tell You Why I’m So Angry"?
2. What thoughts and emotions does Josh express in "Dear Jordan"?
3. How are the Christmas celebrations described in "Santa Claus Stops By"?
4. How is "Churlish" defined in the poem with the same name? How does Josh apply this term to his life?
5. What does Josh's mother say happens to "boys with no self-control" (138) in "Suspension"? What does she mean by this statement?
6. What is revealed by the phone call in "As We’re About to Leave for the Final Game"? How does the Bell family respond?
7. What is related of Vondie's girlfriend in "Even Vondie"?
8. What character is compared to a storm in the poem "Storm"? How does the author make this comparison?
9. How does the advice in "Basketball Rule #9" apply to life?
10. How is the word "profusely" explored in the poem that has the same name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Chuck and Crystal Bell in The Crossover. For how long have they been married? Who appears to dominate this relationship? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What are some examples of literary or pop cultural allusions in The Crossover? What purpose does each example serve? How to the literary allusions in the novel connect to the characters or themes in The Crossover?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Vondie Little in The Crossover. How do Josh and JB know Vondie? How do their relationships evolve in the course of the narrative? Is Vondie a likable character? Why or why not?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)